“Good night's stay in Manchester”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #16 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Good night's stay in Manchester”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I booked this hotel for a weekend away for my girlfriends 21st. I booked it well in advance and I got a really good price for a standard room. After arriving in Manchester and parking (which the hotel have a discount on the NCP car park over the road) we got into the hotel late. The hotel is centrally located and is on a main bus route and is within walking distance of The Printworks which is full of bars and restaurants. Whilst checking in, we were greeted by friendly staff and was we were upgraded to a Club room (Bigger beds, brighter rooms, bathrobe and slippers) which I was really pleased about and was well deserved after driving on a friday evening from Birmingham. We had a drink in the hotel bar which was averagely priced but set a nice modern relaxed feel.
Overall, although we were only there for the night, the stay was brilliant and really made the weekend away and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the Tripadvisor website following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Manchester. I am delighted that you and your girlfriend chose the Crowne Plaza for her birthdayt and enjoyed your experience at the hotel.
Thank you for all your kind feedback on the hotel staff, I'll be happy to pass them on to them.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Bob Fairweather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
staffordshire
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here with my parents for two nights last weekend. Sadly ,when we went to our rooms we found the one room which I was going to share with my Mum ( as my dad was only staying the one night ) had a double bed. My mum is disabled and needed a wet room/ bathroom and after calling reception to see if we could change rooms, we were told they only have wet rooms with double beds. This is a shame, although the room was lovely and the bed very comfy. The rest of the hotel was lovely and as we arrived late on the Friday night we decided to eat our evening meal at the hotel. We all had a set menu which was an absolute bargain at £20.00 a head for 3 courses and a glass of wine ! The service was excellent and the food was really lovely and very filling. We arrived for breakfast the next morning and met with the Head of Service. My Dad is hard of hearing and he making general inquiries and repeated himself a couple of times . Sadly the Head of Service became very petulant and rude and with a very raised and impatient voice level said ' Sir I just need your room number ! '' Thankfully my Dad did not hear him but my Mum and I felt very offended....... Breakfast we felt was good apart from the scrambled eggs we ordered. The rest of the hotel staff were lovely, very friendly and accommodating. We had a bar meal in the evening before going off to our concert which was again really nice and very reasonably priced . Breakfast the next morning we did not initially see the Head of Service we had the previous day but he later showed another couple to their table next to where we were sitting and he explained the menu and service to the wife of the couple. The husband had not heard him properly and yet again this same man raised his voice with this gentleman and said '' Sir ! i have just explained all of this to your wife !'' ......... Not at all good........ The location of the hotel was perfect for us for shopping and close to the O2 arena. I would come again and would recommend this hotel to others just some staff training required in manners for that one member of staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
At the Crowne Plaza Manchester, we appreciate all of our guests, especially those that take time out of their busy day to write a review about their stay. Reviews from our guests, be they good or bad, help us gauge what we are doing well and what we need to improve on.
I have taken into consideration your very helpful comments and will address them to the the staff involved.
I apologize for any inconvenient situation you have experienced during your stay, but I am glad to know that you will come back to visit us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Norttinghamshire
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

The accommodation is comfortable staff very nice and friendly but unfortunately the breakfast let it down, we were there on a Sunday morning the restaurant was very busy, it was chaos! There didn't seem to be many staff, the poor things were running around like headless chickens, I had a hair in my mushrooms, my sister had one on her toast and in her tea and the scrambled eggs were inedible, grey with burnt bits (yuk) we complained and they were very apologetic, I won't stay here again, sorry.

Stayed March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear MaxyNottinghamshire,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are so pleased you liked the friendliness of our staff. Please allow us to apologize you were not satisfied with our breakfast selections. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed last night for one night. Check in very smooth, asked for ice etc to be delivered to the room - super fast service within 15 mins.

Nice looking room, very disappointed to see several crusty white stains on the decorative cushions on the bed and smeared handprints running down the overbed feature (I dread to think what was on those hands!) so obviously this hadn't been cleaned thoroughly. Put me off pretty much immediately!

Bathroom spotless, separate bath and showers - NO dressing gowns and a shoddy attempt at toiletries - a bar of soap and moisturising cream....hmmm - I expected in this star rating hotel a bit more attention to detail - could have brought my own if I had known - slightly annoyed at that considering it was into and beyond £200 for the room!

Nice size bed, mattress soft, VERY small and uncomfortable pillows. Can compare to beanbags. Even the spare was equally small and lumpy.

Air conditioning noisy and somewhat unstable temperature wise, we couldn't get it right even though it was digital so had a pretty unsettled nights sleep thanks to that! Take extra water because your mouth will be like sandpaper by the morning!

For a city centre hotel it wasn't too noisy, especially not from other guests. We never heard a muffle!! At the end of the day if you want quiet, go rural!

Ideally placed for shopping, MEN arena etc - really pleased with the location - we recommend you park in the NCP carpark across the road.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Just didn't seem worth the money, particularly considering it's an additional £13 each for breakfast.
Sorry Crowne Plaza, I'd rather save the £ and check in elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank caroline c
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear caroline c,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked a suite in this hotel, very clean, bed and pillows comfy, but the service was terrible, booked a table in the restaurant 3 days prior to visiting for 5.30, we were still waiting for someone to take our order 50 minutes later. We were also unable to buy a drink at the bar whilst we waited as the bar staff were run of their feet trying to wait on guests in the restaurant and bar area, unfortunately we eventually had to leave without the meal as time was then not on our side, we booked breakfast to be delivered to our room between 9.00am and 9.30am again we were left waiting until 10.30 when we checked out, but they kindly charged us for the room service, tried ringing room service, and housekeeping again nobody seems to answer telephones. Can safely say we will not be visiting again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaManCity, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. We value all guests’ comments and feedback as they help us to constantly improve our service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered while you stayed at our hotel. Please be assured this is below our usual standards at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre and we regret that we couldn’t have done more for you during your stay.
Also, I can assure you that you were not charged for the delivery service.
I know our Guest Relations Manager did everything in his power to help, and I know our guest relations team has tried to get in touch with you after you left.

If you would like to discuss these points any further, then please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly at guest.relations@cpmanchester.com.

We do hope that if your travels ever bring you back to Manchester you would consider staying with us again.

Best Regards

North Wales
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed here for my birthday, booked by my husband. Hotel was about a 5 minute walk from Arndale Centre. Very smooth check-in. Front of house staff very friendly and efficient. A bottle of wine and two glasses together with a birthday card were waiting our arrival in the room...nice touch. Standard room more than adequate for one night. Ironing board, iron and tea/coffee making facilities in room. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever and would definitely book this hotel again. Many hotels are overly warm and uncomfortable. This one was fab as there was no heating unless you switched it on. Slept really well in a big comfortable bed. If I had a gripe about anything it would be that the shower was extremely compact and bijou! But there was plenty of hot water.

Room Tip: For the one night, as standard room was so good, wouldn't need to pay extra for bigger rooms.