“Excellent customer service when problem encountered”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #23 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Planned on staying here a single night on business. Arrived late (close to 11pm) after a long and rather exhausting day

Hotel is 2 mins walk from Piccadilly and looks impressive - well converted old building while keeping great period features.
I was the last guest to check in and was told I had a comfortable room booked but the shower was broken. The hotel was fully booked and therefore there was no other option but to accept the room. Both receptionist and duty manager were fully apologetic and did offer me a complementary meal/bottle of wine which had I not already eaten/needing to be up early for a meeting in the morning may have been of some value.

I got to the room and with the exception of the broken shower, it appeared to be spacious, clean and well appointed.
I then received a call from the duty manager informing me she had secured me a room across the road in the Malmaison if I was interested - this is exactly what I needed as I was then able to have a shower and relax

Would happily try to stay at this property again and have nothing but praise for both receptionist and duty manager (apologies but didn't catch their names) they were a credit to the property and made every effort to assist me

Hope to stay with you soon

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mattizzard

Reviewed 9 April 2014

7 April 2014 - Stayed 1 night on their spring deal of £109 for 2. Bed, breakfast and a £23.90 allowance for dinner in the Bar and Grill. The room allocated was classed as comfortable and it certainly was. The Hotel used to be a warehouse which has been converted, it is very spacious. Our room had wooden floors and was very quirky. The customer service was excellent both in the Hotel and in the Bar and Grill. We ate in the Bar and Grill and the food was delicious. I will certainly stay at the Hotel on my next visit to Manchester. Convenient for Piccadilly Train station, the trams and a taxi to the Phones for U Arena is only £4.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed for one night to meet up with friends for a hen night. Chose this hotel due to location as it's near to the northern quarter. Heather on reception could not do enough to help me check in. Room 414 was spacious and comfortable with all the mod cons. If you arrive late back in the wee hours you have to ring the bell to get in but this made me feel safe. Beds were very comfortable and ordering room service breakfast (continental or choice of breakfast rolls) for £13 was a treat, 12 check out is an added bonus and they kept hold of my luggage for me until I was ready to leave
manchester. Very stylish yet attentive hotel would stay again if the need arises.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We booked this hotel as it was within walking distance of the train station and close to the shops. On arrival we were offered an upgrade at the cost of £15 per night. Although the room was classed as a suite to be honest it was not that much bigger than a premier in room and although the soft drinks, nibbles and toiletries were complimentary it was not worth the increased room fee. Nice comfortable bed, nice TV, damp patch on ceiling and blinds that do not shut the light out or close properly, very dirty windows but very quiet and peaceful on the fourth floor. Annoyingly the in room safe which was not used was situated at shin height and the door would not stay shut which made it a potential hazard resulting in my husband walking into it and taking a chuck out of his shin! An annoyance for any man using the room was the toilet seat not staying up. Our second night of 2 we were on a special deal which included a two course meal for two. On arrival at the bar grill we were informed that equated to £11.25 per diner! Given a menu for the deal and told we could choose off the al la carte menu and top it up. This was annoying as fish and chips were more than £11.25 and had we eaten 30 minutes earlier there was another deal for a welcome cocktail, 2 course meal and 1/2 bottle of wine for £21 per person! Breakfast was average, hard poached egg, cheap white and brown bread, expected proper bread at a hotel charging these prices. Overall an average hotel, serving average food and charging above average prices.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sean M, General Manager at ABode Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode. Your feedback is appreciated and my apologies we failed to live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed here 2 nights and it was really good in all areas. The staff were nice, the room spotless and the bed and pillows very comfortable. Good shower and nice tea tray in room. Close to the train station and I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed for just the one night with my mother, as part of a birthday treat, the hotel is ideally located for Piccadilly Train Station, being about 200 yards away (turn right out of the train station and you can’t miss it).

We had a twin room, the bed was one of the comfiest hotel beds I have ever slept in and the room was lovely, there are complementary toiletries which were very nice, especially the soap, gorgeous! The room was spotlessly clean with a lovely bath and plenty of space, adequate clothes hanging area and the usual kettle etc. plenty of coffee and tea and some biscuits which were nice. The hotel is on a main road but I wasn’t disturbed by any traffic noise during the night.
We were staying on a DBB basis which wasn’t’ the best value for money really as the allowance in the restaurant was only about £12 I think, however, the cocktails were divine and the meal we had was lovely, the staff were very helpful and we were served promptly.

Breakfast was an entirely different experience (served in the same restaurant), the breakfast waiting staff could really do with a couple of lessons from the night waiting staff, the waitresses’ at breakfast didn’t seem to know how to wait tables, pretty much everything was too much trouble for them as all they were interested in was standing around talking to each other. I’m so glad this was not my only experience in the restaurant or the review would have been very different, which is a shame!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, albeit brief, the staff were, for the most part brilliant and the hotel feels quite luxurious, I would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Manchester.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Thank you for reviewing the ABode. Whilst delighted the majority of your time was one of such a positive nature, I am of course disappointed that the breakfast experience was less so. I will of course be discussing your review with all my senior team members and I am confident the issue raised will be addressed.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

A really nice hotel, with very friendly staff. Free WiFi was consistently good, nice toiletries, lovely tea tray and above all it was impeccably clean. I would definitely stay here again. I Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant - hopefully next time I will!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the ABode. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us.