“Poor quality luxury”

City Stop Manchester
Airdrie, United Kingdom
“Poor quality luxury”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked these apartments to take my daughters to one direction concert. Location is good really central and big apartment number 29. However the apartment was not clean and there were cracks on the floor tiles and cracks in the wall in the bedroom. Each wardrobe was broken at the back and the fridge door was hanging off. The toilets were not clean under the rim and the water in the sinks and shower would not run away properly. It was also really noisy being wakened at 5.30am by people in the car park below playing loud music. The beds are really uncomfortable and didn't get a sleep. Would never go back. Pity as they are in a great location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ricky M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

If your looking for a luxury apartment this isn't the place for you. Don't get me wrong the apartments are a great size and the location is brilliant for the nightlife around the Printworks (shopping etc easily within walking distance) but we found the apartment to be pretty basic and a little tired and worn.

The wardrobe in the bedroom and the set of drawers would stay shut. The bed was extremely creeky and the mattress quite uncomfortable. The kitchenette area was worn and the oven dirty along with a few 'splash' marks around the hob.

All that said, for the price we paid, the apartment met our needs and it was good to quite literally walk across the road from the Printworks to our apartment and the end of the night.

Our apartment was on the 3rd floor overlooking the Print works / lloyds bar. It was quite nosey until the early hours of the morn and quite a lot of door banging from people coming and going but despite the uncomfortable mattress we did sleep.

I would book an apartment here again, good price and great location.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mossy07
Frodsham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked City Stop for my hen party. There were 11 of us staying in two 6 person apartments on a Friday and Saturday night in May 2014.
If you are travelling to City Stop, I would highly advise NOT using a car. The location is hindered by the one way system which is complicated to navigate if you are not familiar and even worse when roadworks ensure all traffic is diverted. Also, on the Saturday night it took me over an hour to get through to the front door of the apartment from Rusholme. This may well have been contributed to by an event at the MEN (I am not sure if there was something on or not) but the journey should have taken less than half that time. Parking is expensive. While the £15 for 24 hour rate in the nearby Arndale and Printworks carparks is good, if you move your car during the day, you will end up paying for a lot more than that. I spent £60 on parking for the weekend, moving my car once twice during the Saturday to leave the apartment for other elements of the hen do.
While the apartments initially appear extremely nice, it is only when you are in them for a period of time that you realise they do not compare to similar apartments you may have hired elsewhere. It is a shame that the décor is done to a good standard but that certain bits just need a very good clean. Also a shame is the quality of the mattresses and beds in general. While reception may advise you that they have no single beds available, this is not true. Our apartments were meant to be two double bedrooms each plus a double sofa bed in each lounge. One double sofa bed was completely un-usable and collapsed under any weight, meaning a friend had to spend the night on the sofa. (My friends are slightly built women, so this wasn't anything to do with us!) The other double sofa bed suffered from having the end of a spring stuck through the mattress cover. I was so frightened of moving in the night and slicing my leg open on it (it was extremely sharp) that I spent the night with a pillow over it meaning I got continual leg cramps. Add all this to the noise of being right next to the Printworks and the heat of the apartments and you do not have a recipe for much sleep, if any.
We roadtested the kitchens of the apartments to the max, cooking large vats of chillie. When an apartment is billed as for 6 people, you rather expect there will be six full sets of crockery and cutlery. There weren't. Fortunately I had anticipated and brought plastic sets with me from home.
That said, the night-watchman for the building was amazing, talking my friends through how to find the apartment and getting other inhabitants of the building to turn down their music at crazy o'clock in the morning.
I'm sure the apartments are fine for those that wish to use them to sleep for a small number of hours following a good night out in the Printworks or clubs and bars of Manchester. I would not advise their use for anything else and would certainly not recommend them to any friends of mine for future use.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side over the bus station- it might be quieter!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Lovely apartment and staff helpfuland good location. Main issue is night time. Very noisy people shouting and bawling returning from clubs. One bedroom overlooked stairwell which was brightly lit so shone into room. Other room one blind didn't keep out any light and was opposite a burger sign. Could easily be improved with better curtains / blinds. Apartments are nice with some minor cosmetic wear and tear. Hard for management to control iinconsiderate guests but I is potentially quite scary for younger guests.

• Stayed April 2014
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife and I arrived before the standard check-in time but were still allowed the room early.
The receptionist was pleasant and helpful. Our room was large and bright. At first glance I noted a few snags but nothing major ( cracked floor tiles in the bathroom - cracked bathroom sink - tiolet roll holder hanging off the wall - knobs missing off the oven and dishwasher )
The location was great for the MEN, restaurants, shops etc.
However, we did notice an unusual amount of air fresheners in room (5). Non of them were working. Why were they there? This soon became obvious when we returned to the room at about midnight. The smell of sewage was overpowering. The smell did not come from the bathroom as you might expect but in the main living/bedroom area. We opened the windows but this didn't help much. As Reception is not manned at that time of night, there was no one to complain to . I was all for packing up and driving home - but I'd had a drink - so we had to try to put up with it. The smell was there all night and clung to our clothes. The only respite was to sit in the bathroom - irony? We left in the morning and reception was again closed.
The reason I was most annoyed, was that it was obvious the management were well aware of the problem, but stiil let the room out. There is a SERIOUS, long standing problem with this room that requires immediate attention. I e-mailed them the next day, but guess what? NO REPLY.

Room Tip: DO NOT accept Room 37
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Biggins330
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is a belated review for the City Stop in Manchester who looked after me over the course of nearly 2 years. Based away from home, during the week, for protracted periods of time is never great. Whilst the rest of my team checked into local hotels I chose to base myself at the City Stop and enjoyed a home from home experience. Being able to prepare my own food and chill out in front of the TV after a long day in the office was great.

The location may not be to everyone's taste, it looks out onto the Printworks, but it is very central and many food options are only minutes away. Lee, and his team, were always very helpful and being able to leave a large case there over the weekend reduced the amount of stuff I had to lug back and forth from London. Despite the Printworks being a major destination for many young, free and singles, I never experienced any major issues.

If you plan to be based in Manchester for long periods of time The Virgin Active club, in the Printworks, offer short term memberships.

Room Tip: Apartments at the front can be a bit noisy during chucking out times at the Printworks. Having said...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Burton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

2 bedroom apartment for the 4 of us visiting the phones 4 U/MEN Arena, very short distance to walk to the arena, and literally a hop across the road to the Printworks where there is a very busy complex of restaurants and bars, NCP parking very nearby at £15 for 24 hours . Everything you could need in the comfy apartment, even a dishwasher and washing machine if your planning to stay longer, but take some tablets. Tea, coffee, milk pots and sugar was in the kitchen. There is no wifi as advertised but not a problem for us as we only stayed a night, the two bedrooms had double beds and I slept very comfortably with my husband in ours, my daughters shared and thought there bed was a bit too firm but it was only for one night, back in there own beds to sleep more comfortably. Two shower rooms with towels soap and shower/shampoo if your just staying a night. Would recommend and when we go to Manchester again will be checking in here, it was great to relax in our pyjamas next morning, took some breakfast goods with me, before checking out at 12, check out is 11am but it can be extended for £10 extra an hour.

Room Tip: We were in apartment 30, we slept well but stayed on a Wednesday night, suspect it could be noisy th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family