“Striking and stylish”

Ranked #16 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Striking and stylish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a show at the MEN Arena, the locations perfect as it's only a ten minute walk away from the arena and there's loads of great bars just around the corner if you fancy something to eat and drink outside of the hotel. The hotels central location means it's only a 15 minute walk from the train station and its's just up the road from the Arndale centre if you want to do a bit of shopping.
First impressions of the hotel were excellent, check in was quick and the staff behind reception very friendly, the rooms were just as good, clean and very modern with excellent attention to detail. I especially liked the addition of the aromatherapy pillow spray to help you relax and sleep in bed, definitely a nice touch and as the beds are the comfiest I've been in yet you're gauranteed to enjoy your nights sleep.
The hotel bar was a bit of a let down however, although clean and well presented the staff need to know how to make cocktails properly, especially since they're offered on the menu and at £8 a drink I'd expect it to be spot on. Daiquiris are definitely not meant to be topped up with lemonade. If you fancy a drink in the evening, I'd probably avoid the hotel bar and instead check the local bars in the northern quarter, Bluu, Keko Moku and Walrus were the ones we went too, all of which were good and served excellent drinks at a very reasonable price.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent the staff were quick to seat my partner and I down and explain the layout of the buffet to us. It pretty much had everything you could ask for at breakfast with hot and cold food options available you're pretty spoilt for choice, staff were also very attentive to guests needs, ensuring that missing items were quickly refilled and dirty plates were not left on the tables.
Overall our impression of the hotel was a positive one, friendly staff, comfy beds and a great location, we'll probably choose to stay again sometime but as I said before, if you like a drink in the evening I'd skip the hotel bar and explore the northern quarter for better value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManc, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 2 July 2011
We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com, It helps us enormously to maintain our high standards..I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre the next time your travel plans permit.

Bob Fairweather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Plus - Great location, pristine rooms, efficient and friendly staff, very good (but slightly overpriced) restaurant.

Minus - Nothing really. Its just a good 4* hotel, as it should be.

• Stayed June 2011
CrownePlazaManCity, Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel, we greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our standards. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre in the future.

Liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Stayed one night on 23rd June 2011 in a junior suite, room 401. We're a couple in our early 30s.

Check in: I cannot really comment as I waited in the car whilst my boyfriend went in to organise the valet parking (£24 overnight) and he also checked in at the same time. I will say that reception area is small, resembles a more upmarket youth hostel reception... all minimal, not much detail and clean lines.

Room: a junior suite. Like the reception this was also unfussy, minimal and 'cold' feeling but I'm sure that's down to personal preference. Walked in to a lounge area with the most uncomfortable two seated white sofa. Who sits in comfort on a severe hard couch? This was opposite a 28" flat screen television wall mounted. TV stations were freeview. Given that the room was £243 Sky would have been appreciated. There was also a glass table with two white leather chairs. The bedroom had a super kingsize bed which was awkwardly placed in the irregular shaped room. So much so that if you slept on the window side then you had to squeeze between the bed and the floor to ceiling window to get in and out. Heaven help you if you were of more generous proportions.
There was also another wall mounted television opposite the bed, same freeview and dame size. To note there is one remote control between the two TVs.
The bed was comfortable if a little soft for my preference. Wevsat on the bed to watch television as that sofa was awful. The pillows were another matter altogether... lumpy sandbags sum them up.
The most annoying thing was that we could hear next door's water works of their bathroom. Could hear their shower, their loo and their sink. On the noise point, we could also hear the out side traffic noise and the building works from the building site right outside. The building works started at 7am - so much for the sleep in. Once again for the room rate I would gave thought there would be sound proofed windows.

Bathroom: lovely. Separate bath tub to the shower enclosure (this however was tiny). Usual sort of bathroom stuff. Unfortunately there was a blood stain on the cord of the magnifying mirror.

Breakfast: 7am to 10am, greasy and basic. Got to the stand to give our room number in and she said we had already eaten... No we hadn't she was obviously mixed up. This was sorted out quickly. She showed us to our table but didn't explain the set up, was clear that it was a buffet however she didn't tell us we could have eggs cooked to order. The buffet fried eggs sat in half a centimetre of oil so I requested poached eggs. I had to hang around the back of the room waiting for someone to come over to ask me what I wanted, all the time my plated breakfast was going cold. Then the eggs turned up 15 minutes after I ordered them and I'd already finished my breakfast then. I think for the room rate you should also have a server bringing out fresh coffee and tea and not have to carry hot beverages without a tray from the back of the dining room to the seating area. Health and safety anyone?

Check out: quick. No-one asked us how our stat was so we were not able to highlight any issues.

For the room rate we would not return, it wasn't worth it. We paid the same for the Midland Hotel and that was worth it.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank nelly1880H
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com; it really helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we need to improve. I very much appreciate your candid feedback.

Nevertheless I was concerned to read your comments with regards a recent stay. Your comments do not indicate the style and high levels of service Crowne Plaza Manchester wishes to prevail. I am most keen to personally discuss your feedback in more detail and would be very grateful if you could contact the hotel directly at your own convenience. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again very soon.

guest.relations@cpmanchester.com
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

I mentioned to the hotel that it was my husbands 40th birthday and to our surprise when we arrived we had been upgraded to the Presidentail Suite from the Junior Suite I had originally booked. 'Wow' what an amazing room! The only complaint was the price of the Parking in the adjacent Printworks. It was £15.20 for an overnight stay! Not sure if there are any cheaper car parks near by but we will definalty be going back!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your very kind feedback and completing this review.

I am thrilled that you and your husband had a great stay with us and that you were able to appreciate the Presidential Suite.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Booked the Crown Plaza for myself and my boyfriend for 1 night stay on the 19th June when we went to watch The Kings of Leon in Manchester. Being a travel agent I am very picky and read lots of reviews before choosing a hotel and what an excellent choice I made for us. The hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Manchester within walking distance to the Printworks, Arndale and MEN arena. Although our concert was at the cricket ground the metro station is located 2 minutes walk from the hotel and after a 15minute journey we arrived at the ground so it was really handy.
We were very lucky to get upgraded to a club executive suite on the top floor with fab views of Manchester through large floor to ceiling windows.
The room was of a good size and absolutely spotless! So clean and smart with everything you need from flat screen TV, hairdryer, iron and board, bath, shower, robes and slippers. As for the bed, well, all I can say is that I did not want to get up the next day, so comfortable and snug, I had one of the best nights sleep I have ever had!
All in all, we were more than impressed with the Crown Plaza, the pleasant and welcoming staff and the cleanliness and comfort of our room and I wouldn't even think to choose any other hotel other than this next time we visit Manchester. Just wonderful :-) x

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

Rooms were spacious,nicely decorated, clean, lovely large bathroom. The hotel is walking distance from the station and walking distance to the centre and electric press, well placed, great location. Check in was excellent, friendly helpful staff, quick and efficient . Breakfast was good very busy on the morning due to a concert but the female staff member seating guests was apologetic continually smiling and put everyone at ease, check out also efficient. Staff went the extra mile with service. Our stay was faultless and would fully recommend it. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Spent a night there and really enjoyed the room. The beds are really comfortable, if not a little soft: but just right for me.
Love the decor' and it was really quiet.
the view from the room was of a building site, but never noticed this until i had a look out the window.
The staff were very good and thoughtful so i shall be visiting this hotel again.
Thanks to the staff for a really good experience that i intend to revisit.

Room Tip: No tips, i was in the back on the 6th floor thou