“Quite possibly the worst hotel experience ever”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked this hotel based on the majority of other reviews on this website…however we could not have been any more disappointed.
Arriving at the hotel, it wasn't quite the boutique location, however once up the stairs to reception it looked ok.
The room itself looked fine, and the service from the lady who checked us in was great. So off we headed into Manchester for our usual mooch around the shops and cafes. Once back for a freshen up however, things took a small turn for the worse. Despite the fact this was the darkest room I have ever been in, and belonged more on Mordor than in Manchester, I hopped into the pitifully weak shower to freshen up…after 15 minutes of trying to rinse the soap suds from my eyes, I grabbed a towel from the pile and was about to dry myself when my wife shrieked, at what was a rather large brown stripe up the centre of my white towel. I am 38 years old, and I did not need forensic testing to tell me what this stain was…what was even more concerning, was that this towel had clearly been laundered, and so I am worried for the person from whom this rather stubborn stain was produced. No amount of Vanish, or Cilit Bang had cut the mustard in removing this stain, however the hotel had seen it fit in using the towel with the brown stripe as fresh laundry..suffice to say I dried myself with a hand towel.
We then headed off out back into town for a lovely meal, and returned back to the hotel at about 12.30am. Now then, we knew when we booked this hotel that it was near a couple of bars, however if you are going to market yourself as ANY sort of hotel, not least a 4 star boutique hotel (please, Velvet, you need to visit Great St John Street Hotel if you are wanting to market yourselves as boutique), then one of the main selling points of a hotel, is the good nights sleep that your guests are expecting. Well, our bedroom may as well have actually been INSIDE the nightclub for how loud it was. And we were two floors up. The only thing that was louder than the music was the shrieking and shouting from the hoards of people outside our room. A quick call to reception, and the very helpful hotel manager came to our room to check the noise levels…he quickly agreed it was ridiculous and disappeared to see what could be done. Over the next hour, as we were trying to get to sleep, not only were we kept awake by the thumping music, and the shrieking masses, we were now having to contend with the duty manager phoning our room every ten minutes to ask us if we had managed to get to sleep yet???????!!!!!!!!!!
His final phone call at 1.15am was the best of the lot. As I mentioned earlier, I am 38 years old, am married with two children, and myself and my wife had managed to sneak for a night away without the kids…we wanted a relaxing day, and a good nights sleep before we aged any more than we already have, thanks to there not being enough hours in the day, and our ever demanding kids…and so I found myself, almost in tears of despair, stood at 1.15am in my pants, trying to explain to the duty manager on the phone why I am still not happy with the noise levels, and that I will only be happy when Gloria Gaynor and DJ Shadow are banished from my ears for good for the evening, and I can FINALLY get to sleep.
The duty manager then says he has spoken to the owner of the hotel about my issue, and the owner has kindly agreed for me to leave the hotel NOW, without charge, if I am still not happy.
I REPEAT…it is 1.15am, I am in my pants, and I am knackered, from a day of food and drink, and 11 years of parenthood….WHERE AM I MEANT TO GO???!!!! I thanked him for the kind offer, politely declined, and hung up….half an hour later the music stopped.
WAHOOOO??????? not quite…..as the only thing more annoying than trying to sleep above a nightclub, is the man (or woman) who had the room above us, and paced, on the squeaky floorboards….for the next three hours…THREE HOURS!!!!! What was he doing?? My mind wandered..was he drunk? Walking his dog up there? Was it a cunning ploy by the owner to get me back for my unacceptable demands of relative peace?? The US army should employ this as an interrogation technique…
We eventually drifted off at around 5am….having run out of both tears and despair…
At 8am, we packed, checked out, and left…..
Boutique hôtels are wonderful when done correctly. If you want to stay in one…Great St John Street is a beauty…
If you want to stay up partying until the wee small hours…this is the place for you…however if you are a curmudgeonly man in his late 30's who wants to drift off to sleep with his wife, having watched a film on the telly and spent too much money in the shops…might I suggest Lenny Henry's option a far better one than this..

13  Thank TinkersRucksack4
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear guest,
I’m sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We obviously were not what you were looking for, it happens sometimes. As you have taken the time to look on TA, I’m sure you will have realised that occasionally some guests have found the vibrant surrounding area, with bars and restaurants, and indeed our own busy bar and restaurant, not what they are looking for. As we are consistently rated highly by the majority of our guests, most seem to find this a bonus, indeed even a pleasant surprise.
A couple of points I’d like to answer. Firstly the showers aren’t weak, fact, I’m not sure what more to say.
Secondly, it’s hard to comment on the towel as it was not brought to our attention. Obviously they are vigorously laundered by a large industry laundry company. So it will have been perfectly clean but housekeeping should have noticed any marks and it must have been missed, both by the launderers and ourselves. I can only apologise for this and I will be taking it up with housekeeping as this is not what we would expect our guests to find. I would always suggest you bring it to our attention so we can do something about it at the time.
Finally, I’m sorry you found the room noisy. Your room was on the 2nd floor and it is highly unusual for people to comment on noise from the bar. We did attend to your comments and I personally turned the volume down on this occasion. I noted your displeasure and your opinion that somehow not paying would help you sleep. And, yes that was fine, you were welcome to find somewhere else to sleep, but by your own admission you were too drunk to move, usually a nightcap too many aids sleep.
We are a beautiful hotel in the city centre of Manchester, with beautiful rooms, caring and attentive staff, and a great location if you want the hustle and bustle of a city centre. We are also in the heart of the Gay Village with numerous bars and restaurants on our doorstep. Weekends are vibrant, weekdays more chilled. Our guests come from a complete cross-section of society and most love it here. That is what we are here for, to ensure our guests have a good time, and I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you on this occasion.
Regards
Mark Cain

There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were marooned in Manchester due to the storms and based on other reviews chose Velvet as the place to stay. It was incredible from the warmth of the welcome with hot coffee and biscuits brought to the room on arrival through to the cheeriness of the staff late into the night when called on for room service or to sort out a very early morning bill so that we could catch the first train. We had the chance to see a couple of rooms - they are great. Comfy and luxurious at the same time. All in all a great time and a stay that massively exceeded expectations for someone "stuck" in the city. Velvet would be my first choice to stay when I am in Manchester again.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the balcony room with then big bath! It is great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Just got back from an overnight stay at Velvet for our anniversary break and I just had to write a review! I cannot fault the hotel for its incredible service. Having seen the pictures of the different rooms online, we were hoping to get a particular room (24) and after inquiring via email about reserving a certain room, the velvet team tried their best to accommodate our wishes and kept it in mind for our visit. (We did get the room!) Once we got to the hotel we were met by a very friendly man on reception who was very chatty and happy to help. He then showed us to our rooms and brought our personalized welcome trays moments later which contained coffee, milk, a mason jar of cookies, lemon and lime wedges, a jar of ice and two complementary glasses of champagne as we were celebrating our anniversary! The room was absolutely gorgeous just as we imagined and everything we would need was catered for. The only negatives that I could state were how cold the room dropped in the night and the flat mattress and pillows that weren’t very comfy- but even they couldn’t spoil the beauty of this hotel. The location of Velvet was perfect, only a few minutes away from the train station and only 5 minutes away from the city center- with bars and restaurants within a minutes walking distance. We went to the hotel bar later that night after a meal at a restaurant in town and the atmosphere was so relaxed and comfortable, along with a great selection of cocktails and liquors. After we checked out the next day, the hotel offered to look after our bags behind reception as we were not leaving until late that night, which made our lives a whole lot easier. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a romantic and easy break away in a friendly and unique hotel.

Room Tip: If you see a room that you like the look of, go on the mr and mrs smith website to find out the room...
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hotel is so unique and beautiful! Every room is different, and you can tell that a lot of time and attention was put into each - all very luxurious. They have high ceilings, comfortable beds, large, beautiful mirrors. Turndown service every night where they fill up your ice, refresh your milk, and give you a whole jar of cookies! I was nervous it was going to be noisy because it is right along a street with a ton of bars in the "gay village," but I didn't have any issues (Sun - Thurs stay).

I was here for business, but it's very romantic :).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Fab little boutique hotel. Close to train station (5min walk approx) which has a direct service every 4 minutes to the airport. Loved the quirky interior and little rubber ducky. Room service and food was lovely. A delightful stay. Highly recommended for a romantic get away

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ainey
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Checked out of Velvet yesterday and felt the need to share how fantastic the hotel is. We booked the party package which included a bottle of fizz, breakfast and a late checkout. It meant we were in a room at the front of the hotel so it was noisier than the other rooms on a Saturday night but this did not bother us as it was such an amazing room and wasn't too noisy at all. The room itself had a fantastic bed, excellent facilities and beautiful bathroom. Breakfast was lovely as was the dinner we were served in the room. The staff were welcoming and attentive. The hotel is also in a fantastic location on canal st, close to the shops and to the station. We will be back without a doubt!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

The decor is fabulous, the place is clean & the service is friendly. Receptionist came with cup of tea/coffee & fresh milk once we'd checked in. There are videos to borrow, if you want a quiet night & very little noise carried up from street or bar below. I would definitely recommend it.