“Another excellent stay”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a Penthouse that was very luxurious. So much so I nearly overslept! The team are wonderful and make you feel at home. Would recommend to everyone whether on business or social stay. Well placed for the city and nightlife

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Had to be one night in Manchester for a morning meeting. I wish I had arrived earlier.
The room was superb.
The service so friendly and professional.
And a swell breakfast.
Not to mention the balcony I had overlooking the canal.

Pricey... but so good.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great service from initial telephone.contact with Michael to ask about disabled facilities through to check in with Jamie who took us to our room and then made us coffee which he brought to our room post check in. Occupied room 31 which had great bathroom facilities with wet room. Having requested comfy chair were able to choose a chair of our choice which Louisa then had taken to our room whilst we had dinner in the restaurant. Food excellent both dinner and breakfast. Only disappointment is size of lift (small for wheelchair access) but this is governed by age and style of building. A really positive visit , service excellent and will be returning later this year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Lovely place... Amazing big lovely mirror@ the entrance! Service is super good! Always there for you !!! Rooms are super cosy! All different indeed , lovely balcony outside your room if you fancy the traditional drinks& fags combination and a very very cosy comforting bed indeed! Thank you Velvet! Lovely place indeed!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for 3 midweek nights based on TripAdvisor reviews. Wanted a nice relaxing short break- was not disappointed. Lovely unique rooms. Availed of the bath butler service on two of the days for my wife and I got 3 hours to test the local beers in peace!!! Lovely bar in the hotel. Piccadilly Train station is less than a 5 minute walk away and the trains to/from the airport are very frequent. Great choice for breakfast and all the hot foods are cooked to order.
A few things to bear in mind though....
I know this may sound bad and only say this by way of information for other couples-this hotel is located smack bang in the gay area of Manchester. It didn't take long to figure this out once we got there. With that said I must admit it was the most relaxed place in Manchester and there was seating areas outside along the canal for drinks. Felt safe and relaxed (after the initial shock). After the first few hours this no longer was an issue. The area was way less stereotypical than I initially thought and was very down to earth.
The hotel is a small boutique location with unique quirky features including lovely wooden floors and rafters. However you can here people walking above you. This only happened to us in the evening time but I wouldn't like if there were night owls above us

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David K
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Anyone stopping over in Manchester should definitely stay at the Velvet. After deciding to take my girlfriend away for a couple of days I wanted to take her somewhere a bit special, after looking at "lots" of hotels I decided to try the Velvet.....and im so glad I did. We stayed in one of the balcony rooms and although it wasnt the room I had in mind before we arrived I wasnt disappointed. Big Four poster bed and a huge roll top bath....perfect ;) I do recommend the "romantic arrival" & the "bath butler" service, its a really nice touch and makes it a little extra special. Deffo 5*....big thank 2 Velvet & special thanks 2 Nina x

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Chose the Velvet hotel based on the Tripadvisor recommendations. Overall first impressions of the hotel were good. The staff were friendly and the hotel had character.

Unfortunately, I experienced a few niggles whilst staying here which let it down (especially considering the price tag for the room).

As others have mentioned where the hotel is situated can make it noisy with partygoers on the street. However, I also experienced noise from adjacent rooms during the middle of the night which woke me (I believe another guest complained about this too), as well as generally bad soundproofing.

Also had a bad experience of something of mine being thrown away by housekeeping. I believe this was a genuine mistake, however this was very careless. Management resolved this by reimbursement, however it left a bad taste for me and my stay.

2  Thank Karena-macarena