“Modern Styling”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #16 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Another great stay here but if you have a choice not to stay in room 727 don't as it is immediately under the club room which has a tiled floor. Every sound reverberates into the room making for an awful nights sleep. Saying that though, Maryenn on reception was fabulous and got me moved efficiently.

Otherwise a great hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Avoid room 727
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay here at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. I apologise for any disturbance in the first room allocated to you however I am happy that our staff managed to rectify the situation for you. I will ensure Maryenn receives your compliments.

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.
Bob Fairweather

Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I booked the Crowne Plaza via booking.com and paid over £200 for a double room. This was supposed to be a romantic break for me and my hubby before the madness of christmas, just some chill time together....

Arrival - seemed like absolute chaos as so many people were waiting to check in and I assume this is why we did not receive what I would consider to be a 'welcome' don't get me wrong not expecting a red carpet but more than a 'next' approach would have been nice. Room not ready until 14:00 no big shakes and able to leave the bags.

Location - it is a very short walk to the hive of activity around Deansgate BUT please note this hotel is located opposite the bus interchange bit of a rough area. There is no onsite car park and allow circa £15 per day to park your car in a nearby car park.

Rooms - very clean and obviously a recently refurbished hotel. Beds are firm but comfortable and nice comfy pillows. The main reason I actually did not go as far as to rate the hotel 'poor'.

Food - not the best breakfast at all. Tables super close together, no I am not a big girl, I am a size 8/10 but my bottom seemed to be in the face of the guest next to me when I stood to go to the buffet. Had to wait at the buffet for various things from the hot menu to be replenished as there were three empty containers!

On arrival there were a number of groups waiting to check in so I am truly flummoxed as to why they chose to place a couple in a room opposite the lift! Think someone else has left a similar review on here - bet it is the same room (305 for those of you that need to avoid it). Noise from the road, the bus terminal was bad enough but couple that with drunken groups at the lift, meant very little sleep for either of us :(

I did call down to reception to request ear plugs to be told they did not have any. Now, having travelled extensively and stayed in city hotels where noise could be an issue this annoyed me more than ever. So many hotels understand the limitations of their location but have the decency to set expectation at the start with a bowl of 'free ear plugs for your comfort' at the reception.

The attitude was even more annoying of the person whom answered the telephone as there was simply no concern there at all as to our comfort.

I would never book this hotel again and have asked that it is on our 'blacklist' as a company as I can cope with most things but lack of sleep is not one of them!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. I was very saddened to read your comments and I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused, it is never our intention for any of our guests to leave dissatisfied. I have taken the time to investigate your comments with the team and I am most keen to discuss the points with you mentioned further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com.

Once again we regret your disappointment and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to show you our normal high standards of service we provide to guests.

Kinds Regards

Reviewed 1 December 2013

2 night stay with friends. Fab 2 min walk to arndale...brilliant cafe north next door for breakie lunch booze coffee etc.... Go to spa satori behind hotel for brilliant relaxing facial or massage. Great value. Overall. 100% for our stay Will be back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel, we greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our standards. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and enjoy the facilities in and around the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I was really, really disappointed with this, my first and last stay at this hotel. I paid £149 for one night, room only - for two guests - via Booking.com. I declined breakfast at nearly £15 per head & internet at £10 per device. Car parking nearby - across a busy road, was nearly £10 for 24 hours. The room was the gloomiest I have ever encountered. A lot of matt black had been used in the decor with a grey and black carpet - which would have been fine if the lighting or natural light was sufficient to cope with this. It wasn't. I had to tip the contents of my handbag out onto the bed twice in order to find something as there was insufficient room light even with every electric light switched on and the bathroom door left open. The bathroom was the biggest disappointment and what made the room, for me, unacceptable at this price. We checked in shortly after 2pm - earliest check in time - and having taken our cases up to the 5th floor, immediately asked if we could change rooms - the receptionist (they vary a lot between unsmiling and no-eye contact, to helpful but not really helping) - said no, there were no other rooms available. I really object to being allocated a disabled room / bathroom - especially as on the Booking.com website you can choose one and presumably if you do not tick this box you would expect, at this price, not to be allocated one). Everything is geared for the disabled which is fantastic if you do fall into this category - and as a senior nurse I am very supportive of every location and venue having good disabled facilities and access - but I am not disabled, so having to lie almost prone on the floor to access the safe, finding the hairdryer cord too short to dry my hair unless I sat down was irritating and the bathroom was just unsafe - with water all over the floor as it is more of a wet room- as soon as the first person has had a shower - so we ended up with all our towels on the floor to walk on. Oh, and not really helpful to supply bath gel instead of shower gel when there is no bath. One request I did make was for a quiet room - but being a disabled room it was right next to the lift shaft, so the drone of lifts going up and down all night as folk made their way back after a good night out was irritating. The pillows were also really uncomfortable. I could go on but risk boring readers. I have not felt so unhappy with a hotel for a long time. TOP TIP try breakfast right next door at Cafe North - good coffee and breakfast menus at a fraction of the price of the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I am saddened to read your review and I am very sorry that you did not have a positive visit on this occasion.

We receive a lot of complimentary comments regarding our friendly and helpful team members and I am disappointed to learn that on your visit that you did not experience their service and I sincerely apologise for this.
I am sorry you did not find the room to your liking and I would like to welcome the opportunity to turn this around and discuss your experience in further detail. Please could you kindly contact us at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com.

I can assure you that you have not experienced our ordinarily high standards of service and I do hope that you have a change of heart and that you are able to visit us once again

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Overall this hotel is nice, however my mum and I are on the seventh floor. Nice view but horrific noise!! I've just been down to ask what is above us in room 727, two double bed room, and it's the Club Lounge... So for the last 3.5 hours we've listened to chairs being dragged across wood flooring and high heels walking across it... If you're on the seventh floor and want an early night (it shuts at 10pm), ask for another floor....

Otherwise it's location is fantastic, food was great and I will stay again! Just not on the seventh floor!!!

Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for all of your very kind comments and constructive feedback which we appreciate. I am sorry you were disturbed by the noise above your bedroom. Any inconvenience is most regrettable. I will ensure our maintenance team is made aware of this and they will look into measures to prevent the noise. I do hope you will revisit us again soon as you mentioned and would like to take this opportunity to give you our guest relations email and they will ensure your next stay is as comfortable as possible.

Please send your details to guest.relations@cpmanchester.com

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This is a very good hotel near to one of Manchester's main shopping centres. While the area around is run down and there are too many car parks this hotel is very close and convenient to a shopping centre.
The rooms are spacious clean and airy.
The staff are very good and helpful. I forgot my cufflinks and one of the staff brought a pair of his own in to lend me - service over and above.
The bar and restaurant are good if a little functional. The food is good and good value.
It is good value and if you need to be in this area of Manchester the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I am most pleased that our staff went above and beyond and offered to lend their own cufflinks to you. Your kind comments will be shared with the team.

I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here on various occasions for work and is a professional but friendly place where every need is catered for and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The city centre is at your doorstep so easily accessible for someone even like me who can't walk too much. And when I was there near Christmas they sent me a lovely Christmas card!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Lisa

Thank you very for sharing your comments, I am delighted you have continued to stay with us and hope you continue to do so whether its for work or leisure. Your kind comments have been shared with the team and we hope you can stay this Christmas as well, please can you make contact to guest.relations@cpmanchester.com if you are planning on visiting us again soon.

Thank you once again and Merry Christmas!