“Good....but certainly not the #1 in Manchester....”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here on Sunday 17th-18th. The design of the hotel is nice, and very clean throughout. Reception staff were helpful and very polite. Complimentary tea/coffee, biscuits and fruits were brought to the room, which is a nice touch. The bathroom was well stocked and very clean.

However....

We went out fro the evening and returned around 9.30-10 pm hoping to relax in the room. I have no idea what was going on in the room above but throughout the night, all we could hear was the electric windows opening and closing, loud music (I assume from the iPod dock....), running from one part of the room to another and generally a disturbance. I think I managed around 2 hours sleep in all. I had to leave the TV on in my own room just to mask the noise. Not conducive with a relaxing evening!

I would say that Velvet is a nice hotel, it is extremely difficult to park nearby and if you are carrying bags it is at least a 10 minute walk (to an expensive car park!). I have stayed in Manchester many times and I have experienced better hotels. I think it would be beneficial for the hotel to look into soundproofing. I would not rush back to the hotel based on my experience.....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Velvet hotel at the weekend just gone (15-17 Nov 13), its not the first time i have stayed here- it seems to get better and better!
we stayed in room no.31, it was perfect, amazingly decorated (including a double shower!) and fully equipped with everything we needed.
Upon arrival you are give a complimentary welcome tray including biscuits, tea and coffee and fresh milk which was a lovely touch and just what we needed after checking in fairly late on the friday evening.
The food at the restaurant was really lovely and we was very quick to be served.

I honestly don't have a bad word to say about this hotel and i will hopefully be returning again soon!

1  Thank Carrianne635
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had the balcony room with the huge bath and it was absolutely beautiful. I have a bit of a thing for good design details and the room didn't disappoint at all. I loved the complementary biscuits and ice and lemon and lime for our pre-night out drinks (although it did rather encourage us to empty the mini-bar). We had no problem with noise although we were back very late.

1  Thank Sara M
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Really nice, clean rooms. Comfy bed and high spec finishes throughout.
Staff very accommodating as we were slightly 'diva'ish in our request to move rooms because the wallpaper scared us! Silly I know. The man on reception was more than professional and patient with us (I probably wouldn't have been!) moving us to another room and checking we liked the wallpaper :)
Next time we're in Manchester we'll definitely be staying here
Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just an amazing hotel. Comfortable, fully equipped with everything you need, fruit bowl and welcome tray on arrival and - most important - a really warm and friendly welcome at the front desk, replicated by everyone from bar to restaurant to housekeeping. Plus, it's as central as you're going to get in Manchester. Faultless. Stay here!

Room Tip: Spoil yourself and go for one of the duplex penthouses
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Hotel is about 5-10 min walk from Piccadilly Station down Canal St.
Upon arrival you are given a complimentary tray of tea/coffee and lovely biscuits and just little fabulous things like a pot of lemon and limes and ice for your drinks. I was shown upstairs and was lucky enough to be staying in one of the penthouses. I've never stayed in a room like this with an upstairs and it was just lovely. They had a bowl of fruit waiting on the table including strawberries, i've never had a bowl of fruit in a hotel room. They have everything you want, really nice toiletries, a lovely stand alone bathtub which i didn't use but i stared at it a few times. There is a safe, a minbar, a goody basket in case you get the munchies, bathrobes, room service and check out the breakfast i got ( see photo ) i didn't even order the whole menu and it was the most PERFECT breakfast i've ever had. Coffee is really good also.
I had to go out and when i came back the blinds were drawn and they had put mints on the pillow and turned down the bed, i slept like a Log! Maybe there was something in the mints. The bar was closed off so didn't get to try any drinks but the mini bar saved the day.
I was gutted when i had to leave.The staff were lovely, well mannered and helpful and i really appreciated all the little touches. When you work so hard and pay out good money it's nice to stay somewhere that is like this and it's my new fav hotel in Manchester and i will be back!

Room Tip: Make sure you check on their website noise levels associated with each room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank actornewbs
Reviewed 5 November 2013

A friend treated the two of us to a night in one of the split level rooms for Hallowe'en. Decor and attention to detail perfect, central location so we could walk to all the bars, and most important of all friendly efficient staff.
Would have loved to have stayed for longer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends