“Very good, but not great”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #16 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre for four nights. We had booked two standard rooms for four persons with breakfast.

I liked the hotel´s location in the Northern Quarter, which I think is one of the most interesting parts of the city centre. It´s close to Arndale Centre and just a short walk to Piccadilly Gardens.
We took a mini cab from the airport which was about £25 pounds.

Check-in was quick and friendly. We got our rooms immediately even though we arrived in the early morning. Since we knew she we wouldn't be able to have breakfast on our departure day we asked if we could breakfast on arrival, but were told this was not possible. It´s what we had booked, so that´s alright.

The rooms were nice, very quiet, average sized, both equipped with two very comfy double beds. I liked the large windows! The rooms were clean and had a cool, modern decor. Unfortunately there just little lamps in the room so it´s quite dark in the evening. There´s TV, a kettler, hairdryer, mini-bar, a large desk and an armchair. Storage space is quite limited.
Bathroom was large. There was a shower and bathtub, good-quality toiletries and large, fluffy towels. The toilet was difficult to use, not really good.
Room cleaning was okay, but quite different in both rooms (adjacent rooms!). One room was provided with two complimentary bottles of water every day, lots of cookies and tea and little chocolate bars while the other room only received a minimum (one bottle of water, two cookies, no chocolate at all). Not much of a trouble, but I didn´t see a reason for this because our tipping was the same both rooms.

Breakfast buffet was good. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere. There was a large variety of food although they did not offer everything they claimed to offer on their menu (for example no scrambled eggs, no cranberry juice, no pecan plaits), but still a very good choice of foods.
Service at breakfast was fast and friendly.

Reception staff was very helpful to get a taxi on our departure.
If I get a good rate, I´d book Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Many thanks for your review of the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, I do appreciate the candid feedback we receive from valued guests such as you as we welcome any opportunity to improve the high standards of service we pride ourselves on.
On another note, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

I can assure you that your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments and action will be taken where needed.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The staff in this hotel are worth their weight in gold. They are there for you all the way. The hotel also recognises platinum members within their loyalty program. The rooms are amazing and very comfortable. The location is great and really this hotel has everything you need.

Room Tip: corner rooms are awesome
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments towards our hotel and staff. I will pass on your great feedback accordingly.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre in the future.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This truely is a little gem in the heart of Manchester. We arrived early after an early morning flight and were able to check in straight away, even though it was New Year's Eve. This was great as we were able to catch a few hours sleep before going out to enjoy the festivities. It was also my fiance's 30th birthday and they sent him a bottle of wine as a present - a lovely touch. The room was lovely and clean, really comfortable bed and great shower. I didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that but everything I experienced in the hotel was really good and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 2012Catherine,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza for your visit to Manchester. I was delighted to read your review.
We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete such nice feedback which will be passed on to the team at the hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed the festivities and surroundings of the hotel, as well as your fiance's birthday.

I look forward to welcoming you here again soon.

Best regards,

General manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The CP Manchester is located just next to the Arndale centre so very close to the main shopping district in Manchester.

The rooms are a reasonable size, although the bathrooms (as mentioned in my last review) are a little small for the shower cubicle.

The club lounge is open all hours and has a Nespresso coffee machine, plus breakfast (continental) in the morning. The lounge is compact but has a variety of seating areas.

Would recommend this hotel for city centre goers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

The Management and Staff of the Crowne Plaza Manchester appreciate all of our guests, especially those that take time out of their busy day to write a review about their stay, so thank you very much for your comments.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend our hotel to other travellers.

We all look forward to seeing you again.

Many thanks

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in December. Had two rooms, side by side. One was a Twin which was huge and very comfortable. The other was a King which was a bit tight. Both rooms were executive and had lounge access. The bedrooms in general are very modern with floor to cieling windows and were very comfortable with all the amenities working very well. The bathrooms, although modern, have rather tiny shower cubicles. The service and staff efficiency from reception, concierge, breakfast dining etc were all exceptional! No request was unanswered. The drawbacks I found were housekeeping as I stayed for four nights and didn't have a new bar of soap on any night. Every morning, on the way out I would pass one of the service trolleys and ask them for a bar of soap. Quite surprised at this as a little notice in the bathroom reads "it's the small things that make a big difference". Also I found the lounge quite full and ended up going for a cup of tea out of the busy hours. The location of the hotel is not bad. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by. Overall a lovely experience with great compliment of staff. Will certainly visit again soon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. I am pleased to read that your overall experience was good despite the little issues you have encountered during your stay.
I am sorry to hear that you had to ask for soap every day but rest assured that your comments will certainly be passed on to the relevant departments and will be shared with the management.

Also, I will certainly share your review with the staff here at the Crowne Plaza, they are the heart of the hotel and take pride in what they do.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I used to stay here once every other month until a recent stay in October of this year. I went out to a dinner at 6pm whilst charging my I pad. My key card was with me all the time and when I returned to the room my I pad was missing. It was 1am so I spoke to the night manager and we agreed we would see head of guest relations the following morning. Which I did and my key card was taken away to be checked! It hadn't been used while I was out! Of course it hadn't, It was in my wallet!! all evening. No CCTV in the corridors! So it was my word against theirs! Why would I lie about an I pad being stolen! After an hour of discussions which lead to nothing I checked out and was charged for the ONE beer I had had in the hotel bar! I work in the travel industry and will not use this hotel again. IHG sort your Customer service out. Rant over and still minus my I pad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hops776

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at the hotel, I have read your allegations regarding the unfortunate loss of an IPad. Whilst it is regrettable that this has been lost we cannot accept any liability for the Ipad. When you reported this going missing to our manager on duty, she did everything possible to help you. We conducted an electronic lock read of your bedroom door to determine if anyone had accessed your room. The lock read showed that the only card used to access the room was your room key card. The Guest Relations Manager on duty also offered to assist you in reporting the incident to the police which you declined to do so. Furthermore we do provide an in room safe for any valuables.
I would like to assure you we take a lot of care and attention for the safety and security of our guests as well as their belongings and I am sorry that your Ipad has been lost. We will be happy to assist the police in any way in their investigations should you wish to report this to them.

Regards

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The crowne plaza manchester city centre is a really nice hotel.
It has a really nice modern interior typical of American hotel chains.
Reception is large and has plenty of sitting space for anyone waiting to check in or for simply spending some time relaxing.
The rooms are very tastefully decorated to a good standard with all of the amenities you would expect in a hotel of this standard.
We had plenty of room with a baby in two but found it difficult getting in and out if the room with a pram/pushchair as the doors don't have a hook or stopper to hold them fully open.
The bathroom was spotlessly clean and had a separate shower and bath with complimentary shower gel and soaps as usual.
We had two rooms with an adjoining door which was perfect for our needs and even with the door open we had plenty of room to move about our rooms.
We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant which was nice but lacked the atmosphere that a city restaurant has (we find this with most hotels) it just seemed a little formal especially for families wanting to have a meal with kids.
The food was beautiful and we picked from the festive menu which included a glass of not so nice wine.
Breakfast was really nice and you can order certain items such as poached eggs and eggs Benedict.
You get a really good selection of hot and cold foods with all if the cereals, fruits, cooked foods and pastries you would expect to see in a good hotel.
We found the car parking a bit of an issue and it's a bit of a walk between the NCP over the road. Crossing the road to the hotel is a bit of a nightmare as it is really busy and the pedestrian crossing is the opposite end of the hotel and car park.
The hotel states that they offer valet parking but I could not find anywhere to park my car unppin order for them to park it for me so we had to use the multistory over the road and then car talk of our bags and two prams from the car.
Overall a really nice hotel but I wouldn't use it again with young children due to the access issues.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Pbeck86,

Thank you for all of your comments and constructive feedback, it really helps us to maintain our standards and focus on areas that we need to improve.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and saddened to learn that you were inconvenienced by having to reach the hotel with your baggage and prams from the NCP car park.

I am pleased to advise that in addition to valet parking which we offer at £18 per 24hours, we also co-operate with an open air car park directly opposite the hotel which costs £9.50 for 24 hours parking.

If there is anything else that we can do for you, please email us at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com and our guest relations department will be more than happy to assist.

I look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Kind regards,