“Significantly overrated and a long way off being the best/no.1 hotel in Manchester!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Velvet

Velvet
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2011

This hotel is significantly overrated. Our Friday night check in procedure was horrendous. Arriving late at around 9pm, following check-in the nightporter/receptionist thought it would be a good idea to provide a tour of our room and its features. Totally over the top and totally unecessary - funnily enough I have stayed in hotels before and can work the light in the bathroom! At 10.30pm, we were then subjected to a visit from housekeeping - what sort of a hotel sends housekeeping around at this time? The procedure was repeated on the saturday night at 9.30pm! Absolutely ridiculous. On the Friday night, the nightporter called the room no fewer than three times - trying to foist upon us a complimentary bottle of "champagne" which I had already declined for the evening. When I did take this on the Saturday night, I would not describe it as "champagne" in the conventional sense of a Moet & Chandon. To top it all off, my room door (no. 14) opened onto reception, it was freezing cold and also it was perched above a noisy bar. Bed also very creaky and uncomfortable. Room service limited to cold sandwiches after 10pm! All in all a poor experience. I did make these points to the receptionist on checkout who merely shrugged and offered no form of apology or discount. If you are going to Manchester I seriously recommend either the Hilton or another hotel - this place has a long way to go to achieve the No. 1 status!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rich091
VelvetHotel, Owner at Velvet, responded to this review, 2 February 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I have read them carefully and am still unsure why you were unhappy about a lot of the extras we provide to our guests that make us No.1 on TA.

We do indeed take our guests to their rooms and as all our rooms are unique there are some differences that we can point out. If you had taken advantage of this information you would have been aware of how to work the heating. Although our guests can usually work it out for themselves. At this stage we then provide the guest with fresh milk, ice, biscuits and lemon/lime slices for their drinks.

As regards to our hardworking housekeeping team, you may not be aware but some better quality hotels provide a turndown service in the evening. The housekeepers will turn down your bed, refresh your ice and milk, tidy around and set the lights and music for your return. As you were in a 'clubbing package' room, guests are usually out at these times mentioned.

The room you were in was sold to yourself at a reduced rate as it is above our busy bar with DJs until 2am and we make this quite clear. Guests should be aware of the package they are booking and not just book on price for this very reason. If you are out enjoying Canal St then noise is not a problem. All our other rooms do not have this noise ingress from the bar. We also make the package even more attractive by including the bottle of fizz that our Night Manager was 'triying to foist' on you, we also include breakfast and give a complimentary late checkout at 1pm allowing a lie-in.

We have checked the bed which we still deem to be extremely comfortable, but there was a slight squeak to one side which we thank you for bringing to our attention as we can now try and remedy this.

Kind Regards
Mark Cain
Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Staffordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

This was my first stay at Velvet and the hotel didn't disappoint.

The hotel has an attractive, individual style that is both uber stylish but confidently relaxing at the same time. We were greeted warmly with the emphasis clearly on offering guests a great service during their stay.

Our room was beautifully decorated and, again, echoed the trendy, sophisticated style of the rest of the hotel.

Having stayed in Manchester many times (lucky me!!!) I know that a food nights sleep can be hard to find. Not at Velvet. I awoke feeling fresh after a relatively noise free, stress free rest.

Is there a downside to all this? Well only slightly. There's no complimentary water in the (very warm) room, instead leaving you to raid the water on the minibar. The only other downside is their payment system. I offeredy card on arrival for pre-authorisation, as usual and then settled my bill on departure. This morning I find that my bill has been taken fromy account whilst the pre-authorisation lingers for a few days more... I can see this presenting a problem for some.

It's not a problem I've encountered anywhere else and is a little frustrating an end to an otherwise wonderful experience.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank StaffsMark
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

There is a lot to love about Velvet, but a couple of things prevent it from being world class;

1. Staffing.
On my arrival I checked in at reception. I mentioned my heavy case at the bottom of the stairs. This was met with a blank look. I gave up and went to lug it up the steep stairs myself, whilst the receptionist and what I assume was a member of housekeeping continued their conversation. Apart from this staff were courteous and accomodating, though breakfast appeared to be a bit of a palava - unsure of how to order things, the buffet thing appeared a bit pointless and ordering coffee took FOREVER. Never mind, the beds were comfy.

2. The location/noise.
The website makes a big fuss about warning you, so fair enough but I would re-iterate to anyone who is staying on business or not going out themselves that even during the week this is worth considering. Manchester's Canal Street is NOT quiet (nor should it be) but don't stay here if you are relying on a good rest.

• Stayed December 2010
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

This hotel is amazing. Total value for money (£100 from laterooms), friendly staff, very reasonable mini bar (very very well stocked), amazing bathroom (double shower, nice and hot) nice sheets, decor etc.

The only minor let down (if you've got a lot of luggage, heavy laptop that kind of thing) is that there is no parking, you have to park at the NCP around the corner, for which you get 20% off.

The bar downstairs is pretty cool, decor/style is repeated here.

The restaurant below the bar offers a good range at a reasonable price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

This is a excellent hotel and is that bit different than any other hotel,The room's are fab and each room is different than the other, As you can see by my rating everything is excellent, we had breakfast which was the best ever english breakfast i have ever tasted,how ever i think it would be nice to have the breakfast included in the price as this beautiful hotel doesn't come cheap,but this would never stop me booking here or recomending it as if you want quality you pay for it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

The Velvet Hotel is a hidden Gem & I only stumbled across it on tripadvisor despite living in Manchester for nearly 2 years. I booked via laterooms for my husbands 30th birthday & the whole experience was fantastic!
The staff couldn't have been more helpful, allowing me to reserve a specific room after viewing photos despite not booking with them directly. This helpful attitute continued throughout our stay from the receptionist patiently directing us to the door after our Sat Nav got us lost to the finer details of complementary drinks on arrival & replenished cookies, sweets, fresh milk, ice & sliced citrus fruit at all times.
Our room stunning & the bath was big enough for a party! The food is incredible too & if you shop around, you can get breakfast included in your room deal!
The only downside was the noise on the Friday evening both from the clubs outside & our noisy neighbours upstairs who decided to re-arrange their furniture from 4-8am whilst walking up & down their exposed floorboards in heels. Because the rooms have been stripped back to reveal beautiful beams, steel work & natural flooring, it can be very noisy & voices echo through the rooms. Despite this, I would most definately recommend The Velvet Hotel & shall be returning in the near future... Just maybe not on a weekend :)

• Stayed January 2011
New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

Myself and ny wife had seen great reviews on trip advisor, we decided to choose this hotel to stay in on our wedding night , we checked in and stayed in the penthouse we were also greated with a bottle of champagne on ice. The staff were very nice and the penthouse was perfect we couldn't of asked for anything more.

We were soo happy with the hotel we went back last sep also although the reception wasn't as friendly and the breakfast staff were extremely rude, however the hotel is still top of my list and I would recommend to anyone who listens. We will be going back again this year . Top marks :-)

• Stayed September 2010