“My first time ever leaving a review as the place was so bad!”

My-Places Serviced Apartments
Ranked #76 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“My first time ever leaving a review as the place was so bad!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

If you are happy to be staying in an apartment where there is no hot water and you are basically told that in order to get a refund you must leave then this is the place for you. The staff are so rude and quite literally borderline abusive that we had to ask one of them to leave the apartment when he came to look at the boiler. I will never ever stay in one of their apartments again and will listen to other travellers reviews in the future!

As far as I'm concerned no hot water makes a place unliveable, however the people at My Places would disagree.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank KerriRob
my-places53, Manager at My-Places Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Thank you for your review. We understand that there may have been unforeseeable events, which may have contributed to the unpleasant experience of your stay. We do appreciate each and every review and have reflected and acted upon such reviews.

All of our properties have constant hot water boiling systems, thus we are astonished by the fact that there was no hot water at the apartment that you stayed in. We do conduct regular checks on each and every property but there may be one off’s where inevitably things may dysfunction or a customer may not be wary of how to use a particular facility. For such instances is the reason why we have well trained staff who are always ready to assist, as evidently proved when you brought this matter to our attention.

As a company we must investigate each and every complaint thoroughly before we may issue any refunds. For the purposes of protecting our business, a refund must be reasonably warranted, which we hope you find understandable.

The staffs that dealt with you have been disciplined and are no longer work for this company as we do take such allegations seriously. Please note that we now have new well trained staffs that are qualified to provide excellent customer services. We would therefore like to kindly invite you to stay at one of our properties where we can assure you that you will be receiving a luxurious experience.

Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Arabic first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

The flat is very well located, right in the heart of the Northern Quarter of Manchester, but unfortunately is extraordinarily bad value for what you get. The beds were uncomfortable, the flat not as clean as it should have been, the fobs to allow access to the building were temparamental, the remote control for the television did not work, and the staff were not very helpful - and that's if they answered the phone.

They may not be as well located, but there are definitely better and more affordable alternatives in Manchester.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank thetravelingwheel
my-places53, Manager at My-Places Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Thank you for your review, we have taken into account all the points that you have raised.

We work tirelessly towards maintaining our properties to a high standard and appreciate all the constructive comments, which have helped enhance the structure of our business.
You stated that the property was not clean we must note that all our properties are regularly checked and maintained by our dedicated staff prior to the arrival of guests. The staff would have certainly detected and corrected the issue if the place was not clean.

We price all our properties in accordance with the level of services and facilities we provide. For example we provide luxurious items such as flat screen televisions, docking stations and many more items. Every year there is major refurbishments and repairs to all our properties in order to keep up to do date with current trends and provide customer satisfaction.

All of our staffs are trained through our new training programme for customer services, the staff who dealt with you have been dealt with accordingly and no longer work for this company.
We would therefore like to invite you to stay at one of our properties in order for us to provide you with an impressive experience. We do hope that you choose to come and witness all the significant changes carried out thanks to some of the concerns raised on your review.

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

hants
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We only ended up here because our preferred hotel (Roomzzz) was fully booked. There was a bit of a mix up with the check in and the additional charges seemed a little unreasonable. We seemed to be a bit of an inconvenience and the company certainly didn't seem to be happy to be running the apartment.

The place itself was big, but the furniture was cheap and the decor tatty. The plates in the cabinet were dirty, there was barely enough cutlery to service out needs and it was missing things like oven glovesm a tea towel and perhaps a baking tray to use the oven. Myself and my mother would also have appreciated a hairdryer.

The place was covered in clip frames filled with notices saying "Dont do this" and "Dont do that". The biggest was advising not to smoke, this seemed odd to me as the place smelt oddly of cigarettes when we arrived.

The greatest annoyance came from the windows which were locked OPEN!! This meant we were subjected to the full noise of Manchester Uni's Freshers Week and what appeared to be a neighbouring bus station.

We will never use again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank l0vemyh0liday
Thank you for your review, we can assure you that all your comments have been taken into consideration. First and foremost we have acted upon the issues raised and have worked tirelessly towards improving the nature of our business.

You claimed that the additional charges were unreasonable but we must bring to your attention that any charges, which you incurred, were subject to our terms and conditions and was not something, which was so implemented at our own discretion. We did keep you well informed with the information pack that was emailed to yourself including all the necessary details including check-in procedures and any additional charges, which may be incurred.
We now have better structured check-in procedures and have new well trained staff that provide exceptional customer service skills.

All our properties go through major refurbishment and redecorating by our team of interior designers every year in order to keep up with current trends. All our properties are regularly checked and maintained had any cutlery or items been absent the maintainer would have brought this to our attention and we would have acted immediately to purchase replacements.
We must also bring to your attention that there is no obligation for us to provide things like oven gloves or baking trays nor do we need to provide hairdryers. We now do provide these luxury items in our properties due to high customer demand.

Our terms and conditions clearly stipulate that we do not tolerate smoking in our apartments we therefore apologise for the fact that a previous customer has breached this condition, which affected to enjoyment of your stay. We have implemented stricter measures to deal with customers who breach such terms and conditions.

All our cleaning staffs now have check lists, which specify the cleaning standards and processes to be satisfied in each property. As well as this, we have maintenance engineers who double check all the properties to ensure that everything is up to standard.

We highly value all reviews, which helped shape the nature of our business today and would like to kindly invite you to experience these significant changes made since your last stay.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Stayed in Chatsworth House Piccadilly

the appartment was so spacious had everything we needed, 7 of us stayed there. The location was right in the city centre everything was very local, parks shops super market and banks and restaurants etc. The manager was so helpful, i must of called him 3 times didnt know how to get the dvd working he came straight away. Was very suprised the kitchen had everything you needed....home from home, will definately book again next year. 19-7-11

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank almasa1
my-places53, Public Relations Manager at My-Places Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
My-Places management would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for your review.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

We had origionally booked a different house to stay in with my places but shortly before we were due to leave for manchester i recieved an email saying when they went to check on the property they found water damage from something leaking. So we were offered alternative accomodation not far from where we had booked. The property we were given was bigger than what i had booked at no extra cost, so this worked out well for us. We stayed at 68 elizabeth street. There were 10 of us staying the weekend there was plenty of space for us in the property as i believe it can sleep 20. There is 3 rooms with showers in (1 over a bath) which worked well for us all to get ready. The kitchen was well equipt and there is a large conservatory which was good for our party games and eating together. There is also a nice paved back garden area. The beds were comfy and linen and towels were provided. The house was clean and the my places team were polite and helpful. There is no officail parking area with this property but there was plenty of road space to park on nearby. The only downside with the property is the noise of the traffic outside as i slept in the front bedroom the property isnt set back from the road and the feeling of shaking when a very large vehicle drove passed when in bed. However this wouldnt stop me from booking again as the property was perfect for our needs, very nice, clean and very close to the city centre. A taxi ride cost us anything from £5.50-£10 in the meter black cabs(the £10 was from a taxi driver taking the mick when he asked if we were from manchester and we said no! so we learnt from that mistake!)
I will definatly book with my places again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank julie_2003uk
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

This apartment is horrendous! DO NOT GO THERE! We were allocated another apartment before we arrived but somehow were given a different apartment when we got there. MY ADVISE IS DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE. The carpets are filthy and the bed barely made with clean linens. I came with my family of 4 adults and we hardly slept a wink. There is a bus stop right below the apartment and there was glasses and bottles being smashed all night long! People were shouting and screaming! Never again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank AberdeenGlenn
MyPlacesManchester, General Manager at My-Places Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
The guest involved in this review was moved into this apartment within the same complex due to a issue with the property originally booked. The property is of a quality standard but we do take on board the comments made regards the carpets and bed linens and as a result we endeavour to improve our service and quality. The location of the property is a prime location in the heart of the city centre and it is unfortunate that the guests di not sleep well as it is something which is beyond our control we can only advise guests that this is a city centre location and noise is not an issue we have any control over as is the same with and city centre apartment or hotel.
Chorley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Having booked quite late through laterooms.com, we were lucky to have found a 4* star luxury apartment for our party of 6 for Saturday 2nd October.

To quote their own website, My Places Manchester state, “This beautiful apartment is in a newly refurbished seven storey block of exclusive luxury apartment located in Manchester City Centre, England. This two bedroom apartment corporate is ideal for comfortable short term stay”.

Please be warned, our personal experience has proved that this quote is far from correct. We were massively disappointed and let down not just be the standard of accommodation requesting £260 for a total stay, but because of the attitude of the staff from the general manager Mr Phillip Walker, the staff on reception via the telephone and the lady that checked us in to the apartment. Not only was their attitude appalling so was their serious lack of attention to detail in cleanliness.

We have attached photos of our experience of the apartment to help others when it comes to choosing and making decisions about where to stay and if you are considering My Places Manchester. Let this be a warning to you.

4 days prior to the arrival, I received a text from My Places, complete with spelling mistakes, to ask how I would be paying for the remainder of my balance for my stay a month ago???? This should have been a red flag for what was to come… I returned communication to ask them to verify the date of our stay as I was worried, I had no reply so I was left to call them by telephone. I left them several messages to call me back which they didn’t. I persisted and eventually got through. The correct date was booked.

On the date of our stay I received another text asking me what time we were to arrive, I replied at 3pm. They then telephoned me to ask the same question.

I telephoned, as requested by them, to let them know when I was approximately an hour away. When we arrived on Lever Street, we couldn’t find the entrance to the building so telephones the reception, we were told a lady would come to find us on Lever Street, she never came and we were left calling them every fifteen minutes to ask them where the lady was, only to told that she couldn’t find us! After nearly an hour we eventually found the building and the lady was waiting in foyer, so they lied and never really sent anyone to fetch us.

We were led up the apartment 606, how awful… it smelled of smoke, the carpets were dirty and stained, the bathroom was dirty and mouldy and very old, rough towels, the shower and its furniture was rusty, some windows didn’t open, another window was broken so opened fully and was definitely a fire, health & safety hazard. There was a safety chain on the front door but nowhere to attach it to (??)… there was no health & safety / fire procedure displayed, the bedding was mismatched, the door stops were toilet roll inners bent over, the light in one of the bedrooms didn’t work, lampshades were ripped and broken, none of the crockery matched, they were all mixes of what people had probably brought and left behind, the duvet were very thin and the worst thing… a poster on the wall that stated the following (picture also supplied) “P&J Properties, My Places. Please Do Not Smoke. Definitely No Smoking in this apartment. In the event that you find it necessary to smoke it will cost you £150 + materials to clean, fumigate and repaint the property whish will be DEDUCTED FROM your SECRUITY DEPOSIT! So, thank you for not SMOKING! By the way, SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke in the property, WE WILL KILL YOU HAHAHA!”

We found this highly offensive and threatening.

We paid in cash for the balance rounded up, there was an additional £1.99 to pay which we refused based on the above points. They also wanted photographic I.D. along with you National Insurance Number and NHS number! We refused to give them this information as they already had my credit card number and us being there paying by cash. I have never had to give this information to anyone when staying in a hotel in the UK or abroad.

All of this prompted a personal visit from Mr. Phillip Walker who we understood is the General Manager. He wanted to see first hand what our concerns were, as we showed him around, he refused to acknowledge them as concerns. What happened to good customer service? When we tackled Mr Walker about the offensive poster regarding the smoking, he laughed and said it was meant to be a joke. We were very concerned about his level of humour and asked why his business who markets themselves as a 4* luxury, serviced apartments as originally quoted, why they should feel the need to offend professional people who would be staying in this kind of property. He should recognise that not customer would have the same humour as him and not to assume anything.

After his visit, we received a threatening text from them stating that if we did not pay the outstanding £1.99 and that we refused to show I.D. and they’d like to reconfirm that they have pre authorised £200 as a security deposit.

At this time we still had no instruction of what to do with the keys to the apartment upon departure. The next morning, at 10.04am we received another text to say that the cleaner was in the building and to hand the keys to her at 11am… we had already left due to a work commitment and decided to leave the keys on the apartment table and shut the door behind us. We texted back this information to then some hours later receive another text at 14.57pm, it gave a dramatic “Thanks to God that everything was intact and in place, things could have been so much worse!”.

In summary I would never stay here again and would recommend to others that they to avoid this company and this apartments. I have stayed in far better in Manchester.

This was a huge disappointment. Stay here at your own peril!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank BooMcTav
MyPlacesManchester, Manager at My-Places Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
The events surrounding this situation are unfortunate.

The clients, booking came through on 21st September 2010 at 13:35. The client booked for 6 Adults + 1 child with an arrival time of 18:00. The client booked our apartment 606
Chatsworth House. This apartment is located in the heart of Manchester City Centre, easily accessible whether client you are driving or walking to the apartment. The full address was sent to the client on the 22/09/2010 at 12.23 along with all relevant information in a confirmation email. The complainant’s issues regarding the booking all started on the client way to the property on the 2nd of October 2010 when the client got lost.

The confirmation email which we send to all guests that book with us, confirms that a deposit has been taken and advises them to inform us which method of payment best suits them regarding the payment of the outstanding balance. On the 22/09/2010 at 12.23 we sent out a confirmation email to the client regarding the clients stay informing the client that a deposit had been taken and asking the client to inform us of the method of payment that best suits the client. We did not get a response from the client so within 7 days prior to the client’s arrival we asked the client again to advise us how the client would like to pay the outstanding balance for the client stay with us of which the client stated to make payment in cash upon arrival. Everything that is sent out is proof read making sure that we provide the right information required by the client, under rare occasions mistakes are made regarding the spelling of information sent out but this is not a crime.

