“I thought the good reviews were faked- they are not. Almost perfect.”
Review of Velvet Hotel

Velvet Hotel
Ranked #9 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We have styaed in most hotels in manchester in the past few years and if you are looking for small and personal - this has got to be one of the best.
We booked a standard room but upgraded to a penthouse on a saturday night. The rate was fantastic (but it was early january) I am sure we would pay much more normally.
Reception was good and everything was explained. We were taken up to the room personally and coffee and fruit was sent up to the room shortly afterwards. nice touch.
The rooms themselves are very nice. Most of the furniture seems to come from Dwell but has been thought out well. Our bathroom had a nice bath and shower as well as robes and slippers. our room had 2 flat screens one in the lounge and one in the bedroom (the lounge tv was very high on the wall for viewing from the sofa though)
Any problems? not really, but VELVET bar can be very noisy at the weekend. we could hear it in the penthouse (and feel vibrations) so it may be very bad in other rooms even closer. I doubt this would be a problem during the week or if you are going out- but it doesnt close until 2am.
Would we stay here again? yes. The rates can be expensive and if you are looking for a gym or pool- look elsewhere. However, if they continue the high standard the hotel will do well even in a recession.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westdidsbury
Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed 9 January 2010

Stayed for 2two nights on shopping trip. Fabulous Hotel, didnt want to leave! Food in the restaurant was very reasonable and lovely. The staff are very nice and very helpful. Will be going back to hotel for sure!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wilson2009
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The service was excellent and we were made to feel very welcome. We upgraded to the penthouse and we were delighted with the room - it had genuine character and warmth. The bar downstairs was really comfortable and chilled out.

The location is very central and was an excellent place to start our night out in Manchester. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 31 December 2009

My husband and I stayed her for a couple of days away. The room was excellent very clean and well equipped and certainly not the boring type of usual chain hotel room. The Ren toiletries were a great treat and the fresh milk, ice, lemon etc on the welcome tray made a very welcome addition.
A very short stroll from Picadilly train station and accessible to shops and restaurants.
We ate in the restaurant prior to our train home and really enjoyed the food. it was especially good value for money as they have offers between 4 and 7pm.
We also had a drink in the hotel the night before and found the bar very friendly relaxing and a nice end to the evening.
The only complaint I would make was that we were at the back of the hotel and were disturbed by the regular tipping of bottles into a skip until the early hours.
I would definately stay here again but hopefully in a room higher up to reduce the noise level.

Reviewed 23 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Velvet for a shopping trip in December after looking on Trip advisor. Upon our arrival we were welcomed with THE most filthy room I have ever entered. There were suspicious stains on the couch, all the glasses and cups hadn't been washed and there were make up marks on the towels. The whole room was rotten. True, it does have all the latest gadgets within it, ipod docks and flat screen Televisions but money would have been better spent on a cleaner. We complained but the staff couldn't have cared any less. They simply giggled amongst each other and said there were no other rooms. Do not stay here.

4  Thank TeamAwesome09
managervelvet, General Manager at Velvet Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Dear reviewer,

I do find it hard to believe that this level of dirt and filth were present in your room when you checked into the hotel, as we proactively check each room prior to a guest checking in. This process is a three step check, with myself on the Saturday doing the final check and I can assure you that this level of dirt was not present when these checks were done. In fact – if they had been, then I suspect and hope that you would have mentioned it to any of my staff who would have been more than accommodating with any request – as you will read from any of the below reviews. We all take our roles here very seriously, and take great pride in Velvet.

At no point was a request to move rooms made, and I assure you that my staff would not have responded in the way you describe.

The reason I suspect you have placed a negative review on tripadvisor is nothing more than sour grapes on your part. When you checked out of one of our Penthouse Suites on the Sunday – without any mention to the reception team, we discovered a broken lamp within the room. We then needed to call the police and of course had to replace and re-fit the lamp to the room. This was at a cost to yourself of £130.00 charged to your card in line with signed terms and conditions on checking into the hotel - which having spoken with yourself you were not happy with and so have, in my opinion, resorted to lies pertaining to the cleanliness of the rooms, and poor attitude of my staff.

As any reader of these reviews will see from reading below – we always try our level best to look after each guest and ensure their stay is as exceptional as possible, and our rooms are amongst the cleanest in Manchester.

Jason Pascall

Reviewed 18 December 2009

In late November, I treated my girlfriend to a weekend at Velvet, staying in one of their Penthouse suites. We prefer weekend trips around the UK and of the places we've stayed, Velvet is one, if not *the* best boutique hotel. Certainly in the north.

I stayed in the City Inn 6 weeks prior (at time of writing, City Inn is #1 of hotels in Manchester) but found it to be basic, bland and remote. Velvet has got what City Inn lacks in spades. The hotel has been open less than a year and it already has its own soul. The Penthouse we stayed in was split over 2 levels and has had a lot of care over the design and furnishings. The bathroom was very luxurious and has been installed at no expense. I can't comment on the bed as I'm not an easy sleeper anywhere, but my girlfriend absolutly loved it.

Style and substance are in equal measure at Velvet. The people behind the desk obviously care about your stay and are natural hoteliers. The manager - Jason - made our stay very comfortable. For a few small issues, we were compensated with a small bottle of Coniac and a box of chocolates on turndown, some champagne, and best of all - a night free of charge. Large compensation for minor issues. Thank you Jason!

The hotel itself is a short walk to the town centre and at one end of Canal Street. Good position for both shopping and partying. We ate one night in the Velvet restaurant where the food was absolutly delicious, although service was disorganised. Canal St was full of people having a good time. Any worries about being the only gay in the villiage would be groundless. We're both from Brighton, so you'd need more than just a rainbow flag to shock us.

I am sure to return to Velvet again. Fantastic place and deserves to be #1.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Atticus_Mo
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I was very excited about our trip to the Velvet after reading all the great reviews, and although i didn't leave disappointed i do think there are some things that could be improved upon. We arrived early and left our bags at reception, when we came back later in the afternoon our bags were already placed in our room. The room itself was great, very comfortable and clean, a well stocked mini bar and the complimentary welcome tray was a nice touch. We left in the evening to watch a show and when we returned our bed had been turned down but our welcome tray with dirty cups etc had been left in the room which annoyed me a little, i feel it should have been removed. The staff at the hotel were friendly enough but i did feel there was something lacking from them. I also have to say that i am not a light sleeper but the noise from the street did wake me up in the night, and my partner also. The location is great, a quick walk to the centre and we found the restaurant guides in the room very helpful when choosing where to eat. My only complaint about the room itself was the bedstead, my partner and myself banged our legs on it several times and have now got some nasty bruises!