“Nice Valentines stay”

Ranked #16 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Nice Valentines stay”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Came here with my partner for Valentines day- a standard queen room cost me £129.00 including breakfast.
It was the second time I've stayed at this hotel, I believe we were in a Club room before as this room was a lot smaller than the one we had. Room was lovely and tidy, only thing that I think they should do is spruce the room up a little bit for couples on Valentines day, I did ask how much it would cost and they told me it would cost £30.00 extra, but I think it should have just been a complimentary thing for the evening, especially for the price you pay to stay. Bed was very comfortable and it was great to have air conditioning
It is a nice location and the staff are very professional and friendly and seemed very happy to help. The breakfast staff were also lovely the next morning and the food was great.
It's a lovely hotel and I would go back again and would recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I am happy to hear that you chose the Crowne Plaza Manchester for your stay on Valentine's day, thank you very much for your kind comments.
Also, I am pleased to read that you found the bed to be so comfortable, we do get many compliments on the comfort of our beds!

I will pass your comments on to all staff here at the hotel.

Thank you again, I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards

Bob Fairweather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel several times and on this occasion I had booked a Club Room Deluxe. When arrived was given a 1st floor room but toilet seat was broke and cracked I felt room was smaller and no different to a normal Club Room and there was no view and looked out over a flat roof disappointing as room is more expensive than a normal club room the room was in a separate corridor with only 2 rooms and draft excluder was hanging off door frame just looked like no upkeep is taking place. I Spoke to reception staff who were ver helpful offered to move me I told them just give me a normal club room which they did it was just ok room was at back of hotel so quieter but room was very dark as it only had a small window which looked directly onto floors on hotel behind what was strange is that the curtain covered whole wall even though window was quite small compared to front of hotel also plugs in the room 1 was completely smashed in below bench at side of bed if you had young children with you could easily crawl under and potentially electrocute themselves just feel hotel is slipping and not what I expect from the Crown Plaza brand I don't consider myself a difficult traveller and just look for basic things I will be considering staying in another hotel on my next visit.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank neil c
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear neil c,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regrettable the room you received did not live up to your expectations. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that you will consider us again on your future travels.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Excellent location for the Printworks, shopping, the northern quarter etc For £9 (outdoor) ot £12 (indoor) you can book 24 hours car parking at the desk, which is a good deal ! Breakfast superb as are the rooms, modern, stylish decor + super-comfortable. The only issues which would prevent me giving it 5 stars are the price (little bit expensive) and also we mentioned to the desk there had been an unusual mumbling, mechanical sound all night from our room, upper floors at the rear, not sure if it was air con, heating system, pipes etc or maybe building site next door, desk were very polite and said were glad we'd brought it to their attention but they couldn't offer an explanation ?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We very much appreciate you taking the time to complete your comments on www.tripadvisor.com, It helps us enormously to maintain our standards.
Thank you for all of your comments and constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your nights' sleep.
If you would like to discuss your feedback in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com, our Guest Relations Team will be happy to help.

Thank you again.

Best Regards

Msida
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel - check in was quick and easy and the staff in the reception area were extremely helpful and accommodating. On the second day, we asked for extra tea and toiletries in the room and we also had an issue with one of the spot lights in the wardrobe (which we couldn't switch off) and they immediately sent someone to fix the light and to give us the extra things.

The room we were in was a twin room and was spacious enough for 3 people and very clean. They cleaned the room every day and we always found fresh towels available when we returned to the room in the evening. Beds are very comfortable too!

The hotel is situated in an ideal location, only a few minutes away on foot from Arndale Shopping Center and from Market Street. You can get to the hotel easily by taking the train to Piccadilly from the Airport and then the metro link (tram) to Shudehill. A single ride with no return on the tram costs 1.20GBP during off peak hours. Very cheap and convenient. The tram passes through market street so if you're in Manchester to shop, you don't need to carry your bags on foot, you can just hop onto a tram to the hotel.

The breakfast area is spacious enough and is served in the Glass House restaurant on ground floor. You can choose to have bread, croissants, fruit, cereal, bacon, sausages, baked beans, potatoes, eggs and much more. There's nothing like a good traditional English buffet breakfast in the morning! The staff working in the breakfast lounge are very friendly and will cater to your every whim.

At the top of our list of complaints was the internet connection. Our room was located on floor 6 and we didn't have a decent wifi connection. To get a decent wifi connection you have to pay for premium access. This was very disappointing! With the free wifi provided you can only check your emails and browse a little. Forget watching any youtube videos.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay but if I were to go back to Manchester, I don't think I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza, mostly because when I travel I need a good internet connection and I couldn't get one here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gudida82
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel, we greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our standards.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay on some aspects but, on another note, sad that you could not make use of the internet facilities as much as you would have liked.

Our Guest Relations Team is available to assist, we would very much like to have you here with us again. The email address of our guest relations team is guest.relations@cpmanchester.com.
They look forward to assisting you.

Best regards

Ireland
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weekend in Manchester & stayed at this great hotel.
Upon arrival we received a complimentary room upgrade which definitely made us happy as it was a very nice room.
The hotel is in a great location, with the train station within walking distance (which brings you to the Manchester Airport) or taxi approximately £20.

The hotel staff were so helpful whenever we needed help with directions etc.
While booking I was in contact with a lovely lady, Agata, who really was very helpful!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for something central. Or if you are going to a match at Old Trafford like we did. Perfect!

The Arndale shopping centre is only 5 minute walk from the hotel which is good, but if you prefer something better id recommend a trip to the Trafford Centre which is only 25 minutes by bus.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments following your most recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.
It is an immense pleasure to hear such kind words, please be assured that I have passed these on to the teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back where a warm welcome will await you.

Kind regards

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here on Friday 7th feb 2014 in a club executive king room the room was lovely and spacious and the bed was the softest I've ever slept on!! We had dinner in the hotel which was absolutely lovely along with breakfast which was equally as good!! The cocktails in the main bar are delicious and we had use of the club bar on the 8th floor for free drinks and canapés between 6pm and 8pm I would defo recommend upgrading your room to get this facility! Every single member of staff are polite and pleasant even down to the room cleaners who greet you with good morning when walking past them all. We also used the valet parking which was hassle free and very efficient. I can't thank the staff enough for such a pleasant stay here and I will definitely be visiting again aswell as recommending this hotel to friends and family!

Room Tip: Club rooms allow you access to the club bar on the 8th floor for free drinks and canapés definitely...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
My sincere thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre. We do get many comments on our comfortable beds and the amenities included in the Executive Club Rooms.
Needless to say, I was delighted to read your comments about the staff, the service in the room and restaurant, and the food, and I look forward to sharing this great feedback with all of the team.

Many thanks again.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,128 helpful votes
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is 3 stops on the Bury tram route out of Manchester Piccadilly, and is easily reached. It faces the new Angel HQ of the Co-op Group which has won accolades for its environmental credentials. As other Co-op buildings are in this quarter of Manchester, this hotel could be a good base if you are doing business with them.
The hotel looks a quality one and its staff were invariably helpful and efficient. Our room 725 had two extremely comfortable beds. The price at £135 per night inc breakfasts was fair. These are good points. What then let the hotel down?
1. The room was too small for two giant beds. One pressed against the outside wall; the other with too small gap between it and the wardrobe.
2. Noisy lift which we noticed too often
3. Wardrobe badly designed so not enough hanging space for dresses and trousers, and too short a drop for shirts, blouses etc.
4. Shower cabinet was a good idea but too small for anyone larger than us ; and we weigh only 70 kgs!
5. old fashioned basic breakfast : bread mainly slices; juices not good quality ; a lot of fruit out of tins; cheeses in supermarket wrapped portions, weak coffee etc.

The Crowne Plaza is the number 2 brand in IHG group but fell way short of the top brand Intercontinental. Have a look at the breakfasts eg in Warsaw and Berlin to see what can be done.

For location and a comfortable sleep, this would be a good choice. Not otherwise

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the noisy lifts
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear alanreynolds,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room size, noise and the food selection. We will address these concerns. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.