“Dissapointing...dont scratch the surface!”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #9 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 December 2009

My partner & I stayed here for 2 nights while in the city for a concert. The 15 minute wait to check in should maybe have been a warning of things to come. The lady on reception was pleasant and did show us personally to our room - leaving behind at least 3 other guests also waiting to check in / out. We were kindly offered a welcome drink - which when received nearly 2 hours later - was nice, with fruit, ice, biscuits and fresh milk.
First impressions of our room were fantastic, very boutique and indulgent furnishings.
Bed was great, very comfortable and a bath tub which could have accomodated 4 people was a winner. However - after unpacking and settling in we started to notice small things such as dust on the bedhead which was without exageration 5ml deep. On using the bathroom we then found that the sink was not plumbed in correctly - any water that went in - came out - onto the floor.
We then went out for the evening and returned around 11pm - feeling peckish we ordered a sandwich on room service. The sandwich we first ordered was not available and we were told it shouldnt be on the in room menu (take it off if you are aware). We received our food in good time shortly after to find the sandwich consisted of a bread which was so dry it could have been brioche - but unfortunatley it wasnt, niether was it buttered - not even the obligatory lettuce leaf to garnish the plate!..it was inedible - was is a shame because the breakfast was beautiful. Great quailty produce and very well cooked and presented, as was the meal we had in the restuarant the following day - we would definately go to velvet to dine again...but as our hotel experience was then made worse by the fact when we decided to enjoy the huge bath tub and relax a little we were interupted by the manager knocking on the door to tell us that as the bath was filling it was leaking through the floor....so the luxurious bath was out of action along with the sink!
We have read the complaints on TA regarding noise - of which I have to say was not a problem we encountered - until the fire alarm was activated 3 times between 7& 8am.
In all Velvet bar and restuarant are absolutely great and we would definately return but will be staying in the Malmaison to ensure a bath and good nights sleep in a hotel that has been well fitted out and is maintained and cleaned to the expected level. Velvet has the potential to be everything it proffesses to be and I genuinely hope they acheive what they have set out to do..my suggestion would be for the Manager to check in for the evening and experience the above..and when he has laid on a great bed to see 3 light bulbs out and 1 missing, stains on the magnificent headboard,and wet feet when brushing his teeth he may then create a snagging list to correct all of the niggling 5 minute jobs that lie beneath the beautiful surface of a hotel that is failing due to quite simply a lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveller88Blackpool
managervelvet, General Manager at Velvet, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2009

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments – we are always keen to impress our guests, and I feel that on this occasion we haven’t done so. In light of your comments, we have improved our housekeeping detail for both an improved room-check prior to guests arriving as well as more detailed bulb checks – as it is unacceptable both to us and to our guests that bulbs can be out of order, and surfaces left untidy and with a level of dust on them when guests are checking into our rooms.

We have similarly this week had our plumbing contractors out to the room you stayed in, in order to address the issues you faced – the sink is now in working order, and we have fully investigated the overflow situation resulted in the flood situation with the floor below.

Having recently changed our menu – it is unfortunate that the menu in your room was not the correct one when ordering room service at night time. We have now checked all of the rooms – and all menus are now present and correct.

The fire alarm going off in the morning is unfortunate, but was a genuine fault with the system. It being the final nail in the coffin so to speak, I completely understand the unhappiness felt, but this is a needed system to have in place – I do apologise that it caused offense, and less of a good night’s sleep.

I am however pleased that you enjoyed the Bar and Restaurant – and certainly hope that you do think of us in the future when staying in Manchester despite several small niggles getting in the way of your complete enjoyment of staying with us at Velvet.

Jason Pascall

There are newer reviews for Velvet

Reviewed 26 November 2009

I was originally hoping to stay at the nearby City Inn, but when I called they told me they were fully booked (even though Expedia was showing availability), so I just scrolled down Tripadvisor to Velvet, and was certainly pleased I did, for a start Velvet was cheaper. This was a business trip and I was in a hurry so I booked directly with the hotel and Jason handled everything quickly and efficiently. I took the cheapest available room at £119 even though he offered me some kind of Penthouse for £199. I was a little concerned about noise because the hotel is on Canal Street which is filled with bars and restaurants and just a few minutes walk from the main Piccadilly train station. But the room was well soundproofed and was beautiful. It looks like a warehouse restoration. I had a huge comfortable black gothic bed in a large, high-ceilinged room with wooden floorboards. I loved the large fluffy pillows too. The bathroom had a big square bath and a separate shower cubicle, and fancy automatic subdued lighting that comes on when you walk in. I plugged my iPod into the alarm and watched a little TV as I finished off my work e-mails with the free Wi Fi. This small hotel is part of a restaurant but I didn’t have time for supper so sadly I can’t comment fully on the food. I did go down to the restaurant for breakfast the next morning and had a lovely eggs Benedict start to my day before catching the train to London. I was made to feel very welcome and I will certainly come back to stay at The Velvet and spend a weekend in Manchester with my better half.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank FMonday
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for an evening in November (birthday treat) and I will definitely be returning. This is a carefully restored building decorated in sumptuous colours with purples and chocolate shades abound. The reception desk staff were lovely at check-in - asking what plans we had for our stay and offering help with evening activities. The rooms are to die for - we stayed in one of the 'regular' rooms and I can honestly say that it beats upgraded rooms and suites in other hotels (not just in Manchester but nationally). The rooms were well equipped with Ren products in the bathroom, soft fluffy towels and bathrobes, an in-room safe, tuck box, mini-bar, ipod docking station, plasma tv and dvd player and besides having great tea/coffee making facilities, staff brought us a brew with our bubbly as we were unpacking. We both slept really well in the beyond comfy beds - they've clearly gone the extra mile here with good quality bed linen, pillows etc. As some other reviewers have mentioned, yes there was some noise from outside but as an incredibly light sleeper I can honestly say this did not affect me. The bar turned its music off at 2 and we could just hear the faint strains of music from a club much further down - please do not let this put you off booking! I have stayed in all the bigger hotels in Manchester - Midland, Hilton, Malmaison etc but will not go back to them unless I have to! I am a total Velvet convert now :)

