“Truly Magnificent”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Swansea
“Truly Magnificent”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My partner and I have stayed in Manchester quite a few times over the last few years and always wanted to stay in Velvet Hotel but always assumed it was out of our price bracket.

That's all I can say after staying here is I don't care if I have to break the piggy bank again I will not stay anywhere else in Manchester. The room was everything I expected it to be and more as was the hotel as a whole. The attention to detail in the hotel is what makes the hotel truly special, from the high end toiletries provided in the bathrooms to simple things such as putting a summary of the weather forecast in the lifts. As mentioned by other reviewers the welcoming tea/coffee facilities provided in the room were far higher quality than I had experienced in other hotels. We had breakfast included which was really lovely and relaxed with plenty of choice.

We have eaten in the restaurant a few times and the food has always been of a high standard. The bar is well stocked and has a great range of cocktails in the menu although these are a little on the pricey side (but I understand that there is a happy hour that we managed to miss) but hey, I believe that you pay for quality and this hotel is big on quality.

Finally, what stands out for this hotel above anything else is the staff and the customer service that they provide. We were greeted every morning (and evening) with a friendly hello and nothing was ever too much for the reception staff. We will definitely stay at Velvet again.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Northampton
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Location really can't be faulted, right in the heart of the action on canal street. Staff were very friendly and the room service breakfast was so big we couldn't finish it all. We were in the penthouse suite (405). Bathroom was fabulous, and the split level bedroom (with separate ll) was lovely. The room had 3 coat hooks, one of which came away in my hand. There was also a huge leather sofa, really comfortable but very grubby/worn in places. Small things you may think - but considering that this suite costs £299 for one night, I really think its fair to expect the highest quality furnishing and maintenance for this price. Overall a great stay and the location has increased my rating, the management should however repair and replace their furnishings more often!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
scarborough
Reviewed 10 April 2012

What a great location if your in manchester its not cheap but they do push the boat out for you here, On arrival we got a very nice bottle of bubbly,on ice and before that coffee, what a nice touch. Have a drink in there bar, its a great place to finish the night off with ,,, Breakfast is first class food, Back to the room wow, very romantic. please try it here compair'd to other hotels in the city this place is a must ,, yes we will be going back ,

Room Tip: We had Room 16
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poshroom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have now stayed at Velevet a number of times and it never disapoints. The rooms are unique and querky, well furnished and very comfortable. The staff are friendly, accomodating and room service is always very swift. The bar and restaurant are great and good value. If you want a fun time and like stylish hotels, stay at Velvet!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was my first visit to The Velvet, and based almost entirely on the fantastic reputation and world-of-mouth this place has. Booking was simple and straight forward and I arrived late afternoon to be shown personally to my room. A few minutes later, the mini-bar was re-stocked and ice and treats provided.

The room itself (a balcony king) was a little smaller than the photos suggest, and the balcony is actually part of one long terraced balcony shared with the other balcony rooms, privacy provided by immovable shutters that don't entirely block the view of other residents, should the occupants of both rooms be looking over the balcony at the same time.

That said, the room was gorgeous, especially the bathroom which was clean, modern and spacious. In a five star hotel, I'd expect a separation between the toilet and shower area but it was roomy enough to be fine here.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the room itself but the highlights were the iPod dock, good entertainment system, reasonably priced mini-bar and heater/lighting on the balcony itself. The noise wasn't noticeable and there was definite sense of luxury to the place. It was impressive.

If I have one semi-major criticism, it surrounds the way payment was taken. On arrival at the hotel, pre-authorisation was sought from my card for the price of the room plus £50. It was explained well and there was no problem with that. However, on check out, the cost of the room (plus mini-bar purchases) were taken as a second charge to my card and not as part of the original funds reserved on check-in. That essentially more than doubles the cost of the room in the short term, until the reserved funds are released back into my account. That wasn't appropriately explained, and neither is such a practice what I'd expect. The room charge should be deducted from the reserved funds and not taken as a duplicate transaction. I am still waiting for the £199 which was reserved four days ago to come back into my account. Don't take this as a major criticism of the hotel - it's not, but I'd be curious to hear management feedback regarding this issue as the hotel itself - although lovely - isn't cheap and this adds considerably expense on a short term basis.

Aside from that, this was an excellent stay and I'd be happy to consider Velvet for my next stopover in Manchester.

Room Tip: The greater the expense, the higher and therefore quieter the room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kalifire
Portland, OR
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed for one night; my husband and I had a king balcony and my son a regular king. I found the rooms on the small side (smaller than the rooms we had in London a couple of nights before). Balcony kings feel more spacious because of glass doors looking out, and the little balcony was very pleasant on the lovely spring day we had. Downside of location on the canal is noise from the bars further down; revelry went on till about 2 am.

Service was pleasant; I ordered room service and the pizza was delivered very promptly and was tasty. Plates would have been appreciated-instead, was just delivered in a box. In general I wouldn't rave about the hotel as others have, but since I always prefer boutique hotels to corporate ones, no regrets.

• Stayed March 2012
London
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Nice hotel, the rooms are very well done and is not like your bog standard hotel room, it has character and charm. The bathroom was great, large and a lovely shower but it did smell a bit damp and some of the tiles were looking a bit black in the grout. The hotel overall is very nice, it is in a old building overlooking the canal. This is good and bad as the sound proofing in the room is not great so you do hear what your side and upstairs neighbours are up to. I stayed for just one night so was fine just for that. Overall good but a few small let-downs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business