“Trendy outside, tired inside...”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #23 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 February 2011

From the street this hotel seems quite appealing. I come to Manchester often for work and chose this one this time based on having passed it many times before and thinking it could make a good alternative to my usual spot.

The rooms look nice and generally clean, although i found bugs in the bathroom.

The restaurant seemed ok, but the service I received at lunch was pretty poor for the caliber of place it seemed to be.

Lastly, and almost more importantly, I had the worst night sleep. I turned on the air because the room had been a bit warm and the air con unit creaked and ticked all night. I had to pit my music on and burry my head in pillows in order to finally get 2 hours sleep.

Personally, I would not choose this particular hotel again. I wanted to like it...

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Candiedyams

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Stayed here for 1 night on the Sunday before the BH.Chose this hotel for location and excellent meal that we had in the restaurant on a previous trip.When booking asked for any complimentary upgrade given that it was a quiet part of the year.I was informed that this would be considered.We booked the DBB package as we wanted an early dinner as we were going to the Brigewater Hall in the evening and didnt want to search round looking for a nice restarant.
The hoel appeared to be pretty quiet,shown to a standard room at the back of the hotel so no traffic noise which was good.Complimentary upgrade had fallen on deaf ears which is a shame because had we had a better room we may have returned to this hotel.The decor is a mix of old and new, which as well as appearing different can also be like a prison cell
Severe lack of hanging space adequate for 1 night but would struggle if a longer stay.
Very clean and comfortable bed,nice refreshments with a good priced mini tuck shop but no mini bar.
Good meal in the bar but spoilt by poor sevice in the evening,staff more bothered checking their phone then dealing with customers.
Breakfast was lovely cppked to order whivh is a lot nicer then hot buffet.
Overall a pleasant stay but didnt have the edge that we were expecting.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We arrived at Piccadilly station and enjoyed a short walk to the hotel. We entered the lobby which was impressive enough. The attentive staff were friendly and efficient; it was immediately apparent that customer is king. The service was personal for a pleasant change. Within a short time without any request we were upgraded by the Manager.

The room was superb. Large with comfortable bed, clean, large bathroom. Flat screen tv and music system.

We went to the bar for drinks and again were impressed with the service. There were a few other guests in the bar. Previously, we had decided not to dine in the restaurant as we have so many favourite restaurants in Manchester and we were unsure as to whether it was for us. After our fantastic stay including a wonderful breakfast we are going to come back for dinner.

Perfect for a city stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was a surprise anniversary present for my other half, but the anticipated excitement when we arrived was quickly ended after being shown to our room. On the plus side, the staff were pleasant, and the location was great, but I was so disappointed with the room we were shown to.

The initial room we were shown to was definitely not of a 4 star standard. The bathroom was dirty, the bathmat (rolled up and hidden in the corner) had black mould on it, the tiles were not cleaned properly, there were no cupboards to put anything away which meant a dirty ironing board was propped against the wall in full view, and any clothes needed to be hung on a rail against the wall. These were not the major issue however, the room was suffering very badly with damp, which was plainly obvious on the walls. I phoned down to reception, who sent somebody straight up to investigate. On seeing the state of the room, we were offered a different room, and as the situation was so bad, we did opt to move. We were moved to 'one of the hotel's top suites', which was very large, and very nice, but again, suffering badly with damp! As we only had one evening in Manchester, and had plans to go out for drinks anyway, we did not ask to change rooms again, but instead decided to go out and make the most of our night in Manchester.

The damp affecting both rooms was quite extensive, and I therefore feel certain that the hotel staff would have been aware of this, and yet still decided to book out those rooms?!! In summary, the staff made an effort, the location was good, but the rooms were very disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beckypreston
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed here one Friday night (seeing a concert at the MEN).
Location was great for our purposes (arrived at PIC Station), a 2 minute Walk.
Reception area was nice, efficiently served.
Room was very good, Spacious, old meets new (original wooden tiled floor + funky fittings and furnature).
Bed was super comfortable!
Went out for drinks after the concert and got back to the Hotel at 2ish - was locked, but the night porter/manager is at reception to let you in.
The bar was closed but he was more than happy to open it up and get us a couple of rounds of Bailey's (That you had to drink in the reception, which was fine), so great service there.
The only slight disappointment came with the breakfast.
Coffee/tea and toast orders were taken upon seating, which came fairly promptly, but the food was rather slow in coming out. Also the waiter who took the food order was slightly curt (seemed a bit aggitated when my companion was ordering cooked breakfast items - I had ordered an english breakfast, and she was ordering similar minus a few items, so when she got as far as bacon, sausage, eggs he said 'another english breakfast', so she had to correct this and say no beans, no tomato etc - just seemed a little off)
Also I requested some brown sauce when the food came, but none materialised!
The other problem was they kept running out of Orange Juice - twice we had to ask for the jug as the juice table to be replenished.
Just a couple of small niggles really.
The breakfast itself was very nice!
So fab hotel experience, not so great breakfast experience.
Wouldn't put me off staying again (B+B rate I got was £69 on Travel Republic I think)

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My partner and I stayed here on the 'Happy People' dinner and room deal which was good value for money as the food was excellent. Although they lacked any character the rooms were very clean with everything you need. The Hotel itself was in a great location to train station as well as all the bars and restaurants.

The negative points I have to make are that the room we stayed in was unbearably hot - there was air conditioning within the room but when we switched it on it was so noisy that it would have been impossible to have kept on throughout the night and have not been woken up by it. Also, it wasn't until we got in bed quite late that we realised there was a dip in one side of the bed where it must have been broken - we should have complained to reception and given them chance to rectify this but I felt, as it was early hours of the morning, it was too late to ring downstairs and request a new bed or to move rooms. Another negative point is the fact the rooms must have very thin walls - we kept being woken up by a loud bang every now and again like a door slamming . Unfortunately therefore, it was impossible to get a good nights sleep.

I highlighted these issues on the 'comments' sheet left in the room and was going to tell the staff at reception but the receptionist didn't even ask us how our stay was and by that point I was so tired and wanted to get home to bed that I just couldnt be bothered!

Due to how good the food was I would probably take a chance and stay again but next time I would make sure I complained on the day if things weren't up to scratch to give them the chance of rectifying any issues. Overall I would recommend this hotel to a friend but make them aware to look out for the problems we had

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Close to Piccadilly Station and with friendly service, the Abode simply made me happy with a perfect room. The hallways and stairs gave a glimpse of what was to come, I have to say i rarely have been happier with a room. Amazing furniture, design classics giving off a warm and cosy atmosphere, extremely comfortable bed, beautiful wooden floors. Was not to crazy about the food from the room service but for the rest fully recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business