Luther King House
US$161
Hilton
US$66
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$100
The Midland(Manchester)
US$176
US$127
  • Pool
All reviewscurry ricecontinental breakfastcity centrewilmslow roadhard boiled eggsbus stopguest housequiet arearooms are basicsingle roomtoilet and showertea and coffeeminutes walk awayfull englishstayed here for one nightsaturday nightcentral manchester
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have stayed in the Luther King House multiple times now, when visiting Manchester for either business or pleasure. The hotel is basically a combination of a training center (theological education), library and rooms. The rooms are spread over two buildings: the main building and a small house right next to it: Baptist House. The ones (I believe only 5 or 6) in Baptist House are share the bathroom and toilet; the ones in the main building are all ensuite. Unless you are on a very tight budget, I would mainly recommend the rooms in the main building, as you have a main advantage of the garden! It is very nice and peaceful, with enough seating to relax in. I would almost call it an interior courtyard! All rooms are clean, not spotless, and in every room I stayed are signs of the ageing of the hotel... but nothing too major. A facelift at some point would be good, however, it would also increase the rates... At the moment, the price/quality proportion is great. Reception staff is pleasant enough, especially the blonde English lady and the (Italian?) lady with dark hair and glasses. Breakfast is great and a good start of the day. Location is just after ''Curry Mile'' off Wilmslow Rd. There are parking spaces outside the hotel or if you come by bus there are plenty (and running 24 hours/day) that stop on the main road, about 5 mins. walk away. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: the ones in the main building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Where to start?

Beyond the charming, aesthetic appeal of the hotel's exterior, I was greeted by an efficient, yet stone-faced receptionist that wouldn't look out of line in the Soviet Union's Ministry of Stone-facedness. While very helpful, I wasn't sure if she wanted to do me unearthly levels of human harm or not. With each inquiry I made, I felt as though I may been one step closer to risking a pile-driver to my skull.

The room was simple, as you might expect with a budget hotel; it did not, however, feel spotlessly clean. The room was akin to a forgettable spare bedroom that one might let an equally forgetful, smelly aunt sleep in during the Christmas season. Perhaps I'm picky, but it would have been nice if the cold tap dispensed anything but hot water, and I'd have appreciated it even more if the hot tap didn't produce molten fire.

I met the shower. I say 'met', because when I turned it on, the first name that came to my lips as I screamed in exasperated horror was "JESUS F****** CHRIST". It was an introduction to the purest of pains. It sped from hot to cold with such frequency that I wasn't sure if I had entered a basic hotel, or the washing facility of an eastern-European interment camp. The noise it made was also pretty deafening. Imagine a Henry hoover the size of an elephant giving itself oral pleasure.

However the complimentary tea-bags were fair trade, and instead of a small chocolate, a fruit biscuit was provided. Its overall cheapness means that you can afford the anti-biotics you may need after contracting a bacterial infection during your stay. I'm therefore obliged to rate Luther King House with the best of possible scores, and I'll definitely visit again; although, I don't think I'll be making eye-contact with any staff after having written this.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Gottalovemanchester
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This budget accommodation place is exceptional. The management and front desk staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble every question was answered with a smile. The kitchen staff were so friendly. The morning staff double as tourist guide helping us to find our day trip destinations as well as serving a sumptuous feast. Gluten free options were in abundance.o our daughter also had her wedding reception there and LKH certainly made it a day that she and her husband and the whole family will never forget.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynette H
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

After reading some mixed reviews I deliberated whether to book this hotel or not. Glad I did. I could not have been happier.
I used the hotel as a base for visiting my father at MRI (about a 20 min walk). The hotel is super easy to find and on one of the busiest bus routes in Manchester! From Piccadilly Gardens you can take most of the buses from J stand (about a 15 min ride) and they will drop you off at the top of the road (a 2 min walk).
I booked a single room and got a double, excellent. If you are expecting a 5* hotel then you will be disappointed, it's not immaculate or 'swish' and some parts are quite dated however if you need everything you require from a hotel room and a decent bed in a ideal location then this hotel is perfect.
Quite unconventional in that it has a laid back 'studenty' vibe but I was more than happy with that.
The dining room serves fantastic food both at breakfast and dinner, both the waiting staff and the reception staff were wonderful.
In a safe area, not far from town and right next to Curry Mile for £35 a night (cheaper than most private rooms in a hostel) - perfect!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jacqui C
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This accommodation is a student block complete with library. If you're used to student accommodation it's fine. If you're looking for something more than basic then this place isn't for you. I was a solo traveller just requiring a bed for the night after attending a gig just down the road at the Academy. It was easy to access and as already stressed very basic accommodation. It wasn't the cleanest but it was cheap and fine for what I needed. I wouldn't choose to stay here if I was on a business trip or travelling with someone else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo