“Callous Management”

and 1 more site!
Luther King House
Ranked #2 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I would like to begin this review by saying I have no beef about the hotel itself - after all, I haven't actually stayed there; I only wish I could have. My review relates more to the management of the hotel, particularly Mr Paul Winstanley, although I do accept he may be nothing more than someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

To explain:

Quite recently, my daughter was admitted to Manchester Royal Infirmary, suddenly, for proposed heart surgery. We were advised that it would be wise to come to Manchester (we live in Nottingham), and booked a room at this hotel as it was within easy striking distance of MRI. Later the same day, as a consequence of a deterioration in the situation, the procedure was brought forward, and we were summoned to the hospital. I rang the hotel immediately, and advised the position, and that we would no longer require the room. I offered to pay any out of pocket expenses, or an administration fee. I was advised by a very helpful lady that that would not be necessary, and that due to the extreme circumstances giving rise to the cancellation it would not be necessary to pay for the room. Great service - or so I thought!!

Several days later, when checking my bank statement, I was amazed, and shocked to discover that the hotel had taken the full room cost, without any further reference to myself from the hotel. Having emailed the hotel, thinking this was an oversight on their part, I was advised by Mr Winstanley, that regardless of circumstances, this was their company policy, and that the advice given to us by the receptionist was incorrect as she was "quite new and not familiar with company policy". Mr Winstanley suggested we take the matter further, if required with Bookings.com, despite the fact that the full cost was taken directly by the hotel.

When I suggested that the receptionists shortcomings were the hotels problem, not mine, and further suggesting that the company might, on purely compassionate grounds, exercise a little flexibility to company policy in such extreme circumstances, Mr Winstanley chose to ignore me, and, to date, no further reply has been forthcoming.

Moral of the story: if you have to visit Manchester, unexpectedly, for example on a matter of life or death, and you need somewhere to stay, that has an understanding approach to your situation, and goes out of it's way to help in an emergency, then, in my experience, Luther king House should not be your ideal choice. If, however, you want to stay somewhere that has demonstrated a cynical approach to charging, regardless of circumstance, and management who aren't interested in helping people at times of great personal turmoil, then this is probably perfect.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Jimizzy

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Clean and very basic, but nice breakfast and friendly staff. Only 15 minutes to central Manchester on the many buses that come by. Good value for money if you just need a basic place to lay your head at night and solid breakfast to get to you going in the morning. My bed was only a twin so a bit tough to get a great night's rest, but I'm sure they have doubles as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cyd C
Reviewed 9 March 2013

we stayed there for 2 nights the worst place i ever stayed
it was filty. no water pressure for the shower it was either boiling hot
or freezing cold thats because it dosent have a thermost fitted. rooms were filty
how anyone could stay here is beyond me.yes its cheap thats it.

Room Tip: close to manchester city centre
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stay in Manchester every week and have tried a lot of the budget accommodation and this is always my first choice. No, this is not a luxury hotel but for what is usually about £30 a night you get:

A comfortable room/Ensuite
A desk
Breakfast(effectively all you can eat)
Wi-Fi

I just stopped short of giving the hotel 5 stars because I get the impression the plumbing could do with some work. Some of the showers take a bit of time to warm up and in some rooms you can hear the pipes rattle. In sum though, if you want somewhere cheap to stay in Manchester you are not going to find anywhere better than this.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wpalmer81
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I stayed there for one night. The place is quiet, yet very close to the curry mile (loads of shops and restaurants). Clean room, big and well organised. The toiled and the shower are situated in samll bathroom but functional.
The bed could be better. I slept well though. Breakfast is OK, continental buffet with various jams and juices.
The Hotel has free WiFi and free parking and for the price you pay, it is more than a bargain for Manchester.
Not to forget, the staff are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay in the worst accommodations I've ever stayed in. Four of us stayed in a cramped room and we could not shower at all as water was either piping hot or freezing cold. Rooms were dirty, beds uncomfortable and linen outdated. In all I would say its a notch higher than being homeless.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Odd and quirky, my sleep was disturbed by an owl at one point and voices another but comfortable bed, reasonable breakfast etc...

For the price I haven't found much better, freeview flat screen tv - coffee etc.. makes it a comfortable place, there isn't wifi in the room but for one or two nights who needs it!

Breakfast was simple - but like everything quirky - cupcakes? porridge but an unconventional feeling about it ... It isn't a holiday Inn, it is something else. It was clean and simple.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business