“A More Perfect Wedding Hotel Could Not Be Asked For!”
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #10 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“A More Perfect Wedding Hotel Could Not Be Asked For!”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

The team at The Velvet Hotel made our Wedding Weekend the most fantastic and magical weekend of our lives. We had champagne on arrival and were treated like royalty from start to finish. We had looked at other hotels in Manchester, but none even came close to the standard and opulence that we found here. My new husband was even quoted as saying "let's ditch the house and move in here!"

If you are planning your Civil Partnership or Wedding, you will be hard pushed to find anywhere else like The Velvet Hotel!

Boutique Hotel, exquisite bar and a World Class Restaurant in one building , what more could you ask for.

Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a perfect hotel for their Wedding Night and their Wedding Guest!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
scarborough
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Never been to this hotel before. From the moment we enter'd till we left nothing was to much trouble. the room was great we stayed in room 31, more like japan's type room 3rd floor,
Not much noise apart from the extractor fan on the roof, the room was very well set out and the bathroom nearly as big, two showers very diffrent ! the staff were very good and service was great in the dinning room for dinner/breakfast. This type of hotel is quite diffrent ,we have been to the best hotels in the world and we have found this one well up there with some of the best, i would recommend it to others canal street so what. lots of people having fun in the bars, great night out,great hotel,

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I have stayed here a few times now and each time the staff have been absolutely faultless. They have always responded to requests promptly and efficiently and with a great attitude. This service quality extends to all staff I met, including bar staff, restaurant, housekeeping and front desk.
I have a preferred room, so can only really comment on one of them. Suffice to say, it is so good that I keep going back. Spacious, clean and with a well-stocked minibar. It is on the pricey side, even for central Manchester where every hotel seems to be continually squeezing up rates. However, for a slightly decadent night in a vibrant part of town and a good few hours sleep after it is perfect.
I will be returning. Regularly.
Note to manager - frequent guest rewards?!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Lytham St Annes England
Reviewed 27 March 2010

This is our 2nd trip to Velvet, stayed 2 nights had a Balcony Room, No34, worth the price,Hotel fantastic, staff excellant, nothing too much trouble, from the Reception staff, Jason and Stewart, to the Bar Staff, and the Security Chap, who came and asked if we had had a good day, as it was raining they provided us with an umbrella. Ate at the restrauant on both nights and wasnt disappointed, the steak was cooked as one had asked for. Desserts to die for. They also have a fab Room Service. Room 34 had the most wonderful bath, could have been for 4, so just chilled. All in all will most def be going back, cant wait.

North Wales
Reviewed 16 March 2010

I was looking for an appropriate hotel for our first wedding anniversay, and after lots of shopping around Manchester, booked the Velvet for the friday night. At the time of booking i was hoping for two nights, but they were fully booked except for their most expensive room, which to be honest i couldn't afford. So i asked them to let me know if another room became available, which they did on arrival, demonstrating their good customer service.
The parking for the hotel was at a public car park just round the corner, which was slightly annoying, but expected in a city centre.
On the friday night we had our dinner in the velvet, which was good but not as good as their breakfast the next day which was excellent.
The location was great, as we went out down canal street on the first night, then onto a casino round the corner. We walked to the shops with a slight hangover, but it wasn't far at all. We got a taxi to a different area of manchester on the second night.
The rooms were clean, modern and very tasteful without being over the top. Loved the shower room. Overall excellent, would definately go back there again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Sunderland
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I booked this hotel as a suprise for my partners birthday. With the very reasonable price of £98 per night for a 4* hotel with added extra's such as champagne welcome, a full english breakfast included in the room rate (which was of excellent quality) & a late 1pm checkout it seemed too good an opportunity to miss! I booked 2 nights & paid just over £200 altogether (paid on checking out).
After a 3 hour drive, unfortunatley the hotel is not in an ideal location & we struggled to find Canal street, only for it to be situated on a street with no access to cars & no carpark! The oneway systems & road works in the city centre ensured alot of driving around in circles & frustration. Once we found a near Ncp (£10 for 24hrs when staying at Velvet) we found the hotel & were allowed to check in early. We were greeted by Stuart, who was faultless, polite & very professional. He offered us our champagne, & complementary tea & coffee on arrival. Also showing us how to use all electrical devices.
Our room was directly opposite reception, as I had opted for the clubbers package, thus cheaper room rates as we were situated above the bar so it was a noisey room but we didnt mind. Not recommended for those going for R&R!
Room 14 was very sumptous & decadent in its decor, and catered to your every need from complementary beauty products to free WiFi & dvd player.
Unfortunatley we could hear everything going on at reception & in the air vent in the room, we caught conversations from the room upstairs. I did anticipate noise as this is explained in the hotel description, & to be honest it didnt bother us at all as we didnt come to get a good nights sleep! The beats from canal street (The Gay village) could be heard till early hours so purely for the location I feel that its 4* rating is slightly ambitious. A very top quality 3* is maybe more appropriate, in my opinion. But for the price I paid, im certainly not complaining. I wolud recommend it to all & will definatley be returning.

