“Guaranteed good atmosphere mid week”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gusto Didsbury

Gusto Didsbury
Ranked #204 of 2,246 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$32 - US$58
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Right from walking through the door the Gusto Restaurant and Bar - a vibrant and trendy New York style Italian restaurant - exudes a friendly atmosphere you can’t help but feel a part of. Taking its cues in décor from 1950s NYC but with a modern twist, the focus is on the finest freshly prepared Italian dishes from throughout the ages. A restaurant of classical elegance and glamour, Gusto’s menu offers an impressive range, from wood fired pizzas to whole lobster, salt baked sea bass and 28 day aged Premium Steaks. The children’s menu is also fun, allowing the kids to create their own pizzas.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Guaranteed good atmosphere mid week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Six colleagues up from London and wanted somewhere on a Tuesday night that would still have a decent atmosphere and this did. Probably two thirds full by the time we got to our 8pm table. Sat on the raised area at the back we were in one of the booths (never personally a fan of having to shuffle round one of those needing three people to get up when you need a comfort break) and by the till which wasn't great but ok. Air conditioning was freezing us to death but to be fair the waitress turned it down when we asked pretty quickly.

The table ordered a fairly wide range of starters and mains and all were enjoyed. Sardine fillets wrapped in prosciuotto to start - nicely salty with lots of flavour. I like that main courses can be ordered in a small or large size and went for a small portion of seabass with roasted peperonatt and a lemon puree and the lemon was just right, not over powering but compliementing the fish. As a side my treat was Italian fried courgettes which were . . . . ok if a little bland, the light tempura style batter seemed to lack seasoning and flavour but they were fine.

We had two non drinkers amongst us who enjoyed some of the mocktails which were all brought with regular service and the rest of us shared a bottle of red and wine - no bargains here but no outrageous prices either. Having said that my London (mostly southern) colleagues all thought it was exceptionally cheap but that's a different story.

Minor grumble at the end when post main courses we were abandoned for about 10 minutes and had to do some frantic arm waving so we could pay the the bill and head across the road to watch extra time in a World Cup game but that's a minor grumble.

• Visited June 2014
LivingVentures, General Manager at Gusto Didsbury, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad your party enjoyed there visit. Apologies it look longer than usual to take payment from your table.

“best desert ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

i had the best desert i've ever had here,hazelnut and choc brownie with pistachio icecream! not cheap,but worth every penny! generally the food is nice,not the best italian i go to,but the cocktail menu is also great. service is nice and i found it quite speedy. good location on the main road,nice restaurant,perhaps a little gloomy? toilets and restaurant area very clean.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank vanessa k
LivingVentures, General Manager at Gusto Didsbury, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy you found our desserts so enjoyable. We have added some desserts since your visit in January. I hope to see you at Gusto Didsbury soon.

London, United Kingdom
“Nice pizza and moules”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Can't complain about anything here, good service, nice atmosphere and solidly enjoyable food. Probably won't go back but wouldn't mind strolling in accidentally by any means

Thank your for leaving your feed back. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.

“Basic Principles Lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Overall nowhere near as good as it should be.....
The Tortellini main course was so oversalted it was beyond eating. The sauce it was served in was watery and tasted only of salt.
6 toretellini in a £12.95 main course is simply not competitive hence only 5 tables taken up at the peak of lunch hour.
The only saving grace was the obviously seasonal and extremely fresh asparagus.
Management in no way attentive and considering there were only 5 tables on it took 10 minutes to get the attention of the staff or management.
This establishment is cleverly marketed and fitted to look like a stand alone, independant & authentic bistro but sadly the menu and staff training allude to a mass chain mentality.
Living Ventures need to take a look at overhauling this part of their offering as it will utlimately succumb to better offerings from the likes of piccolinos, croma and the ever expanding san carlo operation.
I really wish it was better but I wont be returning.
The fact that they were pushing their free loyalty card to anyone attending giving 40% off the whole menu 5 days a week told me plenty. If I was the part of the management I would instead teach the chefs how to season basic food and offer rustic and well prepared grub.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am extremley sorry that your visit was not up to our usual standard. We work hard in training all of our team to deliver high standards of service to all our guests.
We want everyone to leave our Restaurant happy with their experience and I dismayed that this was not the case.
I would like to discuss your comments further if you could please contact me on my personal email milesroberts@gustorestaurants.uk.com or 0161 455 8209

Manchester, United Kingdom
“How not to win friends and influence customers to return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This restaurant has excellent staff, hard working courteous and efficient. The food is of the same consistent standard too. Sadly the same cannot be said of the Management team or those greeting you at the door. It's always as though they don't want you to dine there, and if you haven't booked then one is left feeling as though you're a naughty school child and inconveniencing the team greatly by pitching up unannounced. Avoid the weekends in particular...the door team patrol the restaurant monitoring where you're at in your consumption of food and drink as they want the table cleared and re-booked. Subtlety is not their middle name. I was appalled to catch the General Manager pointing at our table and ordering the waiter to get us cleared up and out ASAP.
After spending £60 per head (x 3 covers) this is totally unacceptable.

Oh and as for a 'good night, thank you for coming, hope to see you again soon' -forget it! They're even more dismissive of you on the way out as they are on the way in i.e. totally ignore you. A place where the sales targets appear to come before good manners let alone the usual standards one experiences at most other restaurants. This place is probably only successful because of its serving and food staff, and because of the lack of competition on the Didsbury high street.

The Directors of this company need to teach their management teams some basic meet and greet skills.

• Visited June 2014
LivingVentures, Manager at Gusto Didsbury, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that there are aspects of your visit you did not enjoy. We work hard to deliver high standards of service to ensure that all our guests leave happy in all of our Restaurants. I would like to investigate this further with you .

If you could contact me on my personal email simoneannette@livingventures.com or my mobile 07917187 275

Simone Annette