“FAULTLESS”

Ranked #461 of 2,326 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$36 - US$144
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A casual dining experience, Podium offers guest intimate booth dining, with rich banquettes and Marble Floors. The cuisine is modern international, using local produce. Great for breakfast and ideal for a business lunch, Podium is also perfect for relaxed evening meal before heading to Cloud 23 for a cocktail.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Tried three courses at this restaurant last night and I have to say 'Faultless' is the word that springs to mind. The staff were very attentive, helped I suppose by it being a Wednesday, but none the less very good, jugged tapped water was offered served & replenished. Fresh bread rolls & butter were served while we waited for starters (gratis). I found the food exceptional & as we paid using a Tastecard unbelievable value for money.

1  Thank JOHNNYHH
There are newer reviews for Podium Restaurant Bar & Lounge

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is the 3rd time I have been to this restaurant, but first as a non-guest of the hotel. The food as always was above par, well cooked, well presented and great flavours. The staff are friendly and attentive without 'pestering'. Yes the food is on the higher priced side, however you're dining at the Hilton! If you prefer a 2 for £10, go somewhere else. Without realising, my waiter noticed my Taste Card in my wallet when I was going to pay for the bill and offered a discount. I've never had someone actively offer a discount, very impressed.

I don't understand why the restaurant is always quiet? I wonder if people think it will be far too expensive, but it's really not. You pay for chat you get.

My only slight criticism was that the bar was showing the opening World Cup game and as such could see and hear the projection. Not enough for me to complain, just a tad off putting. However this will NOT stop me returning for special occasions.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Podium is in the reception area of the Hilton Deansgate. It is very open plan and there are basically two areas – in the open around the bar and a more comfortable/private “booth” type area.

We were staying in the Hilton and wanted something to eat late afternoon, after a bit of shopping and before a visit to the Coronation Street set. There are two menus, one more a la carte than the other. Within our party of four we were split across both menus – the restaurant staff were very accommodating with our requirements. We were served by Vicente – he was very helpful and provided an excellent service to us. We sat in the booth area.

I have to say, that the food was particularly good, we all enjoyed the meal. The prawn cocktail I had was one of the best I’ve had for a long time and my steak pie (home made) was packed with lean meat and with lovely pasty. The wine we chose was good as well.

I can certainly recommend this restaurant and the service.

Evening Bar Service – we returned to the bar later in the evening where a table had been reserved for our party so that we could have a few drinks and watch England lose to the Italians! The drinks service was OK (not perfect or quick, so not worthy of a tip). Unfortunately we ordered some snack meals off the bar menu and these some how got overlooked by the restaurant cooks (who apparently downed tools and went home!). Apologies were given by the manageress (after a 45 minute wait) and accepted with the last round of drinks being given free as compensation.

The metal bucket seats in the bar area may look hip and trendy but they are terribly uncomfortable!

The Podium gets a high rating for the restaurant, service (particularly Vicente) and food – not impressed by the hit-and-miss bar service.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Went to the Podium for a mid week evening meal. We chose Podium as it took Hi-Life cards and went there with little expectation.

We were both plesently surprised the set three course menu gave a great choice and the food was exceptionally good, presentation and service were first class. We had Smoked Salmon and Duck as starters and Beef and Lamb as mains. Oreo cheesecake was a gear end to the meal.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Easter afternoon tea came with sandwiches, scones, cakes, champagne and a cocktail plus tea for £35. We rang up in advance to explain, due to tablets I was on I am unable to drink alcohol, so could we have the Easter tea without the alcohol and have a reduction on the price, and if this was not possible we would downgrade to regular afternoon tea (at £20) we were told this shouldn't be an issue. On arrival we mentioned this to the hostess to be met with a 'computer says no' mentality and said we could have two none alcoholic cocktails instead (I don't really think the value of mixed juice equates to that of a cocktail and champagne...), she was very rude and abrupt. When I explained I was not expecting to pay the regular afternoon price, I was just wondering if we could meet in the middle as that is what we were advised when we rang up in advance (to avoid this awkwardness). She stormed off to ask, and when she came back said her manager said it wouldn't be a problem and they would do it for £26. Which was great, I wish she had gone and asked in the first place as then I felt awkward and embarrassed. The food was lovely (I pray there was not spit in it!). One thing was it was a hot day and it was a greenhouse effect in there... I don't know if the have air conditioning... But after lots of chocolate and hot tea I needed to get out of there and get fresh air. I would still go back, it was just an unfortunate start to what was meant to be a nice day out. My fault for being awkward perhaps...