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Just got back from staying one night at Velvet and I'm so glad I booked there, it was fabulous!

The hotel itself is located on Canal Street, it was really easy to find and about 2 minutes walk from Manchester Piccadilly. As soon as you walk up the steps to the reception you're greeted with the gorgeous decor that comes as standard here. Check in was nice and stress free, we paid £99 for a standard king room on the website when we booked but chose to upgrade when they offered it to us on check in, the upgrade prices were £30 extra to upgrade to a balcony king room (was £149 at time of booking) or £50 to upgrade to a penthouse suite (I believe this was £199 at time of booking). We chose a balcony room as I'm a smoker, they offered to show us the rooms available and let us pick which we wanted but there was one with a 4 poster bed which sold me instantly!

We were showed up to our room by the lady on reception who showed us how everything worked in the room. The room did not disappoint, it was gorgeous. The bed was massive and ridiculously comfy. There was a antique effect writing desk with a few magazines, hotel information, menus, what's on guides ect. The room had all the usual amenities, but more than the standard stuff you come to expect in most UK hotels. Large flat screen tv, dvd player, Ipod dock, ironing board with an actual real iron, air conditioning, proper tea and coffee making facilities (real coffee and FRESH milk!), well stocked reasonable priced mini bar, bathrobes, slippers, even a rubber duck in the bath! Oh, the bath! Could easily fit two possibly three people in it, same with the shower plus there were gorgeous REN toiletries on the counter. The balcony was spacious, and there was a light and heater out there which you could turn on from inside. Within minutes of being in the room we got a lovely welcome tray brought up with coffee, biscuits, sweeties, fruit and ice for the minibar which was a really nice touch!

After seeing the hotel we decided to try the restaurant for our evening meal and it was definately worth it, the food was all beautiful. They cooked my steak perfectly and my fiancé had the fried chicken which was deliecious, apparently it's an in house special. Between 4 and 7pm they have a meal deal thing which I think is 2 courses for £12.95, we only manage 1 course though. Decent wine list too!

We went out after diiner to see a show at the the Lowry Theatre and when we got back about 10pm our room had been turned down for us. I haven't seen that in any other hotel in the UK. They even thoughtfully put the iron and ironing board away that we'd left out in our rush to get to the theatre, plus they restocked our ice, fruit and fresh milk, turned on the love song channel on the radio and left the lights on low.

We decided to nip downstairs and check out the bar because it was still pretty early. The bar downstairs was pretty busy to say it was a Thursday night but we had no problem getting served quickly. We decided to take the drinks back up to the room with us and pretty soon were headed back upstairs arms laden with beer and cocktails. Yum!

A few champagne cocktails later it was bedtime. Things did quieten down outside on Canal Street at around about 1pm, I imagine it's later on weekends. It wasn't too intrusive. The walls are pretty thin between rooms though, I could quite cleary here a drunken conversation in the next room and was awoken at 7.45am by the couple in the other next door room being quite vocal in an altogether different way and shortly after that some maintenence/repair works starting outside on the canal. This was the only downside to our stay, and something that I wasn't too bothered about bearing in mind how good everything else had been.

Since I was awake early I made the most of the REN toiletries in the massive bath and then we went downstairs to treat ourselves to an extremely tasty breakfast before checking out.

Even after all that I've said about Velvet already, I think it's really the staff that make this place so great. Everyone was so nice and friendly and couldn't do enough to help. It was brilliant! I can't wait till I get an excuse to go back again. I'm thinking my Hen night!