Reviewed 15 November 2009

Stayed at Velvet during Halloween 09, travelling up to Manchester for a Green Day gig at MEN. (Tip - go for the £10 Cross Country first class upgrade for a seriously relaxing journey). We chose Velvet to make a bit of a weekend of it, and what a great choice it was.

Although we'd never stayed there before we were greeted like old friends, with the perfect blend of VIP service and humour which was great as it made the whole experience feel relaxed, rather than the usual pretentious formality of very smart or trendy hotels that I personally find excruciating. On being shown to our Penthouse we were offered complimentary champagne and given some recommendations on what to do during the afternoon. The location is great - just a few minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly (thank goodness as unsurprisingly enough for Manchester it was chucking it down) and a brisk 10/15 minute walk to the MEN.

The room (apartment would be more accurate) was great - really well appointed with the bedroom on a mezzanine floor and a WC so that you didn't have to traipse downstairs to the bathroom during the night. There was fresh milk in a fab china 'carton', biscuits, fruit, lemon and lime for the bar, dressing gowns, slippers, a hairdryer that wasn't chained to a drawer (!!!), coat hangers that weren't chained to a rail (even more !!!) and a truly luxuriant selection of REN toiletries including face masks and moisturisers which were a real treat.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable and large - so much so that we went for a late check out and enjoyed a lie-in. Again, on this point, great service, even though we phoned half an hour before we should have checked out we didn't get any of that huffing and puffing you get in so many hotels. The bath tub filled quickly and was so deep and relaxing that I could have stayed in it all weekend.

After the gig we popped into the bar for a night-cap. Four hours later we were still there - great atmosphere and although it was totally packed the service was prompt and polite. There was a fairly lively fancy dress Halloween party going on that was open to non-residents so the door policy was quite watchful, but although we popped out numerous times during the evening for some, ahem, 'fresh air' the doorman remembered us and didn't hassle us about coming back in.

Breakfast was the perfect tonic the next morning - fab quality and very fresh and the checkout felt like we'd all been on a joint night out ;-) There was a couple who were complaining about their air-con not working and the noise but to be brutally honest (and apologies for this but I hope it might help other people) they didn't really seem like the kind of people who Velvet cater for.

In conclusion we went back to work feeling like we'd been away for a week. Pretty good value I think...

PS On the service point I forgot my toothbrush - on asking for one from reception I had a full-size Colgate toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and dental floss delivered in a lovely bag...nice touch

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeasideFan57
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Rooms are beautifully decorated, with very comfy beds. Staff are very friendly and will do
anything to help. The breakfast menu is the best we've encountered in any hotel. The
hotel is only 6 months old so it decor and cleanliness are top notch. One downside if you would call it that is the bar below the 1st floor bedrooms, on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday night there is quite a bit of vibration from the music. So book for the second floor and up

1  Thank brad4
Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed at Velvet over Friday and Saturday night in November at a total cost of £258.

Our room was above the bar - meaning a late check-out, free bottle of bubbly and slightly cheaper rate were included as 'compensation'.

In actual fact, we needed no compensation at all - we heard no noise whatsoever; bar someone cleaning the corridor in the morning, which reception even apologised for, though we truly didn't mind one bit.

The room itself was gorgeous - HUGE and very comfortable bespoke bed, exposed brickwork, mini bar, plasma TV, iPod dock (essential), wardrobe area, rainfall shower in the bathroom, etc, etc.

The decor was clearly very well thought out. Every room in Velvet is unique and the attention to detail is very evident.

We were overlooking Canal Street, which we were pleased about, but literally couldn't hear a peep!

The staff were very curteous and welcoming. The location is fantastic for the village - right on the end of Canal Street; about a ten minute walk into the main shopping area.

The only drawback is the price - £130+ per night is a little out of my usual budget. But whenever I can afford it, I'll be returning!

In fact, I don't know how I will survive staying anywhere else from now on.

Well done Velvet!

2  Thank Sparklepop
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I dont want to recommend this hotel cos then it would be full and i couldn't get a room! The hotel is great, the staff couldn't be more helpful. The rooms are gorgeous and the beds are so big you need a map, compass and orienteering skills to find your other half! The bathroom belongs to the duck so you have to let them swim when you shower or bath.The food in the restaurant is great You would not find a better hotel in Manchester.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple