“Lovely welcome”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed in one of the penthouse suites, 405, which is the middle of three at the top of the building. Great design (but some windows at suite ground level viewing would've been better) and fitting out.
All lovely amenities including very well equipped refreshments tray and fab bathroom products. Flat screen tv in both lounge and bedroom.
Great service and welcome at reception and with the lovely welcome tray.
You get discounted parking at Chorlton Street parking (we didn't realise that) on validation of your ticket.
Only downside...our room WAS nice and quiet at the back, until the people next door arrived and thought they were having an electronica house party for an hour. Fortunately they'd gone out when we returned but when trying to go asleep we could hear next door's TV. So, yes lovely heavy doors.....but thin walls?
Our iPads took ages to connect to the free wi-fi but when it eventually did it was stable.
I'd stay here again but choose my room perhaps?
Great staff here, very helpful and welcoming.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I enjoyed my stay very much in this lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Manchester and its gay village. I stayed in room 23 on a Tuesday night, so mid-week.

There were a few niggles which I will point out before I get to the great bits. First, internet speeds on the hotel's free wifi were up and down like a yo-yo. I don’t know if bandwidth is an issue, but it was quite frustrating as I kept getting the error message : “too many sessions open at one time, please shut other applications” – this when all I had open was Internet Explorer on my laptop. Second and sadly, the rainfall shower head on the ceiling in the bathroom was caked in limescale and, as a result, the water shot out at all angles, if at all. Upon sending feedback on this matter to the hotel, the general manager has informed me that they have since de-scaled the head. Third, the bathrobes were a little too small and I am medium-build.

However, on a much more positive note, I loved the warm welcome and hospitality tray (however the biscuits could have been nicer – not a fan of shop-bought ginger nuts and choc cookies...). I loved how they offer guests coffee in a cafetière in the room (excellent). The staff were incredibly friendly, especially the guy at night who checked me in. The breakfast was delicious. The hotel rooms have nice thick bedroom doors to keep the noises out (or in, if you prefer...). The location is fantastic. The rooms offer the best tuck box/mini bar selection I have ever seen and the TV the most channels. But, more importantly, the bed was truly wonderful with lovely linens which made for a great night’s sleep.

In all, my stay was great. I look forward to staying the Velvet again next time my travels take me to Manchester.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ascottowers
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here primarily because it was number one on Trip Advisor.
We stayed in Room 22, which was very nice indeed. I am not really bothered by noise but the room was quite, as it faced the back street. Other than than the odd drunken shout at 2am and the morning city coming to life at about 7am, it was pretty quiet.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and spoke to you in a normal conversational tone, as opposed to sounding like they were reading off a script.
The room was clean and airy, with a mini bar and a basket of payable treats. Price wise, not bad at all, which makes a plesant change. There were coffee and tea making facilities and biscuits were brought to the room, along with ice, shortly after we arrived.
It is clear that this hotel is dedicated to making your stay as lovely as possible.
The bar downstairs was not as lovely as the hotel and looked very dated and dare I say seedy but I appreciate that it is probably designed to look like this and I am just out of touch. My boss at work (who is gay) thinks this is the most fantastic bar in the world, so there you go!
The only reason I have not given it 5* is because there is a desk but no mirror on it for ladies to do either hair or make up.
Sure, you can do it in the bathroom but that's no good if the room is full of steam, plus we don't have to stand at home to do this, so why should we when we're away?
There was a full length mirror by the door and a nearby plug, so as long as you are ok with putting all your make up and hair stuff on the floor, then fine.
I always take my own hairdryer as my hair is long and thick and you never know what type and power of dryer you're going to find at any hotel. I did look at the hairdryer, which is in a bag in the wardrobe and it was decent enough but no nozzle, so not good for anything other than a basic hair dry.
I would definitiely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 22 is at the back and quiet.
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have just recently spent two nights at the Velvet. Our room was immaculately clean, cosy and decorated to the highest standard. We particularly loved returning to our room after an evening out to find replenished towels, ice, fresh milk, and the bed turned down and soft music playing. The staff were so, so friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for them. We enjoyed breakfast in bed, and the whole stay was absolutely fab. Will definitely return again - loved the whole experience!!!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Quirky, stunning shared areas and rooms. Lovely, efficient staff. Will stay here again but not during Gay Pride as we struggled to get to the hotel past the crowds! Prime location for bars and restaurants etc and very close to Victoria Train station, easily within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Although the rooms are a little smaller that we expect as American travelers, this place has so many amenities that you could almost just stay here.

Unfortunately I found Manchester to be a big disappointment. The city if dirty and not very Tourist friendly. While there certainly seems to be a thriving large city here, mixed so that it might be any great city in America with people from all over, there is nothing to do or see. They don't even have a typical Hop on Hop off Tour but this time of year.

I am so happy we chose this hotel or Manchester would have been a complete let down.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I spent one evening in Manchester to see our favorite rock band. I decided to make reservations at the Velvet because of the close proximity of venue and TA comments. I have to say it was definitely one of our favorites hotels and we do travel quite a bit. From every little detail and friendly staff, no one comes close. Thank you for a wonderful stay, we wished we could have stayed longer!

1  Thank Carol K