“Excellent Food, Fun & Friendly Staff”
Review of Shahenshah Restaurant - CLOSED

Shahenshah Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Rusholme
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Not long just got back from Shahenshah Restaurant In Rusholme ( Curry Mile ) Me and my girlfriend had a lovely meal here. First time my girlfriend had eaten In Rusholmes curry mile, as she's from Sheffield and never been before for a meal. We thought we would try Shahenshah Restaurant and wow was we Impressed it was by far the best curry we had had In age's. We was really glad we picked this place to eat as the food was delicious and great choice of currys and the staff were fun and friendly, Infact the owner/manager was so funny and friendly had a right laugh with him, He had a great sense of humour and good banter from him too. The restaurant is a little bit run down, the seats were tired and a little ripped in parts and the place looks very well used, however the food was perfect and service was great. we had, Poppadoms with chutneys, chicken pakora, onion bhaji's, Chicken Tikka Masala, Lamb Katura ( nice sweet curry with oranges ) mmm all the food was nice and we also had nan breads that were tasty too. Food here isn't cheap, but well worth the money as I would say its extra special the food here. Check this place out Indeed....

3  Thank NorthernExplorerHere

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I went with some friends from work as somebody got hold of some vouchers which gave us poppadoms, starter, main, rice and naan for £7.50 each. Can't argue with that.

At such a price, I wasn't expecting too much. To be fair though, it was very good. We had a platter of onion bahjis and meat samosas to start. All fresh and tasty. I has a house speciality for main, the Haleem. It was a bit short on lamb but was nice enough. We shared a veggie dish which absolutely stole the show, the aloo chana. Absolutely superb it was.

I would go back if in Rusholme, not sure I'd make the effort to go there especially.

2  Thank George W
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Went Sunday Evening 30.06.13 after buying a deal on Wowcher.
Initial confusion over whether they were still accepting voucher with the waiter which was quickly resolved by the large friendly owner/manager.
Instantly brought popadoms and chutneys, can't go wrong there.
Starters we had shish kebabs and onion bhajis, very nice again can't really go wrong there either.
Main i had chicken tikka sashlik with madras sauce, my partner she had a charoba (not spelt right) off the chefs specials. Both dishes were superb cannot fault at all. Owner was very friendly and chatty. Overall food was excellent and would definitely recommend and be going again.

Downside---note to owners..... Restaurant is in desperate need of a facelift, redocoration, replace worn carpet on stairs and cut back all the expanding foam that runs round the skirting boards and pipework (box them in)

2  Thank Stuart S
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We've been visiting Rusholme for many years, and this was the first time I didn't enjoy my meal. We were hustled in by the offer of a good deal. The place was nearly empty. The supposedly included starters of pickles and poppadums were pretty good, normal for Rusholme, but our main dishes were very poor. My Korma was passable, but not particularly tasty, but my wife's dish was a vague curry sauce with heaps of undissolved sugar which crunched! She could hardly eat any. To top this they brought us a bill for everything priced separately and not the deal we had been offered. We argued and managed to get the deal plus our drinks which apparently were not in the free drinks meal deal, but this was still not a reasonable price! How were we to know that, they had such poor service. It seems this restaurant is going down hill fast as previous reviews are positive. Just beware of being hustled into a eatery in Rusholme, and avoid this place unless you hear it has improved.

1  Thank captain_jcab
Reviewed 23 June 2013

To begin with, the owner who greeted us was very friendly (he was the whole time to be fair, but it doesn't make up for everything else) and we were seated immediately, it was downhill from here, I have never encountered such unbelievablely rude, horrific service in my life, and we eat out a lot! Poppadoms and pickles were slammed in front of us immediately (we didn't order them, assumed they were on the house, but no they were on the bill) then our first waiter came over to get our drinks, he immediately had some kind of problem with us, absolutely no manners or even the slightest bit of niceness towards any of us, we asked what they had as there wasn't a drinks menu and he sharply barked 'kingfisher, cobra' so...... The menu looked great, loads on offer, the owner even came and said they can adjust anything to what we want, we just have to ask etc etc.... Then the second waiter came over to clever our plates from the pickles n things, we passed all our plates down to him, they were snatched off us and no thank you or again, any politeness, by this point I was already very close to walking out. Then the first waiter was back to take our order, he didn't even sound like he was listening properly, I'm suprised he got the right order to us he was so disinterested andkept interrupting everyone when they were telling their order... so unbelievablely rude, this rudeness and blatant disrespect continued the entire time we were in there, we were completely ignored when asking for another knife & fork, and for another drink, and when the waiter came to clear our final plates, he did this leaned over me, smashing the plates on top of one another literally right in my face, and he barged past our chairs the entire time knocking us and no apology, that last point sounds petty but on top of everything else it was highly annoying. Words cannot even describe how appalling the service was in this place, I could not believe it. This is even before I mention the food, which was terrible, bland, tasteless, my partner left all of his, he ordered the lamb chaslik sizzler, the lamb was foul, pretty sure it was either off or, not lamb! The vindaloo which 2 of us had (asked if it could be 'nice & hot') was bland, tasteless, and very mild. Absolute rubbish. And expensive, then the waiter stood over us as we were trying to figure out how on earth the bill was so much (which was impossible because it was unreadable) then stood over us counting out the money. Didn't say thank you, ans didn't bring us our change, which he 100% would not have been left as a tip! I will never ever visit here again, I will never let anyone I know visit here either, it was a horrible experience from start to finish. And I've even skipped past parts in this review cuz it would be way too long. How they ever have any customers (or should I say, returning customers) I do not know. I was too angry and in shock to say much to the owner that night, I wanted to get out (and eat something else as I'd left mine) as soon as possible. But I do look forward to the next time I'm walking past and the owner tries to beckon us in and tell us how they are the best curry house in manchester...

2  Thank Miss_Lola_1986