The weekend the client booked, all of our apartments were fully booked up this meant our operations were running at full capacity. We meet and greet all our clients at the apartments they book. This is one of the unique services we provide, it means that we are able to show the client to their apartment, showing them all the features of the apartment they have booked. We provided the client the address to the apartment the client booked in the confirmation email sent out on the 2nd of October 2010 at 12:33 informing the client that we would meet and greet the client at the address. The client contacted our office informing us that the client could not find the property. We provided the client again with the address to the property but the client was still unable to find it. The client then informed us that we should come and fetch the client, this is a service which we do not provide, even with this in mind with our tight schedule on the day we sent out one of our colleagues to find the client but we were unable to and had to return to the property to deal with further client check ins.

We sent out the client’s invoice on the 22/09/2010 at 12.23. This included a complete breakdown of the cost of the clients stay. It informed the client that a deposit of £78.00 had been taken off the client’s card and the remaining balance of £181.99 was due. Upon the clients arrival at the apartment the client informed us that we would have to come back later to get the remaining balance for the clients stay with us as the other members of the client’s party had not arrived yet and the client was waiting to collect all their monies. This is not how we operate as stated in our confirmation email we informed the client that the balance is due prior or on the client’s arrival. For us to issue the keys to the client we would have to take the full outstanding payment for the apartment. The client arrived at the apartment without the funds of £181.99. This meant the client had to go to the bank to withdrawn funds but the client only came back with £180 only thus still owing us an outstanding balance of £1.99. This was not an additional charge but the sum which was outstanding from the clients stay with us which until now the client has failed to pay.

We never requested the clients National Insurance Number and NHS number, all we requested as is our general practice is photographic identification for fraudulent reasons to ensure that the guest to whom we hand over the keys is to the person who booked the apartment with us. We strongly refute these claims that the client, is saying as completely false. The confirmation email we sent out confirms that we need picture identification upon customer check in.

the signs in the apartment regarding smoking were put up to get our point across without being over the top. The sign was designed in a humour way and not one of our previous guests has ever had a problem with, they have always commented on the unique method in which the sign is constructed in a positive manner. Our apartments are always aired out and we make sure that all clients staying in our apartment do not under any circumstances smoke. They are informed if there is evidence of smoking in the apartment we will recover the cost to fumigate the apartment to rid the smell of smoke therefore under no circumstances did anyone smoke in the apartment which the client stayed in.

All the clients that stay with us are informed through our confirmation email that a pre-authorised amount of £199.99 will be held against their card as a security deposit in the event that there is any damage to the property. No threaten text message was sent to the client regarding the pre-authorised amount and we ask that this is provided.

The e-information pack we sent out clearly states the check out time of 11am and has our contact number but we did not receive any phone calls regarding this matter. The client, upon the client’s departure left the apartment unlocked and the keys on the table to the apartment. Guests if in doubt about the procedures of check out are advised to contact our office but we received no calls from the client there are also checkout procedures up within the property which are well signposted. This situation could have been very damaging as we have modern equipment in the property and if thieves had been able to access the apartment because it was unlock we could have lost everything in the apartment.
We are unhappy the client experience with us was not the best but we conducted our affairs in the correct and utmost manner. When the client arrived at the apartment the client was upset because the client could not find the property. This was not due to any fault of our own. Customers usually find the apartment easily, we send out the address within the confirmation email and we were unable to find the client when the client could not find the property. We conducted our affairs to the highest of standards but unfortunately the client did not see it that way. The client was treated with the utmost respect during the clients stay with us.
By looking through our testimonials favourable review can be found regarding clients stay with us in the past. All the reviews are honest and current with our level of customer service always to a very high level.

Customer care is a big part of the service we offer our clients. We make sure we offer the highest level of service and take very seriously any complaints regarding customer satisfaction. Our apartments are cleaned to the highest of standards, with the apartments checked by our manager after cleaning is carried out by the cleaning staff and before the guests arrive. We thank the client for the points which the client has brought to our attention. We will carry out a thorough investigation into the points the client has raised and will use it to constantly improve our business operations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Deansgate Locks) Hotel
#18 of 20 in Salford
No photo provided
Oxford Road House
#17 of 81 in Manchester

Been to My-Places Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!