“Absolutely brilliant hotel. Staff are so good at making you feel welcome.”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #10 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant hotel. Staff are so good at making you feel welcome.”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

When I first arrived we had problems finding a car park but I nipped in they gave us discount at a car park near by. The welcome tray is very good with biscuits and milk we left it out and when we came back they had put it in the fidge and tidy our room for us..
They also gave us a free upgrade to a better room at still the same price.
When we went for breakfast the women in the restaurant wasn't very pleasant and she looked miserable and had no manners that was the only down side to our stay. We should have had room service, next time we stay we are :)

• Stayed February 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Newcastle
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Fully agree with the majority of the reviews on TA - the service was exceptional, the room was stunning and the attention to detail made us feel truly special during our stay.

We were a little aprehensive when booking as due to being a last minute decision the only room available was directly above the bar (room 14) and a few negative comments have been made regarding the levels of noise here. Personally though this didn't prove to be an issue for us - yes you can here the bass from the music below, and yes on the Saturday night this did go on until 2am, however we managed to quite happily watch a movie over it and after this time you could have heard a pin drop in our room. They clearly state there is a certain level of noise up-front and not only offer a discounted rate because of it but also deliver a bottle of fizz on arrival and provide an optional late check-out on departure (more than necessary in our opinion). If you're a light sleeper looking to get an early night over the weekend then another room may be more appropriate, but we found the noise to be better than expected considering the hotel's location (and some of the other reviews) and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

2 Thank Kris G
Fenstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I picked this hotel on the strength of its Trip Advisor ranking. Clearly it had a lot to live up to and it delivered. This not the best hotel I have stayed in but it is pretty close. Everything worked, with lots of nice touches, like fresh fruit, milk and ice with the turn down service. Rooms are a good size and I didn’t have one of the fabulous suites. Decor is great, trendy without being over the top. Location is lively, but I did not hear a thing outside thanks to superior glazing. Restaurant and bar are nice areas and the food was first class without being over priced. All the staff were friendly and helpful – you felt as if you mattered. I would come back for both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Try and avoid one on the same level as reception
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NigelFerrier
Kelowna, B.C.
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I had read on TripAdvisor that the Velvet was rated #3 in Manchester and convinced my husband we should give it a go. We were both SO pleased with our choice. I had read that parking was easily accessible, and it was. I had also read that complimentary tea arrived within moments of arrival, and it did and what a welcome treat after the long flight from Canada! We ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and both meals were good. The bathroom was clean and newly renovated, which was much appreciated.

My only negative comment would be that the chaise longue and the blanket at the foot of the bed seemed to be slightly soiled, so if this type of thing is bothersome to you, you may want to be wary. It was not enough to alter my good feelings about our stay, but I know some people are a little sketchy about that. That said, the sheet linens were pristine and of very nice quality and we slept very well in the comfortable bed.

Being right next to the canal, we would love to stay there in warmer weather as there are tables and chairs set up along many restaurants and it seems it would be a great atmosphere. We loved being in the Gay District as it has a warm, inviting and safe vibe to it. The staff at the Velvet were very kind and helpful and even offered to help us take our bags back to our car at the car park upon checkout.

We would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Went to Manchester with girlfriend to watch Phantom at the Opera House. T.A gave the Velvet as #1 hotel in Manchester and how right they are. I will never stay anywhere else truly exquisite room, food, service. Yes it's in the centre of the Gay Village/Canal St which only added to the ambience, experience and evening. Cheers T.A came up trumps again.

• Stayed March 2012
Swansea
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My partner and I have stayed in Manchester quite a few times over the last few years and always wanted to stay in Velvet Hotel but always assumed it was out of our price bracket.

That's all I can say after staying here is I don't care if I have to break the piggy bank again I will not stay anywhere else in Manchester. The room was everything I expected it to be and more as was the hotel as a whole. The attention to detail in the hotel is what makes the hotel truly special, from the high end toiletries provided in the bathrooms to simple things such as putting a summary of the weather forecast in the lifts. As mentioned by other reviewers the welcoming tea/coffee facilities provided in the room were far higher quality than I had experienced in other hotels. We had breakfast included which was really lovely and relaxed with plenty of choice.

We have eaten in the restaurant a few times and the food has always been of a high standard. The bar is well stocked and has a great range of cocktails in the menu although these are a little on the pricey side (but I understand that there is a happy hour that we managed to miss) but hey, I believe that you pay for quality and this hotel is big on quality.

Finally, what stands out for this hotel above anything else is the staff and the customer service that they provide. We were greeted every morning (and evening) with a friendly hello and nothing was ever too much for the reception staff. We will definitely stay at Velvet again.

• Stayed April 2012
Northampton
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Location really can't be faulted, right in the heart of the action on canal street. Staff were very friendly and the room service breakfast was so big we couldn't finish it all. We were in the penthouse suite (405). Bathroom was fabulous, and the split level bedroom (with separate ll) was lovely. The room had 3 coat hooks, one of which came away in my hand. There was also a huge leather sofa, really comfortable but very grubby/worn in places. Small things you may think - but considering that this suite costs £299 for one night, I really think its fair to expect the highest quality furnishing and maintenance for this price. Overall a great stay and the location has increased my rating, the management should however repair and replace their furnishings more often!