“Wonderful for the price - very happy” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Luther King House
Ranked #2 of 27 Manchester B&B and Inns
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful for the price - very happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

After reading some mixed reviews I deliberated whether to book this hotel or not. Glad I did. I could not have been happier.
I used the hotel as a base for visiting my father at MRI (about a 20 min walk). The hotel is super easy to find and on one of the busiest bus routes in Manchester! From Piccadilly Gardens you can take most of the buses from J stand (about a 15 min ride) and they will drop you off at the top of the road (a 2 min walk).
I booked a single room and got a double, excellent. If you are expecting a 5* hotel then you will be disappointed, it's not immaculate or 'swish' and some parts are quite dated however if you need everything you require from a hotel room and a decent bed in a ideal location then this hotel is perfect.
Quite unconventional in that it has a laid back 'studenty' vibe but I was more than happy with that.
The dining room serves fantastic food both at breakfast and dinner, both the waiting staff and the reception staff were wonderful.
In a safe area, not far from town and right next to Curry Mile for £35 a night (cheaper than most private rooms in a hostel) - perfect!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jacqui C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

This accommodation is a student block complete with library. If you're used to student accommodation it's fine. If you're looking for something more than basic then this place isn't for you. I was a solo traveller just requiring a bed for the night after attending a gig just down the road at the Academy. It was easy to access and as already stressed very basic accommodation. It wasn't the cleanest but it was cheap and fine for what I needed. I wouldn't choose to stay here if I was on a business trip or travelling with someone else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The say you get what you pay for!!! Very basic room was not clean at all. We only stayed for 2 nights but they were far from enjoyable. Did not look forward to going back to the hotel on a night time. The double bed was against the wall so could only be accessed from one side. The bedding was dirty the towels were falling apart, the chair in the room was falling apart. We were not told that you had to turn the pump on which is under the sink in the bedroom, (Yes the sink is in the bedroom not the bathroom) to get any pressure in the shower.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steven J

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Willenhall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel yesterday and stayed last night. Not as we expected. This is more like a college. I felt as though I was at St Trinians but in a nice way. The room was extremely basic but very clean. The accommodation in General was set around a landscaped quad with benches and fountain. There was a well stocked library in the quad area. Breakfast was lovely, choice of cereals, porridge yoghurt, toast, cheeses etc warm muffins-gorgeous!
The staff were very friendly and I was happy to discuss the merits of chocolate with the man behind the counter this morning at breakfast!
We were able to relax in the very large lounge while we waited for the car breakdown service. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank qtiepie2
Leigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival I was told to sit down for 5 mins as the receptionist seemed to be alone and managing the hotel. Understandably he couldn't check me in at the same time but at least a greeting would have been nice.
The room was basic, which I expected. But the bathroom smelled of stale urine and there was mold all over the the walls. It was in need of much repair.
The beds twin. One of them (mine for the evening) seemed to be in a tilt, therefore I was sleeping on an angle. Leaving me with a sore back in the morning.
I went to the bar before bed and it was the same receptionist. I was barked at to be quick in making my order as the bar is closing. (This was 10pm) the bar license on the wall next to the bar says midnight.
There was a communal room which had around 5 people in and no noise. So I tip toed in for 10 mins and decided it was too uncomfortable to relax so retreated to my grim room.
The continental breakfast was a pleasant meal after the awful night and the staff were friendly and helpful in the morning. Which cheated me up prior to leaving the hotel.
For £45 a night I was extremely disappointed. I booked here as I didn't want the basic travel lodge layout. However that's basically what I got. Only with less cleanliness and welcome.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed here three times now, and am going back with a friend in May.
I was a student in Manchester so knew roughly where I wanted to stay and what I was looking for the first time I booked in here:
free onsite parking
EXCELLENT value for money
helpful people on reception
clean, comfortable rooms every time
10 minute bus ride into the centre of town on the busiest bus route you will ever find
It's NOT for you if you are looking for somewhere plush. If however, you want somewhere clean, comfortable and quiet with easy access to town and a decent breakfast and are more concerned with the time you spend in the city than the time you spend in your hotel, then this is DEFINITELY somewhere I would recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
chester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

price we paid £38 for 1 night double room, good location near curry mile. the room was basic bed linen tired and old, wallpaper by sink has got splash stains on it, the shower base tray needs repairing tv controls did not work it was held together with sticky tape. the windows were filthy and look as if they have not been cleaned for a long time. continental breakfast was ok.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple