“Excellence in customer service delivered by professional and friendly staff!”
Review of ABode Manchester

ABode Manchester
Ranked #21 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Oslo
“Excellence in customer service delivered by professional and friendly staff!”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The best thing about this place was the staff. Everyone from the doorman (who even knew my name, since I arrived late and had given notice) to the receptionists were friendly, efficient, and helpful. Many front desk staff seem East-European, but speak English like the Prince of Wales, and are fantastically accommodating and service oriented. And everybody smiled! How often do you see that?

My bags were swiftly taken to my room, which was nice, in a cool industrial sort of style. Bathroom was freshly painted, probably needed a touch up, and I missed nothing. WIFI was free, which is very important to me. Enough towels and a good bed.
Excellent bed, even overslept a little...

Had the guest special brunch at the "famous"? restaurant, for a very good price. I thought. Though the food was something you would expect in an awful cafeteria presented on fancy plates. Stale danish and a disgusting old, brown sluggish fruit salad.Not impressed at all, but that is another story.

When I checked out, the smiling staff gave me all the assistance I needed for my onward journey, and were absolutely magnificent. This is the main reason why I will gladly return to this hotel! Location is fantastic, but many other alternatives exist in the same area. So management should hug their staff, count their blessings, and never let them go!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed there as visited Lancashire cricket ground for Muse concert. Hotel lovely, ate in the restaurant for lunch. Good location with lots of people sat outside in the sunshine. Whilst it was easy to get to the concert venue, it took hours to get home with thousands of people leaving the concert and not many trams - my advice - get a taxi back into the city centre.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, England
Reviewed 12 February 2011

Booked £99 package to include evening meal. V helpful reservation - booked a table for me and my guests and they explained I could use some money from my package towards any menu in either of their 2 restaurants. Generally excellent professional service including food, service and good ambience in Cafe Bar. Room big with a good size en-suite, though the "designer" open clothes hanger rack was a bit annoying - who wants room service or cleaners to see their clothes? However I was there 1 night and did not need this. Better value than some nearby competitors in my opinion as I've also enjoyed the excellent City Inn (now called Mint, and prices seem to have gone up considerably - stayed last year B&B for £69, now £120 odd) and The Midland (pitched probably at a more expensive level). My first choice for a short return to Manchester city centre if prices remain similar. Good for a longer stay if they had wardrobes!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2011

From the street this hotel seems quite appealing. I come to Manchester often for work and chose this one this time based on having passed it many times before and thinking it could make a good alternative to my usual spot.

The rooms look nice and generally clean, although i found bugs in the bathroom.

The restaurant seemed ok, but the service I received at lunch was pretty poor for the caliber of place it seemed to be.

Lastly, and almost more importantly, I had the worst night sleep. I turned on the air because the room had been a bit warm and the air con unit creaked and ticked all night. I had to pit my music on and burry my head in pillows in order to finally get 2 hours sleep.

Personally, I would not choose this particular hotel again. I wanted to like it...

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Candiedyams
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Stayed here for 1 night on the Sunday before the BH.Chose this hotel for location and excellent meal that we had in the restaurant on a previous trip.When booking asked for any complimentary upgrade given that it was a quiet part of the year.I was informed that this would be considered.We booked the DBB package as we wanted an early dinner as we were going to the Brigewater Hall in the evening and didnt want to search round looking for a nice restarant.
The hoel appeared to be pretty quiet,shown to a standard room at the back of the hotel so no traffic noise which was good.Complimentary upgrade had fallen on deaf ears which is a shame because had we had a better room we may have returned to this hotel.The decor is a mix of old and new, which as well as appearing different can also be like a prison cell
Severe lack of hanging space adequate for 1 night but would struggle if a longer stay.
Very clean and comfortable bed,nice refreshments with a good priced mini tuck shop but no mini bar.
Good meal in the bar but spoilt by poor sevice in the evening,staff more bothered checking their phone then dealing with customers.
Breakfast was lovely cppked to order whivh is a lot nicer then hot buffet.
Overall a pleasant stay but didnt have the edge that we were expecting.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We arrived at Piccadilly station and enjoyed a short walk to the hotel. We entered the lobby which was impressive enough. The attentive staff were friendly and efficient; it was immediately apparent that customer is king. The service was personal for a pleasant change. Within a short time without any request we were upgraded by the Manager.

The room was superb. Large with comfortable bed, clean, large bathroom. Flat screen tv and music system.

We went to the bar for drinks and again were impressed with the service. There were a few other guests in the bar. Previously, we had decided not to dine in the restaurant as we have so many favourite restaurants in Manchester and we were unsure as to whether it was for us. After our fantastic stay including a wonderful breakfast we are going to come back for dinner.

Perfect for a city stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was a surprise anniversary present for my other half, but the anticipated excitement when we arrived was quickly ended after being shown to our room. On the plus side, the staff were pleasant, and the location was great, but I was so disappointed with the room we were shown to.

The initial room we were shown to was definitely not of a 4 star standard. The bathroom was dirty, the bathmat (rolled up and hidden in the corner) had black mould on it, the tiles were not cleaned properly, there were no cupboards to put anything away which meant a dirty ironing board was propped against the wall in full view, and any clothes needed to be hung on a rail against the wall. These were not the major issue however, the room was suffering very badly with damp, which was plainly obvious on the walls. I phoned down to reception, who sent somebody straight up to investigate. On seeing the state of the room, we were offered a different room, and as the situation was so bad, we did opt to move. We were moved to 'one of the hotel's top suites', which was very large, and very nice, but again, suffering badly with damp! As we only had one evening in Manchester, and had plans to go out for drinks anyway, we did not ask to change rooms again, but instead decided to go out and make the most of our night in Manchester.

The damp affecting both rooms was quite extensive, and I therefore feel certain that the hotel staff would have been aware of this, and yet still decided to book out those rooms?!! In summary, the staff made an effort, the location was good, but the rooms were very disappointing.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple