“Top quality”

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here for our 1 year anniversary before a Michael Buble concert and couldn't have picked a better hotel to stay in. The meet and greet concierge was excellent, showed us to our room and brought in the complimentary tea and coffee tray and some biscuits. The room was spacious, clean and beautifully designed. There aren't any negatives about the hotel, everything was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed at the Velvet at the end of March attending a conference in town. Very nice little hotel with a great plush atmosphere which distinguishes it in a positive way from most other more or less boring hotels. Truly unique ambience.

The only thing that lets the place down a bit is the food, which I find bland and boring even though it's by no means cheap. But again; I could say that for most other hotels.

The hotel is in the middle of the Gay Village, which I'm told can be pretty lively. While I was there everybody must have been hungover because I found it quite calm and relaxing. But don't count on it being so.

I highly recommend this place, if you're looking for a different but very nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

It was a last minute decision to stay here. We switched hotel since we have been staying in the university building for more than a week. And it was a smart decision. The room was great, clean and unique. Service from the time we arrived until we checked out was amazing and efficient. Read previous reviews on the noises, perhaps the bed was so comfortable and we slept like a baby that we didn't noticed it. A great place to stay if you are in Manchester. To add, it's just 5 minutes walk to the train station!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I took my partner here for our anniversary and only stayed the one night. The staff were friendly, the place itself is very nice and is only a small walk from the centre of Manchester. We stayed in room 24 which had great decor. The bath was huge and stayed in it for a good couple of hours. Its located on canal street so if youre looking for a good nights sleep then don’t go there on a weekend haha. Ive given it a 4 star because of how expensive the hotel is. Its a huge price for a one night stay and would only go back for a special occasion due to the price of the room. If youre looking for somewhere different then this is the place to go to

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Very short notice booking, only booked an hour before arriving and hadn't had chance to read reviews - but we weren't disappointed!

Great service - from the check in, welcome tray and coffee to the breakfast and extra toast to take up to my hungover Mrs!

Rooms are great, very clean. Only two issues were the noise outside and the fact it felt like two single mattresses were used on a double
Bed - minor but there you go!

Would have been a four for those reasons but the brilliant staff more than made it up.

Defo coming back for a summer night out!!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Velvet restaurant is one of my favourites so we decided to book a night. And I have to say the room (12 ) was lovely the extras ice lemon biscuits are a nice touch and I was having a great time, unfortunately not being able to get to sleep till 4.45 because of the noise outside ruined it for us, I could not wait to come back as I was loving the hotel so much but it was that bad I don't think we could cope which is a shame as everything else ticks all the boxes.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I write this sitting at the table in Suite 404 at Velvet. Listening to my ipod playing on a super stereo drinking Yorkshire tea in my bathrobe, after an excellent night sleep.
Having just spend a few days staying in Marriotts etc this independent hotel is a real breath of fresh air. Purple velvet wallpaper and bright red faux leather sofas in the room that is a duplex with two bathrooms and every amenity one needs.
OK so its in the center of a very gay village, in fact much more gay and in your face than Village in NYC or Boystown Chicago. Not for the faint hearted but so much to look at!
Plenty of taxis nearby at end of Canal St so no problem getting around and car park on next block.
I didn't eat at restaurant but I have heard good things, plenty of local less expensive options.
I'll never stay at Hilton etc whilst this hotel maintains this standard

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple