“comfortable and new”

Ranked #16 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“comfortable and new”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

A lovely room with windows across one whole wall. Comfortable bed and great bathroom. Quiet and peaceful all night.Robes and slippers provided but no aromatherapy set- I think you have to request this complimentary extra. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Position of hotel is in the Northern quarter near Victoria Station, Afflecks, Arndale, Cathedral, Printworks, Craft and Design Centre and Arena. Unfortunately not enough choice for vegetarians on the restaurant menu.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Bob Fairweather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at this new Manchester hotel on business for one night as the hotel I usually use was fully booked.

Location

The hotel is located on the North side of Manchester city centre. This is obviously an 'up an coming' area judging by the amount of glass and chrome new build offices going up nearby. It does however suffer from the usual Manchester problem in that it sits cheek-by-jowl with Victorian streets. Some of these have been recently renovated in to beautiful office/commercial spaces showing off the fantastic architecture to good effect, but far too many are decaying and rather seedy.

Not a problem for me, having spent five years in the city at a time when the whole place was a dump. It might prove a little worrying for business visitors or tourists unfamiliar with Manchester to turn a corner in to some of these streets. Most of the other central hotels suffer from the same issue, and the city centre is pretty safe so don't let that put you off.

The Crowne Plaza is convenient for Manchester Victoria railway station, the Arena, the Arndale shopping centre and most parts of the city centre. it is further away from Manchester Piccadilly station that other hotels, which is where visitors from the South would arrive. It would definitely be worth getting a taxi if you have luggage or if it is raining, which being Manchester it almost certainly will be!

First Impressions/Check-In

The hotel is not obvious from the street. It is a brand-new building but just looks like one of the many new offices going up in the surrounding the area until you are right outside the front door. Some more obvious signage would be useful for visitors arriving on foot.

The hotel lobby is nothing special; you could be in a Crowne Plaza or any other chain hotel in the world. There were a few people in the queue ahead of me, but check-in was extremely quick and efficient compared to most hotels.

The Room

I had a club room on the 8th floor; not by choice, it was all that was available when it was booked. The room itself was definitely not the anonymous cookie-cutter hotel room I was expecting. (You know the chain-hotel feeling; you wake up at 3:00am and wonder where in the world you are as the room gives you no clue.)

This place is trying hard to be different décor-wise. The room is dominated by a giant black-gloss construction which runs floor to ceiling along most of the wall behind the bed and leans outwards at a rakish angle. To call it a 'headboard' would be like calling a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier a 'boat'.

Coupled with zebra-print soft-furnishings and throws and the ultra-bright LED spotlights dotted around, the effect is overwhelming. If a red braces-wearing Gordon Gecko jumped in to his DeLorean and time-travelled forwards 30 years, a larger version of this place is exactly what he would want for his bachelor pad.

It is a look that would definitely work in a spacious Vegas penthouse suite, and was just about bearable when the curtains were pulled back on the floor-to ceiling windows. Once they are closed, it is all a bit too much for the senses.

In terms of practicalities, the oversized king bed was comfortable. The room had sufficient closet space, an armchair and a desk with plenty of accessible power sockets over the desk, so no crawling around for once. The room also has wired and wireless internet access, two phones and a large flat-screen TV. There is a small (locked) mini-bar, which I didn't need so did not bother calling reception to get it unlocked.

The bathroom has a bath and a separate shower cubicle, and I found it well lit and reasonably spacious. Lighting in the rest of the room suffered from the usual hotel problem in that it is all task and side-lighting. Even with everything available switched on, the room was dark; all the more so due to the 2001-style black monolith behind the bed that sucked in most of the available light.

The room was absolutely spotless, so no complaints there. I hope they pay the housekeeping staff overtime because it must be absolute hell keeping the acres of glossy surfaces looking immaculate, but somehow they managed it.

This was far from the best night's sleep I have had. The room was located on the top floor, just across from the lift lobby. I was anticipating a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing of other guests disturbing me, but didn't hear anything on that front. The lift machinery however was audible throughout the night; not particularly loud but the frequent whining and buzzing was noticeable. I'd imagine it would not be an issue on the lower floors

I switched the air-con unit off overnight, but could also hear a constant 'rushing' sound. I don't know what it was, perhaps air, water or machine noise. Maybe I was being over-sensitive, but combined with the lift machinery, this wasn't the most restful of environments. (I have had better sleep in a hotel directly opposite an international airport in case you think I'm going over the top here!)

Amenities

The TV had a reasonable selection of free TV channels as well as chargeable movies on demand.

Club-level rooms have access to a lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks, but it closes at 8:00pm and I had arrived too late to take advantage of it.

Restaurant

I had dinner in the Glasshouse Bar and Restaurant as it was getting late. The usual 'table for one routine'. The place large, anonymous and pretty empty. Three or four other guys with their tables for one and acres of empty seats.

As a vegetarian, I expect my choices in chain hotels to be pretty limited, and my expectations were met in spades.

I had to settle for a plate of bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This alone was five quid. Seriously, 99% of places would bring you something like that for free whilst you peruse the menu! The bread was nice and chunky, but the dip was served in a mini-trough rather than in a shallow bowl. This meant the bread ended up dripping in flavourless olive oil since you had to plunge it deep in to the trough to reach the balsamic.

This was followed by a mushroom risotto which didn't taste of mushrooms or much else for that matter, and it was pretty watery to boot. It was hot and served promptly, which is just about the praise I can muster for it. I had deja-vu moment, and realised that this mushroom risotto is what InterContinental Hotels foist on vegetarians at Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns across the UK (and probably the world).

Tip to management; buy the chefs a few recipe books or you're going to miss out on 7 to 10% of your potential bookings, since I don't think many of us veggies would want to experience that more than once every ten years or so.

