“Great Hotel”

ABode Manchester
Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stay at this hotel whenever I am in manchester.The rooms are well presented and the beds are really comfortable. The staff are welcoming and friendly and will do their utmost best to ensure you have a good stay. Bar and restaurant has a great atmosphere and the food is excellent. I have stayed in nearly all of the hotels in manchester at some point over the past year, and the Abode is by far the best in my personal opion.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear guest,
My sincere thanks for taking the time to provide details of your recent visit with ourselves here at the ABode. The team strive to ensure our guests recieve a first class experience throughout their time with us and to recieve such a positive review will no doubt reinforce that desire.
Sean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our five day business trip to Manchester had our usual room find the hotel a home from home always made welcome.Special thanks to Natalie and Maria on reception and to James in the restaurant who make Abode what it is

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,
My thanks for your review of your recent stay with ABode. I am delighted the team ensured your stay was a memorable one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Leamington Spa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

I've stayed at the Abode numerous times and think it's one of the best hotels in Manchester - the rooms are excellent and the dining room and bar superb for someone staying away on business (though equally I'd bring my wife if the opportunity arose).

On my most recent visit in March I got an upgrade to the fifth floor and was amazed with the room provided - cinema screen, complimentary drinks/snacks and bucket loads of space.

The service has always been excellent and the staff are friendly and professional - if I can get in I always stay here.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter where you stay in the hotel - all the rooms are great, but if you want a superb o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the ABode. I am delighted your experience was such a positive one. The team strive to deliver exceptional service in all areas of the business so it is pleasing to read this was provided to you.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a stay at the Abode Manchester. From the moment we phoned to make an emergency booking (the hotel we were originally booked into across the road was dreadful and we had to leave) the Staff at the Abode were absolutely wonderful. They found us a room within our budget and because it was my partners birthday they went out of their way to make it special. They booked us into a Junior suite at a greatly reduced rate and even gave us a complimentry glass of fizz in the bar. The room was clean and had plenty of space to relax with all the amenties and more that you would expect from a 4* hotel. The food in the bar and restaurant was lovely and reasonably priced.
Thanks to the attentive friendly staff we had a lovely stay and will be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a romantic stay the rooms at the back of the hotel are extremely quiet and yo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed here again on business and as a regular customer I was delighted to be given a free room upgrade. The room was 'fabulous'! I dined in the bar restaurant and was treated to some really tasty locally sourced food - reccomend the baby piri piri chicken.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed the room and I must agree the food quality in the Grill is superb! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed here on Wed 27th Feb and had the usual warm welcome at reception. I was advised that I had been upgraded to a junior suite and on first inspection the room was lovely in a quirky kind of minimalist way. The one issue I did have was that the radiator control valve was broken and there was no way to turn off the radiator. This left me with the option of putting on the AC or opening the window. I chose to open the window with the draw back that I was woken by the delivery vehicles around 5.00am :-( . Next on the agenda was breakfast which was 10/10. I advised reception of the broken valve and I can only trust that they got it sorted. Overall, an enjoyable stay and I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for providing the hotel with details of your recent visit to ABode. Whilst delighted to read that you will be returning to stay, please accept my sincere apologies for the condition of the radiator and the subsequent poor sleep there after.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I stayed here one Sunday night in January and have to say that this is probably the most disappointing hotel experience I've ever had. Admittedly my expectations were high but then as it's a 4* hotel and has Michael Caines' name attached, perhaps that's understandable. I had a nice welcome and was very impressed with the slendour of the exterior of the hotel, the lobby and the staircase. Wonderful. But I was in for a surprise when I entered my 'comfortable' room on the second floor.

I've a litany of complaints about my room. The TV channels were rubbish - the five terrestrial ones, plus SKY Sports, BBC News 24, 'True Movies', Sky One, Nickelodeon and Russia Today. Not even More4 or ITV2?! There's no wardrobe, just shelving and the ironing board is exposed. Some of the furniture was obviously cheap, with the red chairs weirdly not fitting in at all. I liked, though, the quirky calendar in the bathroom and overall the room was like three designers had had clashing styles and went ahead resulting in a hybrid of an industrial/vaguely minimal/borderline 'cheap B&B' dated look that isn't a comfortable experience. The bed was very low with the wooden frame that sticks out was a pain to navigate, as was trying to write and type on the cramped desk. I also wasn't crazy about the exposed pipes. I went out shopping just after I checked in and even though the weather was horrid I almost didn't want to come back to the hotel, a first for me. I've attached a picture of one view of my room and I couldn't agree more with the people who've said the room was like being in a prison cell or school room, which I think the parquet flooring is partly responsible for.

The wi-fi is free but weak so don't bother trying to download or stream anything here.

Perhaps the worst single thing about the room was the noise which was appalling. My room faced Paton Street which enters Piccadilly and the noise from vehicles, and people walking past both on the Sunday night and Monday morning was awful. I was woken around 7, then half an hour later I heard a member of staff pulling a trolley UPSTAIRS...yes folks, from my room on the second floor I could hear noise from the floor above because of the parquet flooring which just doesn't absorb noise properly (if at all). I noticed other reviewers complaining about the noise of the doors which I found dreadful on my visit. Hotel doors can be annoying but here it was on another level. The walls were pretty thin, too. Don't expect a cosy night in at this hotel.

Security here is a joke - the entrance and exit leads directly onto the street and you don't need a card or code to get in, though maybe there's a doorman at busy times that I didn't see...I hope.

The bathroom was very big which I liked - see picture attached. But what a shame the toiletries were so sparse (matching the room). All I had was a bar of soap and some shampoo.

If I'd had the spare money, I honestly would have checked out and checked in over the road at the Malmaison.

I noticed some other reviewers got free upgrades...makes you wonder how the staff select the guests they want in the smarter rooms, really...

Unless you only want to sleep here for a few hours I wouldn't bother staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo