“Loved it! Great service!”
Review of Velvet Hotel

Velvet Hotel
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My partner and I booked the Clubbing Package and stayed in Room 23. Our package, at a reduced rate, included breakfast, late checkout and a bottle of champagne.

I was impressed with:

- Friendliness of the hotel reception staff
- Service @ Reception from the Night Manager - he recommended a fantastic Indian restaurant to us, and was incredibly patient with all our queries.
- Very well priced minibar, loved the tuckbox too.
- Little touches like the DVD rental library, the turndown service, the welcome tray, REN cosmetics - gorgeous!
- The bed was VERY comfortable - nice pillows too.
- The way the hotel is designed to make you feel as though you are staying as a houseguest in someone's very swanky home.
- That someone went to find my necklace that I had misplaced, after we had checked out, and they found it for me - very good service!
- The breakfast was very good - try their Eggs Benedict - they are awesome!

The room itself was very nice. The decor is lovely and very individual. There could have been better lighting for doing makeup in the bathroom and I noticed the lack of coathooks for wet coats (it was raining), but those were minor niggles. Yes, there was noise from the bar, but as we were aware of this beforehand it didn't bother us at all. The bar closed at 2 am and we didn't really notice a lot of noise after that.

All in all, I loved this hotel and would gladly stay again, and pay full price for our room next time. I have never stayed in any hotel in Europe that has this much attention to customer satisfaction. Full marks to Velvet!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
VelvetHotel, Manager at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Guest,

What a lovely review, thankyou so much for your kind words and we are so glad you had a great time.
Thanks for pointing out the lack of coat hooks, another guest also mentioned it recently and as a result we will be putting coat hooks into the rooms.

Mark Cain

Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed 8 June 2011

I stayed at Velvet Hotel on a Monday night for a business trip. I was a bit surprised when I arrived that there was a short flight of stairs before reaching reception - but it's great the hotel has a separate entrance from the Bar and Restaurant. There is a lift to the rooms once you're at reception.

The service was absolutely fantastic - even though I was on a business trip I felt completely spoiled. After checking in I was shown to my room - WOW! Absolutely beautiful, incredibly high ceilings, really opulent decor without being too much. Exposed walls, lovely wardrobes, and a gorgeous bathroom. It's the little things like having a water glass, a wine glass and a tumbler all on a nicely presented tray. A few minutes after I arrived I received a 'welcome tray' with fresh milk, ice and slices of lemon and lime!

I forgot my toothpaste and some was brought up straight away - all in all amazing service. I ordered room service which was nice - if I was being picky it's not as good as a Malmaison meal I'd had on a previous trip to manchester but it was quick to arrive and tasty with a great menu. They have a night time menu as well which is a brilliant touch.

The only thing is that there was street noise when I arrived - I was on the first floor overlooking Canal Street. That was okay but later on there was loud drum and bass music which I assumed was coming from the street. I rang reception about half past midnight to ask how long it might go on for - Mohammed said that he'd ask them to turn it down which I thought was excellent service. Eventually I did manage to get to sleep - but it was very loud and didn't get turned down instantly. In the morning they mentioned that it must have been one of the other rooms so I guess it was bad luck. I would definitely return for a social trip with my husband or friends but I was put off returning for business because of the disruption to sleep.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This hotel is nice, comfortable with hints of luxury. We travel a lot with work and stay in a range of hotels from budget through to luxury suite hotels. Manchester is pretty costly once your looking at staying in the better hotels in the city. This hotel is very nice, but so it should be given the cost. We had some slight niggles, when our room was turned down we didn't get the ice bucket refilled, as stated on the pillow note left. Nor were the tea and chocolate replaced after we'd had a drink following our arrival. In fact the room servicing was poor in our view.
Another irritating example of poor service was when a housekeeper entered a lift befor us as guests with her trolley!!
That said the reception staff were very good indeed. We found them most helpful, polite and friendly indeed.
The bar is great and we met friends for cocktails, the only irriation was that when we were getting up to leave the bar man (who clearly knew we were guests) shot over to ask us to settle our bill, one of our party was already at the bar attending to this. i do appreciate they must get runners but there were 7 of us going no where very fast and it was just rude to be honest.
Overall this is a nice hotel but lacks attention to small details that could make it a really great hotel, like decent housekeeping, which was slack at best.
Breakfast is nice, it would be nice to see fruit salad etc covered to protect it from the odd fly who passes by, given the standard of hotel. Good menu to choose from which was really appreciated.
I booked this hotel after seeing the reviews on tripadvisor, and would caution that it is nice but I think perhaps people may be getting carried away, its not outstanding as hotels go given the rates charged and I think I will defer to Malmaison in future same standards slightly better value. Good furniture is no repalcement for good service and attention to detail.
The location is not an issue for us and actually we didn't find the noise from below problematic, Canal Street is well known don't stay if this sort of environment is an issue for you, for us it was no problem at all. Great location for exploreing the city, china town is a short walk as is the train station.

Room Tip: check web and request a room you like
1  Thank sharon3001
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Guest,

Thankyou for taking the time to review us. I would like to address two issues with you.

Our barman was perfectly correct to ensure that the bill was settled. Whilst he would have acknowledged you as being hotel guests, it is not inconceivable that you may have proceeded to settle for your own personal drinks only. Unfortunately when you know you are honest yourself it is hard to imagine that others may not be so. We would never have intended to offend.

With regards to housekeeping. Our turndown housekeeper should indeed, as stated, have refreshed your ice and teas and coffees. I am sorry we did not do as we said we had. I have spoken to housekeeping about this.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I love staying in Velvet, the rooms are all fabulous and the service is great!
Very expensive but worth the extra!!

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank MK_travelbug
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Just got back from Velvet today. We had a fantastic 2 day stay. Lovely staff, very attentive.

Really comfortable and clean room, slept really soundly. Well stocked bathroom with high quality toiletries, fresh towels. The bathroom has automatic blue lights which come on when you walk in so you can see where you're going easily and not wake up fully like you would if you put the main light on - nice feature, wish we had it at home!

Great location. We live in Manchester anyway, so found it easy to get around. Canal Street has loads of great bars but we didn't experience them on this occasion as wanted to rest after the wedding. The hotel is 5 mins from Piccadilly train station, bus station, coach station, loads to see and do close by.

Well-stocked minibar and reasonably priced (we don't have a lot of money so this was welcome). Clubbing package is cheaper as it's on the first floor where it is noisier than other rooms, but, we had no problems getting to sleep as the bar downstairs closes around 12.30pm so it was nice and quiet.

Breakfast was included with the package and was really good both days.

Very good value for money, especially this package where you get a free bottle of bubbly. Excellent communication between hotel staff eg. Mohammed (night receptionist) dealt with us when we arrived and made a note to say we'd have bubbly the next night as we were too tired to have it when we arrived late. Also, more crucially, our laptop broke with all our music on it at the wedding reception, so they let us send a relative (with permission) to pick up our iPod to save the day with the music.

Liked best - staff
Liked least - felt sad to leave! Will definitely be coming back, maybe for our one year anniversary!

Laura and Steve x

Room Tip: Clubbing package for cheaper rate
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Dear Laura and Steve,

Many congratulations on your wedding and we are so glad that we helped you add to your fantastic wedding memories.

I was especially glad to read that our staff made your stay special and we are very lucky to have a great team who genuinely are happy to help.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

I had booked the hotel for 2 nights for my girlfriend's birthday.
We arrived 2 hours early and the room wasn't ready. However, the receptionist took our bags and took my telephone number. She called us to let us know the room was ready which was a really nice touch.
When we checked in, we were pleased to find our bags had already been taken to our room. The receptionist then took us up to show the room.
The room has an AMAZING bed and a double width bath which easily accomodates 2 adults lying side by side. The decor is dark and classy (think gentleman's club). Perfect for a romantic break.
The hotel is on Canal Street, but the double glazing meant we heard no street noise and, with excellent air conditioning, we did not need to open the windows.
I recently stayed in a 4* hotel in Leeds for work and it was absolutely nowhere near the standard of this hotel. I loved it and my girlfriend found it exceeded any hotel she'd stayed in before.
The only thing which could be added (and this is TINY and just a note in case the hotel's owners read these reviews) is somewhere to hang coats. It rained when we were there so I didn't want to hang wet jackets in the wardrobe. So a few pegs by the door would have been handy.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bath! Room 24 has one.

Dear Guest,

I'm glad you loved your room and that one has a particularly rich, decadent feel to it.

Just to let you know, yes we read and dissect each and every review, and thanks for your suggestion. As a result we will be getting some coat hooks into the rooms now. What to do with a wet coat had not occured to us despite being in rainy Manchester! So we are glad you pointed it out.

Reviewed 24 May 2011

Fantastic hotel, room was gorgeous, and the bath fantastic. Spent our first two nights as a wedded couple there. Staff were more than helpful, Mohamed was great!!! missed breakfast first morning, but second morning food was almost perfect (eggs a little over cooked), but nothing could spoil our stay. Perfect location. would stay there again. Only problem, wifi didn't work