1,981 results
All reviews canal street balcony room fresh milk the penthouse bath butler little touches boutique hotel on arrival huge bath gay village ice bucket mini bar double shower roll top bath fantastic hotel birthday treat fantastic stay
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Stayed for 2two nights on shopping trip. Fabulous Hotel, didnt want to leave! Food in the restaurant was very reasonable and lovely. The staff are very nice and very helpful. Will be going back to hotel for sure!

Date of stay: January 2010
2  Thank wilson2009
Velvet_MCR, Guest Relations Manager at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review Velvet Hotel.

We welcome all feedback with open arms to help us improve the product and services we offer.

All feedback is passed to our management team and acted upon as appropriate.

Velvet has begun a full refurbishment of the property following the new ownership last year, the restaurant and bar works are now complete with the hotel currently underway.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Velvet soon, so you can see the transformation.

Reviewed 5 January 2010

The service was excellent and we were made to feel very welcome. We upgraded to the penthouse and we were delighted with the room - it had genuine character and warmth. The bar downstairs was really comfortable and chilled out.

The location is very central and was an excellent place to start our night out in Manchester. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 31 December 2009

My husband and I stayed her for a couple of days away. The room was excellent very clean and well equipped and certainly not the boring type of usual chain hotel room. The Ren toiletries were a great treat and the fresh milk, ice, lemon etc on the welcome tray made a very welcome addition.
A very short stroll from Picadilly train station and accessible to shops and restaurants.
We ate in the restaurant prior to our train home and really enjoyed the food. it was especially good value for money as they have offers between 4 and 7pm.
We also had a drink in the hotel the night before and found the bar very friendly relaxing and a nice end to the evening.
The only complaint I would make was that we were at the back of the hotel and were disturbed by the regular tipping of bottles into a skip until the early hours.
I would definately stay here again but hopefully in a room higher up to reduce the noise level.

Reviewed 23 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Velvet for a shopping trip in December after looking on Trip advisor. Upon our arrival we were welcomed with THE most filthy room I have ever entered. There were suspicious stains on the couch, all the glasses and cups hadn't been washed and there were make up marks on the towels. The whole room was rotten. True, it does have all the latest gadgets within it, ipod docks and flat screen Televisions but money would have been better spent on a cleaner. We complained but the staff couldn't have cared any less. They simply giggled amongst each other and said there were no other rooms. Do not stay here.

5  Thank TeamAwesome09
managervelvet, General Manager at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Dear reviewer,

I do find it hard to believe that this level of dirt and filth were present in your room when you checked into the hotel, as we proactively check each room prior to a guest checking in. This process is a three step check, with myself on the Saturday doing the final check and I can assure you that this level of dirt was not present when these checks were done. In fact – if they had been, then I suspect and hope that you would have mentioned it to any of my staff who would have been more than accommodating with any request – as you will read from any of the below reviews. We all take our roles here very seriously, and take great pride in Velvet.

At no point was a request to move rooms made, and I assure you that my staff would not have responded in the way you describe.

The reason I suspect you have placed a negative review on tripadvisor is nothing more than sour grapes on your part. When you checked out of one of our Penthouse Suites on the Sunday – without any mention to the reception team, we discovered a broken lamp within the room. We then needed to call the police and of course had to replace and re-fit the lamp to the room. This was at a cost to yourself of £130.00 charged to your card in line with signed terms and conditions on checking into the hotel - which having spoken with yourself you were not happy with and so have, in my opinion, resorted to lies pertaining to the cleanliness of the rooms, and poor attitude of my staff.

As any reader of these reviews will see from reading below – we always try our level best to look after each guest and ensure their stay is as exceptional as possible, and our rooms are amongst the cleanest in Manchester.

Jason Pascall

Reviewed 18 December 2009

In late November, I treated my girlfriend to a weekend at Velvet, staying in one of their Penthouse suites. We prefer weekend trips around the UK and of the places we've stayed, Velvet is one, if not *the* best boutique hotel. Certainly in the north.

I stayed in the City Inn 6 weeks prior (at time of writing, City Inn is #1 of hotels in Manchester) but found it to be basic, bland and remote. Velvet has got what City Inn lacks in spades. The hotel has been open less than a year and it already has its own soul. The Penthouse we stayed in was split over 2 levels and has had a lot of care over the design and furnishings. The bathroom was very luxurious and has been installed at no expense. I can't comment on the bed as I'm not an easy sleeper anywhere, but my girlfriend absolutly loved it.

Style and substance are in equal measure at Velvet. The people behind the desk obviously care about your stay and are natural hoteliers. The manager - Jason - made our stay very comfortable. For a few small issues, we were compensated with a small bottle of Coniac and a box of chocolates on turndown, some champagne, and best of all - a night free of charge. Large compensation for minor issues. Thank you Jason!

The hotel itself is a short walk to the town centre and at one end of Canal Street. Good position for both shopping and partying. We ate one night in the Velvet restaurant where the food was absolutly delicious, although service was disorganised. Canal St was full of people having a good time. Any worries about being the only gay in the villiage would be groundless. We're both from Brighton, so you'd need more than just a rainbow flag to shock us.

I am sure to return to Velvet again. Fantastic place and deserves to be #1.

Date of stay: November 2009