“quality modern hotel”

Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Ranked #17 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 April 2010

stayed here last night for business. I wanted to stay at the other end of deansgate as it was nearer where I needed to be but because of a united match the hilton, raddisson, malmaison and city inn was full. so i was kind of forced to the crowne plaza although i thought it a bit out of the way. it is not but is right behind the arndale.

valet parking is £18 but we parked in the printworks which was across the road and very light and new for which the hotel gives you 25% discount to about £10

bar was full for the football so I had room service which was great - omlette was £5.99. extra tv channels including itv2

bath and shower, mini bar, tea and coffee (no herbal tea)

altogether very nice

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
RobinFord70, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2010

Thank you for your recent comments regarding Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre, we appreciate you taking the time to make people aware of experience during your stay.

If you would like to discuss any part of your experience further I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you personally, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.

robin.ford@cpmanchester.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,637)

Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Crowne Plaza Hotel met all our requirements while staying for the ATL Conference in Manchester. We stayed for three nights and the service was excellent. We had room 422 which was really comfortable with two double beds that had lovely soft mattresses and four pillows each, which we appreciated while away from home. There was a large plaza television in the room. The decoration was tasteful and modern, giving a fresh look about the place. The housekeeping was very efficient and the staff friendly. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast provided a substantial meal comprising a complete and full range from cooked food to toast and cereals on a buffet basis, but if you preferred something else such as fish or eggs benedict etc, this could be ordered from the menu. A full range of fruit was available also. A small observation we might make was that the price of the drinks at the bar,we considered expensive, although they were served by an excellent bar steward. Another downside was the lack of hotel car parking , meaning you had to park in the public car park close by and although the hotel gave 25% off the cost, it was slightly inconvenient. Generally overall it is a super hotel that meets all modern requirements. We would recommend the Crowne Plaza Hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights, hotel perfectly located on edge of Northern Quarter, very close to everywhere we wanted to go. Smooth check-in, very nice Club Room with bath and separate shower, floor to ceiling windows, plenty of room. Only gripe would be that the Club Lounge only serves drinks & canapes from 6 to 8pm every evening which is not long enough. Parking very close by at reduced rate of £10 per day. All-in-all would definitely stay here again if visiting Manchester and could get a good deal on a room. Wouldn't pay full whack for a Club Room, but perhaps that's just me!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review; I appreciate you taking the time to alert others of your experience and I have shared your comments with our team here at the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss any part of your experience further I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss personally, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.

Reviewed 31 March 2010

I stayed here from the 24th/27th March with my daughter. Had a rate including full Breakfast - excellent value for money.
Hotel is very modern in design and to some it might appear quite stark. Although no great views from the bedrooms, the hotel is only a few minutes walk from a Metro stop and about 10 minutes walk from a huge variety of restaurants and some excellent shopping, eg Harvey Nicholls & Selfridges.
Buffet breakfast was good, although staff could be quicker about clearing away dirty dishes from tables - tended to walk past and ignore them. Also over the 3 mornings, the plates for the cooked breakfast were never hot.
I had a twin bedroom to the back of the hotel and thought that it had been badly designed. The bed at the window was so close that you could not close the curtain easily and only get in/out from one side. However the main problem was the restricted daylight in the room - the window was only about one third of the available space and this was made worse by a net curtain. The light was poor if you wanted to sit on the edge of the bed and try to read a paper or book as there was no ceiling light - only some small reading lights on the back of the bed - their light did not reach very far.
You do not expect a new build Crowne Plaza, or any 4 star hotel, to have this kind of problem. I make my comments from an industry perspective, as I am involved in the quality grading of hotels. The hotel also does not have a coments procedure in place, as I expressed my concern to Reception on checking out and have heard nothing further.

• Stayed: March 2010

Thank you for your recent review; I appreciate you taking the time to alert others of your experience.

I have shared your comments with our management team and we have taken away your comments around the room design and décor, unfortunately as this is a design led issue and very much centers around the overall design of our hotel, given your background as you mention in your review I hope you would agree there is minimal opportunity to amend in retrospect.

I also noted your comments around breakfast; this has since been discussed at great lengths with my Executive Chef and Restaurant & Bar Manager relevant steps to correct such problems including purchasing new heating elements for the plate warmer have been taken.

Reviewed 30 March 2010

From the minute we arrived all the staff were friendly and helpful, the room lovely, clean and modern and despite other reviewers comments about the lighting, we had no problems and thought it was ideal. Bathroom was spotless.

We had a meal in the hotel restaurant which was good, but I really can't enjoy a sweet salad dressing with a savoury meal. The first two wines we chose were unavailable, not good for a hotel of this standard, but the staff were most pleasant and helpful and made up for the other shortcomings.

I also notice from other reviews there were complaints about breakfast, both of us thought the scambled eggs extremely good for a hotel and the coffee was plentiful, no complaints from us.

Only a five minute walk and you are in the city centre, or the same distance to the Victoria Station for trams and trains. We would definitely return for another Manchester break!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review on our hotel; we really appreciate you taking time out of your day to to alert others of your experience during your recent stay with us.

Unfortunately from time to time we do have wines that are either unavailable from the vineyard or are sold out due to levels of demand, we work very hard to try to source all our wines in large enough volumes but on rare occasions limited availability is prohibitive.

Overall it’s great to read you have a nice stay and should you wish to discuss any part of your experience further I welcome the opportunity to discuss personally, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

I was with a group for the Manchester vs Liverpool game.
The breakfast was good however, it would be nice to be asked if we wanted more tea or coffee.
The lighting in the hotel and room was a bit dark.

• Stayed: March 2010

I have shared your comments with our management team and we have taken away your comments around the room being a little dark, this is very much to do with the design of the property.

Reviewed 25 March 2010

The web site offered me a room with two double beds for the price of a standard room, naively assuming that this implied a larger room, I accepted. Instead they had shoe horned two beds into a normal sized room. The remaining floor space was perfectly adequate for one person – but then the second bed serves no useful purpose! Two sharing the room would be so cosy that you’d end up sharing a bed, and four in the room would be totally out of the question unless you’re planning something very intimate – so I’m not sure if I was upgraded or was simply looking after a spare bed?

The other problem is the room lighting and décor – the lighting levels are absurdly low and the décor includes large gloss black panels and grey walls so that if you try to work in the room, cabin fever kicks in fairly quickly and you have to adjourn to the bar.

There is no parking – but reception will discount your NCP ticket to £10 for 24 hours, and the advertised free internet only applies in the public areas, they charge £5 to plug into the room broadband. The net result is a bill £15 higher than say the Crown Plaza Liverpool where both parking and broadband are free.

On the positive side, the bathroom had a separate bath & shower and the staff were extremely friendly and attentive. Overall, a good choice if you need to be in that part of Manchester, only intend staying one night, and don’t suffer from any form of light deficiency disorder – otherwise, you’ll get better value elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

I have shared your comments with our management team and we have taken away your comments around the room design and décor, unfortunately as this is a design led issue and very much centers around the overall design of our hotel there is minimal opportunity to amend in retrospect.

I note your comments around Car Parking but as I hope you agree car parking in any major city can be a problem and we offer a car parking solution less than 150 meters away from our front door with a discounted (25%) rate and a designated bay to drop off in front of the hotel – given that we do not have a Car Park we feel this is a great service to provide.

I hope this does not put you off choosing to stay in future and we will see you return to Crowne Plaza Manchester very soon. Should you wish to discuss any part of your experience further I welcome the opportunity to discuss personally, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.