“Best hotel i've ever stayed in!!”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is honestly the best hotel ive ever stayed in! The decor in the whole hotel is beautiful but the rooms are incredible!! The staff on reception are really friendly and helpful. Lots of little nice touches make this hotel stand out, from the tea and biscuits when you arrive to your room, the turndown service and chocolate on your pillow at night, the nice toiletries in the bathroom, I could go on! The cocktails in the bar are gorgeous too, try the glitterball, its so very velvet! The hotel restaurant is really nice. We ate there at night and the meal was gorgeous. The breakfast is the best i've had in a hotel so make sure you leave time for brekkie if you stay here. There isn't a bad word I can say about this hotel I've stayed here twice now and I will not stay anywhere else when I come to Manchester. Yeah it might be more expensive than other hotels, but thats because other hotels don't even come close to Velvet!!

Room Tip: Look at the pictures on Velvet website and pick which one you like, if you request it they will try...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Stayed here recently during a business trip and had a really enjoyable stay. Booked a Suite as they had limited availability on a late booking and found it to be well equipped with everything you need and more so price is well worth it if you want to treat yourself. Staff were friendly and very helpful throughout the whole process. The only slight problem I had was that I found the Internet download to be a little slow all evening but eh sometimes you need to relax and the room let you do that.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Better than I was expecting, a very short walk from the station. The room was bigger than a regular hotel with a large very comfy bed. The receptionist bought up a welcome tray with ice and some biscuits. decent bathroom with an absolutely huge bath. Food in the restaurant was excellent and service was spot on.
Small touches like fresh milk in the mini bar, proper coffee making facilities, and evening turn down with after dinner mint chocolates and a nice bathrobe make all the difference.
Although this was a business trip I would certainly return for a romantic weekend stay. My only negative point would be that the blinds on the windows did not block out all the early morning light.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2012

Friendly staff, lovely room, good food, very comfortable. Don't use the back entrance if you can help it, the surrounding area is unpleasant, apparently Manchester Council does not clean the streets any longer. Use he front entrance in Canal Street

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My partner and I stayed this Sunday evening for a last minute night away as had been my birthday. When we arrived (Around 1PM) the room wasnt available as they had some late check outs and check-in wasnt until 3PM. However as we wanted to shop we were happy to leave our luggage and after being shown places to go on a map provided for us went into Manchester.
On our return at around 6PM we were shown our room (number 21 red room very very nice) and our luggage had been taken up for us, fantastic. we were offered a hot drink and were also given 2 glasses of champagne (Happy Birthday me ;) ), a lovely and very touching gesture.
The room was lovely and the bed to die for (we really want to know what type of mattress it was as was so so comfortable) a huge queen size wooden and leather one, gorgeous!
Very clean! Great upto date mod cons, DVD player, docking station, free view flat screen.
The bathroom was lovely with blue night lights, lovely touches with the V duck, cotton wool etc all extras that make your stay comfortable and different to large branded hotels.
We were a little cold but later discovered that the heating / ac worked with bathroom light on...
It was quite noisy from the street and the room above has a squeeky floor board but they didnt spoil our stay at all we absolutely loved it.
This hotel may not be for everyone, it is in the heart of all of the gay bars and clubs. It has a lovely avenue of lit up trees at night by the canal.
We didnt eat in the restaurant however the bar area was nice with chandeliers and dark surroundings modern and chic. The toilets in the bar werent as clean as the hotel ones and a little worn.
Very helpful, friednly and welcoming staff here and we will definately be staying again.
Recommend use of NCP car park as get a discount at hotel. Once stayed you also get an e mail for a discounted next stay, great for return business!!!!
Will be trying the restaurant next time. Thanks and well done fantastic hotel and service to match!!!

Room Tip: Room 21 red theme double (although bed a queen size and uba comfortable). Along with above mentioned...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stopped at Velvet on our return from Mauritius. The hotel is as exactly as expected and more. Fresh milk and biscuits delivered to the room, fluffy good quality towels, good selection of DVDs behind reception. Nothing was to much trouble from the moment we arrived and shown to our room, taxis ordered for us, room service and storing our luggage on check out.

They certainly do go the extra mile and no wonder they are no1 on trip advisor! Well deserved.

Thanks again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Having visited and reviewed the restaurant before I had the chance to stay at Velvet. I live in Manchester but had a friend coming up so I decided to treat my self.

What a place, from the moment we arrived and checked in with Ricky everything was 5 star! Yes I know it's a 4 star, but they went out of that box!

The room was exquisite and have all the amenities you would need. DVD player, flat screen tv, I pod docking station, tea making facilities, iron! They bough us the welcome tray, which includes fresh milk and biscuits and this was replenished on turndown! A good sign of a hotel!

The bed was super comfy and had a luxury mattress topper, I didn't want to get up. Good quality, spotless clean linen!

The location is right in the heart of the city, in the gay area. No noise could be heard from either outside or from the adjoining rooms, something which other reviewers have noted. I did have a few glasses of wine which may of helped slightly but People should do their research more. Stay in the country if you want peace and quiet!

Overal I would wholeheartly recommend this place. If you don't love it, there must be something wrong with you or your just plain boring!!

Love it!