“Great price, great staff, horrible bed!”

Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Ranked #25 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Roanoke, Virginia
“Great price, great staff, horrible bed!”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

First off be aware that there are two Premier Inns at the Manchester airport. One on the left as you enter and one on the right. Not sure, but the one on the right may be newer because it had only self serve kiosks to check in at while the one on the left had an actual staffed desk. We discovered this when we went to the wrong inn. I must say that the price was excellent as was the location, the check in process and staff. We found the staff to be friendly and welcoming. The room was larger than expected and very clean but it felt like a sauna - and that never improved! The temperature and humidity in the foom were stifling to say the least. It was only about 62 degrees F outside too. The window only opens a crack so opening it made no difference and we got a lot of noise from the motorway. Our major source of contention though was the bed. My husband never complains about anything but this bed in 437 was an exception. It was like sleeping on a box spring with no cushioning and the springs felt like (and sounded like) they were coming through when you sat or layed on the bed. I guess I have to remember that when it comes to this hotel - it is what it is - a budget hotel, close to the airport. For that it served its purpose. Not so sure I would stay again though because it was certainly not restful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Lloyd_Green, Manager at Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Premier Inn Manchester Airport.

I am pleased to hear that our team provided excellent service to you.

Regarding your comments about the bed in your bedroom, I have contacted you directly to get some more information so that in line with our Good Night Guarantee we can refund the cost of your accommodation with us.

I have asked my Housekeeping Team to inspect the bed in your room as any mattresses that are reported as being uncomfortable will be replaced.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Premier Inn Manchester Airport and would like to assure you that all feedback is acted upon to ensure our guests have a restful stay with us.

Regards

Lloyd Green
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Polish first
Somewhere In
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We have stayed at this modern generic budget hotel a few times now. We find it convenient when catching a plane early in the morning or having a place to stay between flights from the Manchester Airport.

The staff are professional, courteous and accommodating. The rooms are large, clean and well-kept. The hotel is a stone's throw from the airport and next to a highway so it can be noisy if the double-glazed windows are open.

The restaurant does a buffet brunch that is reasonably priced with a wide variety of breakfast options (eggs, sausages, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh and dried fruit, toast, cereal, juices, coffee, tea, milk, yogurt, muffins etc and is well-prepared and of good quality.

Note: For those that are not encumbered with heavy luggage and wish to stretch their legs, the airport is a 20 minute walk from the hotel along a paved curving bike path. You will see a variety of birds such as ring-necked doves, wrens etc. and the rare cyclist along this desolate trail.

Room Tip: Rooms either face the highway or face the parking lot so you will get noise from cars or people comi...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CuriousGeorgia
hannah90
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed here before flying the following day. Check-in was fast and staff were helpful and polite. Room was excellent. Plenty of space and very clean. Not too noisy around the corridors. Ate in the restaurant and service was again excellent. Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
Durham
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We just stayed one night before our flight paid £29 and it was very good, only two or three mins from long stay car park, would use again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
manchester UK
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Stayed before my flight to Greece. Not much to say as premier inn are so uniformed and the same as each other.

Rooms comfy and clean, large enough to swing a cat in as the old saying goes.

Girl on reception was really nice and friendly, bar staff were the same. Was up at 4am so didn't sample breakfast or their food at all.. Nice pint though!

They sorted taxi for us... No problems with that.

only negative was on the side of the building I was on I could hear the m56 motorway... But this was by no means loud, very low volume and didn't interfere with my sleep.

Great pillows by the way.... Lovely and spongy, and spares if required

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Howardmcfc
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed at the Freight Terminal Premier Inn with my 5-year-old the night before collecting my better half from an incoming morning flight arrival. All-in-all, what I'd expect from Premier Inn. Clean, modern and very comfortable room with a truly excellent breakfast. A good experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mardconsult
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I paid extra to stay here than the other Manchester Airport hotel as the online map said it was closer - they share a carpark!

A carpark incidentally you have to pay for, £5 a night when I went, which brings me to my title - you can anything you want, it just costs you extra, wifi? That's another fiver.

By the time you've finished paying everything you could've stayed in a non-budget hotel and actually had a nice stay.

The bed was as hard as granite and I think it've been more comfortable to sleep on the floor - they have a "good night's sleep guarantee" but by the time you've overslept because it's taken you so long to fall asleep you're too busy rushing out the door to argue with them for the refund.

The advertised £29 a night may be achievable if you book 49 months in advance whilst the moons are aligned and your booking was made via satanic ritual involving goats blood and a disembowelled chicken - booking a month ahead it cost me £70, more than twice as much for those slow on the ol' math. (241.37931034483% more for those with OCD)

I see alot of positive reviews for this hotels, I'm not going to outright call these people masochists or proof that care in the community should have it's limits but I do wish I could have some of whatever it is they're on - especially as a week after I had the "opportunity" to stay at a Travelodge in London which did it's best to make me look back on this visit with rose tinted glasses - going the extra mile in their effort to make every single point worse than Premier Inn.

It's places like this that make me glad I don't travel with work and I get to stay at my desk most days, next time I think I'll just pay for overnight parking at the local NCP and curl up in my boot - I'm sure it's more comfortable, and I own a Micra..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo