“They always surprise you”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #21 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“They always surprise you”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed here again on business and as a regular customer I was delighted to be given a free room upgrade. The room was 'fabulous'! I dined in the bar restaurant and was treated to some really tasty locally sourced food - reccomend the baby piri piri chicken.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed the room and I must agree the food quality in the Grill is superb! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Sean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Glasgow
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed here on Wed 27th Feb and had the usual warm welcome at reception. I was advised that I had been upgraded to a junior suite and on first inspection the room was lovely in a quirky kind of minimalist way. The one issue I did have was that the radiator control valve was broken and there was no way to turn off the radiator. This left me with the option of putting on the AC or opening the window. I chose to open the window with the draw back that I was woken by the delivery vehicles around 5.00am :-( . Next on the agenda was breakfast which was 10/10. I advised reception of the broken valve and I can only trust that they got it sorted. Overall, an enjoyable stay and I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for providing the hotel with details of your recent visit to ABode. Whilst delighted to read that you will be returning to stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of the radiator and the subsequent poor sleep there after.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I stayed here one Sunday night in January and have to say that this is probably the most disappointing hotel experience I've ever had. Admittedly my expectations were high but then as it's a 4* hotel and has Michael Caines' name attached, perhaps that's understandable. I had a nice welcome and was very impressed with the slendour of the exterior of the hotel, the lobby and the staircase. Wonderful. But I was in for a surprise when I entered my 'comfortable' room on the second floor.

I've a litany of complaints about my room. The TV channels were rubbish - the five terrestrial ones, plus SKY Sports, BBC News 24, 'True Movies', Sky One, Nickelodeon and Russia Today. Not even More4 or ITV2?! There's no wardrobe, just shelving and the ironing board is exposed. Some of the furniture was obviously cheap, with the red chairs weirdly not fitting in at all. I liked, though, the quirky calendar in the bathroom and overall the room was like three designers had had clashing styles and went ahead resulting in a hybrid of an industrial/vaguely minimal/borderline 'cheap B&B' dated look that isn't a comfortable experience. The bed was very low with the wooden frame that sticks out was a pain to navigate, as was trying to write and type on the cramped desk. I also wasn't crazy about the exposed pipes. I went out shopping just after I checked in and even though the weather was horrid I almost didn't want to come back to the hotel, a first for me. I've attached a picture of one view of my room and I couldn't agree more with the people who've said the room was like being in a prison cell or school room, which I think the parquet flooring is partly responsible for.

The wi-fi is free but weak so don't bother trying to download or stream anything here.

Perhaps the worst single thing about the room was the noise which was appalling. My room faced Paton Street which enters Piccadilly and the noise from vehicles, and people walking past both on the Sunday night and Monday morning was awful. I was woken around 7, then half an hour later I heard a member of staff pulling a trolley UPSTAIRS...yes folks, from my room on the second floor I could hear noise from the floor above because of the parquet flooring which just doesn't absorb noise properly (if at all). I noticed other reviewers complaining about the noise of the doors which I found dreadful on my visit. Hotel doors can be annoying but here it was on another level. The walls were pretty thin, too. Don't expect a cosy night in at this hotel.

Security here is a joke - the entrance and exit leads directly onto the street and you don't need a card or code to get in, though maybe there's a doorman at busy times that I didn't see...I hope.

The bathroom was very big which I liked - see picture attached. But what a shame the toiletries were so sparse (matching the room). All I had was a bar of soap and some shampoo.

If I'd had the spare money, I honestly would have checked out and checked in over the road at the Malmaison.

I noticed some other reviewers got free upgrades...makes you wonder how the staff select the guests they want in the smarter rooms, really...

Unless you only want to sleep here for a few hours I wouldn't bother staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank globalcitizen_1985
Lanarkshire
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Well, what to expect- a short distance from the train station and really central. A small reception area, with limited seating ( not good if you need to take a call before 2pm when there is access to the room ). Beautiful tiled staircase and lovely parque floors, but my room was just dull. Obviously they has spent money on tasteful furnishings, but lighting was poor, both for natural light, but also interior lights.
Early dinner was good value, if a little small on the portions, but excellent quality food. Breakfast selection was fine. Overall, it didn't live up to expectations

Room Tip: try for a corner - and some windows
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured your comments are highly valued.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

This Hotel was everything I expected from a boutique Manchester City Centre Hotel. Location was fantastic for the city and the room was really lovely (stayed in a desirable room) the bed was amazing air sprung matress which was the best bed Ive ever stayed in. The hotel was quiet and the room had blackout curtains so we had a much needed lie in on Sunday after going to a dance event on Saturday night. The shower was a waterfall shower and just perfect. The staff were lovely and I would definately stay here again and would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The desirable rooms were definatley worth the money very spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

What a brilliant way for friends to share a special occasion....the whole concept of the girls night in is very good. The staff were really friendly and helpful, especially James (cafe). Only gripe was that you had to choose between the Continental and English breakfasts you weren't allowed to have both (£5) extra if you wanted both! Overall we had a fantastic weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide details of your recent overnight stay with us here at the ABode. Our Girls Night In Package is proving most popular so I am thrilled you all had such a great experience. I have passed on your kind words too James who in turn sends his appreciation.
Best regards
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 2 March 2013

A short walk from Piccadilly Station this hotel makes a nice change from the usual impersonal city hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly. As you might expect because of its location it can be a bit noisy I would definitely stay again. Our room was nicely decorated with funky touches, warm and comfortable, maybe a fresh lick of paint . Our meal in the bar/restaurant was fresh and tasty although my husband is convinced that they skimped on the wine! There is another posh restaurant in the hotel, we didn't go so can't comment.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family