Manchester city centre is packed with restaurants of all sorts and has a small-china town not too far away from the hotel. If you have time, you would have a better experience eating out.

Although breakfast was included in the price I paid, I didn't have time or the inclination to try it.

Check-out

The hotel doesn't appear to offer an express check-out service. I found this slightly bizarre as the TV is capable of displaying your bill on-screen at any time and a credit card is taken at check-in. There was a queue for check-out, but again it was much quicker than I have experienced at other hotels.

Conclusion

The hotel is on the pricey side, but it is brand-new and shiny so warrants the premium price. The hotel is entirely suited to business travellers and couples on a city-break as it is convenient for the central business area and shopping/restaurants. I don't think I'd choose to bring a family here though.

I'll probably end up staying here again as there are not many four-star or better hotels in Manchester, but would definitely eat out next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank amonynous
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Amonynous!

Thank you for taking the time to write your extensive review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre.

I am pleased to read that you have noticed the impressive regeneration that has taken place over recent years in Manchester making it one of the finest cities to visit in the UK. I believe the glass and chrome office builds you mention will include the stunning new Coop Headquarters just over the road from us which will be complete in a few months time and demonstrates business commitment to Manchester as a great place to work. As for the low level hotel signage I agree with you enitirely although it is a shame the local planners in an attempt to keep signage clutter to a minimum do not.

With regard to your room I will pass your comments on the architect and our housekeeping team who as you mention do an excellent job of keeping the hotel spotless. I am sorry that noise from the lift area disturbed your sleep however if you would like stay with us again please let me know and I will be ensure that you are allocated a room away from the lift area.
I have shared your comments regarding the vegetarian food with our chef and whilst it may surprise you we do not work from a “corporate” menu and therefore we can easily change this to ensure that we improve the vegetarian dishes.

The club lounge is open 24 hours and serves a continental style breakfast, tea, coffee and soft drinks all day with complimentary canapés and alcoholic beverages for two hours every evening. We do offer a express check out service and I have discussed your comments with our reception manager to ensure this is made clear at check in.

We believe we offer value for money and its always advisable to book in advance and book direct for the lowest rates – we guarantee you will get the best rate booking direct or we pay!
Finally I note you are from Colchester, famous for being, urm, Britains Oldest recorded market town which appears to have seen very little positive development since the Castle was built and the Romans left which is probably why a trip to the north is so exciting and yes the sun does shine here in Manchester, even when it`s raining!

Please do let us know when you would like to stay in Manchester again and we will be delighted to welcome you back to the future at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre.

Maidenhead, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My second stay - I chose the hotel because of the great comfort of the bed, and the fact that the rooms are nice and quiet.

Bathroom is excellent, decor all modern and up to date, everything is always clean.

Dinner - this was good value, well cooked. Only issue I had was with the cheese - a tasteless selection, from the fridge so cold. Is there anything worse than a piece of cold hard brie!!

Breakfast - my first breakfast at this hotel. Buffet looked a bit messy by late morning, but otherwise fine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Just stayed sat night in deluxe club room (149 ££)
Upgraded as i am ambassador member to junior suite.
These rooms are great but the bedroom space is compromised due the hotel design and to be honest the deluxe rooms on the 8 th floor are actuallly better
Club room is ok with great views
My only complaint was breakfast in the restaurant is terrible , whilst the hotel was fully booked the service and qlty is awful ( dont book breakfast and eat at chiccettis its the same price and best in manchester)

Overall i think in room terms its one of the best CP's in Europe and the reception and concierge are really helpful and cant do enough to help

Love the hotel but restaurant feels like an afterthought but in fairness they would be competing against some gems of restaurants within walking distance

Goid value hotel and always stay here for value .

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank andy r
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear proscreen,

Thank you for being an Ambassador Member and for leaving us feedback. I am pleased that you were upgraded to a junior suite. However, I would like to apologize that the food served during your stay did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again thank you for reviewing our hotel and I hope that if you return to Manchester in the future you will give us the opportunity to make amends for the disappointment you felt on this occasion.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHG Care
Dronfield England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night. Great location for access to the arena.
Rooms were excellent, staff and service all welcoming. Very comfortable bed and well equipped bathroom.
Good value.
Reasonable prices at the bar.
Breakfast was OK.

1 Thank Richard42
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com, It helps us enormously to maintain our standards. Thank you for all of your feedback.
I very much hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre on the next occasion you visit Manchester.

cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here for one night in Manchester.
The hotel is a good location and impressive.
The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful.
We seemed to be upgraded on arrival to a room normally for members.
The room had 2 double beds lovely crisp linen, great decor and lots of nice touches like water, sweets etc.
The decor is modern but never sterile as are some city centre hotels.
The bathroom was large and no signs of tired grouting or shabby touch ups.
I can't sing this hotels praises enough, having stayed in much more expensive hotels in Manchester I would always chose here first.
My partner left his bathrobe and they kept it for him for almost two months till we could get back!
This is an up to speed, slick and comfortable modern hotel of an excellent standard.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ruthyCheshire
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel, we greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our standards. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

The CP was a very good, comfortable, modern and well-equipped hotel stay for us. What made it utterly brilliant is that we used some Priority Club Rewards points to pay for the room, and because we had highest status we got upgraded even then to Club. So I AM CHUFFED TO BITS....with Crowne Plaza and Priority Club. It's definitely worth trying to be loyal.

Only reason it didn't get 5 points is because of the lack of a car-park or any special deal with the local car parks.

1 Thank Bigmacro
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the tripadvisor website following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester.
I was delighted to read of your positive comments about your stay especially that your Priority Club status was recognised.

I hope to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre in the future.