“Fantastic honeymoon - clubbing package”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Just got back from Velvet today. We had a fantastic 2 day stay. Lovely staff, very attentive.

Really comfortable and clean room, slept really soundly. Well stocked bathroom with high quality toiletries, fresh towels. The bathroom has automatic blue lights which come on when you walk in so you can see where you're going easily and not wake up fully like you would if you put the main light on - nice feature, wish we had it at home!

Great location. We live in Manchester anyway, so found it easy to get around. Canal Street has loads of great bars but we didn't experience them on this occasion as wanted to rest after the wedding. The hotel is 5 mins from Piccadilly train station, bus station, coach station, loads to see and do close by.

Well-stocked minibar and reasonably priced (we don't have a lot of money so this was welcome). Clubbing package is cheaper as it's on the first floor where it is noisier than other rooms, but, we had no problems getting to sleep as the bar downstairs closes around 12.30pm so it was nice and quiet.

Breakfast was included with the package and was really good both days.

Very good value for money, especially this package where you get a free bottle of bubbly. Excellent communication between hotel staff eg. Mohammed (night receptionist) dealt with us when we arrived and made a note to say we'd have bubbly the next night as we were too tired to have it when we arrived late. Also, more crucially, our laptop broke with all our music on it at the wedding reception, so they let us send a relative (with permission) to pick up our iPod to save the day with the music.

Liked best - staff
Liked least - felt sad to leave! Will definitely be coming back, maybe for our one year anniversary!

Laura and Steve x

Room Tip: Clubbing package for cheaper rate

Dear Laura and Steve,

Many congratulations on your wedding and we are so glad that we helped you add to your fantastic wedding memories.

I was especially glad to read that our staff made your stay special and we are very lucky to have a great team who genuinely are happy to help.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

I had booked the hotel for 2 nights for my girlfriend's birthday.
We arrived 2 hours early and the room wasn't ready. However, the receptionist took our bags and took my telephone number. She called us to let us know the room was ready which was a really nice touch.
When we checked in, we were pleased to find our bags had already been taken to our room. The receptionist then took us up to show the room.
The room has an AMAZING bed and a double width bath which easily accomodates 2 adults lying side by side. The decor is dark and classy (think gentleman's club). Perfect for a romantic break.
The hotel is on Canal Street, but the double glazing meant we heard no street noise and, with excellent air conditioning, we did not need to open the windows.
I recently stayed in a 4* hotel in Leeds for work and it was absolutely nowhere near the standard of this hotel. I loved it and my girlfriend found it exceeded any hotel she'd stayed in before.
The only thing which could be added (and this is TINY and just a note in case the hotel's owners read these reviews) is somewhere to hang coats. It rained when we were there so I didn't want to hang wet jackets in the wardrobe. So a few pegs by the door would have been handy.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bath! Room 24 has one.

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you loved your room and that one has a particularly rich, decadent feel to it.

Just to let you know, yes we read and dissect each and every review, and thanks for your suggestion. As a result we will be getting some coat hooks into the rooms now. What to do with a wet coat had not occured to us despite being in rainy Manchester! So we are glad you pointed it out.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Fantastic hotel, room was gorgeous, and the bath fantastic. Spent our first two nights as a wedded couple there. Staff were more than helpful, Mohamed was great!!! missed breakfast first morning, but second morning food was almost perfect (eggs a little over cooked), but nothing could spoil our stay. Perfect location. would stay there again. Only problem, wifi didn't work

Reviewed 22 May 2011

I found Velvet here on Trip Advisor and stayed with them for a mid week conference. The central location was perfect for me. I also wanted to stay somewhere with a bit of soul and the place certainly had that. Being on canal st meant that even though it was Monday night, I had somewhere really lovely with a bit of life to entertain work colleagues. Things also calmed down at a decent time so that when I did need to sleep that wasnt a problem. I would imagine that this is probably NOT the case at the weekend though!
The room was spacious and decadently decorated and there were lovely little touches like a turn down service and a welcome tray... and (my favourite) a rubber duck on the towels in the bathroom. The restaurant and bar downstairs are both fitted out in the same sort of style and the menus were great.
The service was fantastic. Really friendly guys on reception and nothing was too much trouble.
Only bug bears - steep stairs on the way in.. bit tricky with luggage, although they did offer to carry it for me! And also, I asked for a quiet room and was placed close to reception so heard quite a bit of noise early in the morning as people were checking out.
Apart from that, lovely. I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a cute and quirky boutique hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Our recent stay here was based almost exclusively on the glowing reports of my fellow TripAdvisor contributors, and for the first time ever we could not see where the enthusiasm comes from.
The rooms themselves (2 balcony rooms, 1 suite) were acceptable, but hardly luxury. Yes, they were clean, tidy and not too old, but that's as it should be, surely.
A key point when booking was the wifi, so it was galling to have the service unavailable for most of the 2 nights stay. The reception desk was also unattended for long periods , including one lengthy and fruitless wait for a duplicate key. Delivery men with fresh flowers came and went, but not a sign of staff.
Finally, despite what the management will tell you, noise from street bars is an issue, even in the top floor suites.
I certainly would not stay here again and could not in all conscience recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Richard D

Dear Guest,

I am sorry we did not turn out to be what you expected. We are a small, privately owned hotel with it's own personality and therefore we may not be a perfect fit for everybody.

We did indeed have an intermittent problem with wi-fi. We provide wi-fi for our guests free of charge and occasionally, as with all things technical, it doesn't always work. we got our IT guys onto it straight away and it was sorted as soon as they could.

Can I say that "management" has never denied that there may be external noise, we are in a 24hr city after all, but noise is such a subjective issue as you can see from other recent reviews.

Reviewed 11 May 2011

Hi

I originally stayed at Velvet a couple of years ago and gave it a glowing praise. After having stayed at the weekend again everything was pretty much perfect. As other reviewers have mentioned it's the little touches that make it so from being shown to your room, the tea and biscuits upon arrival, a complimentary drinks voucher, the turn down of the room later with chocolates and even the magazines in the room. The service just asks for you to return and I definitely will. I've stayed in most decent hotels in Manchester and Velvet definitely is among the best and I'd say among the best anywhere I've stayed. It's just a lovely stay so thanks again to the staff and owners and again I'LL BE BACK.

Reviewed 8 May 2011

I stayed at the Velvet for two nights during the easter weekend. The guy at the reception was very friendly, however, the rest of the staff was disappointing. The Suite we had was fashionable but somewhat run down. Breakfast buffet (not included in our rate) was disappointing and way too expensive. The worst of all was that the music of the club downstairs in the same building of the hotel "drummed" you through the night - even in the Suite at the top of the building! Don't get me wrong - it was good music and the club is great. However, if you want some sleep - just forget it!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Can I ask all guests to read this and the previous review when considering noise issues.
This guest stayed at the top of the building, 4 floors above the bar and found it noisy, and the previous guest was on the floor directly above the bar and they slept well!