“Good enough”
Review of Commercial Hotel

Commercial Hotel
Ranked #26 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed here for just one night en route to Manchester Airport. My room, No 7, was ideal. A clean cosy bed, the all important kettle (!) and piping hot water, even at 4 am. My room had both a shower and a bath and for the short time I was there I couldn't have asked for more. Ok, it's not the Savoy, but for £25 upstairs in a local, you have all the basics. A bit dated but clean and quiet. Would stay again. Incidentally, at time of writing, a cab to the airport was £22. As I left at 4.30 I'm afraid I didn't find out about alternative methods of travel. Next stop Malta! See you there! ;-)

Room Tip: As the rooms are above a pub, you might be best to ask for a room at the top, because on the way dow...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kimmie737
There are newer reviews for Commercial Hotel

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Upon arrival, we weren't shown to our room, just given a key and given vague directions. It just got worse from there on. When we walked into ou twin en suite room, we laughed........it was either that or cry. The first thing that hit us was the smell, which we soon discovered was the extensive damp and leaking sink in the bathroom, which clearly had been left for a while and not tended to. The carpet was soaking wet through and we had to wear shoes to go in there, and the smell was so bad I nearly vomited when I went to the toilet. The shower curtain was dirty and paint work was appalling, in the room as well as the bathroom. In the bedroom, we tried to open the window to get rid of the smell and the 3 flies that were in there, only to find it was on it's last legs and the only way it would open was with one side 3 inches above the other. My friend's bedding was stained, along with all the towels. The only thing we could think of doing was changing and getting out as soon as possible as we were only there for a night out. Luckily, after pleading with our friend, we were lucky enough to secure a couch to sleep on for the night, as the thought of returning made us both want to eat our own eyes. The real kick in the teeth, is that not only do the owners have the nerve to sell this cess pit as a room, they have the audacity to charge £75 for the privilege! We would have complained at the time, but this was a last minute trip for us and as there was an event that weekend, we had already tried everywhere and this was the last resort. Also, the description on laterooms.com said it was 0.6 miles from where we wanted to be, turned out to be nearly 2 miles which meant a taxi. The only good thing remotely associated to this place, is that there is an NCP car park 5 minutes walk from there that only charges £8 for 24 hours, bargain. I wouldn't send a tramp to stay in there. I'd complain direct to them if I could find an email, probably why they don't have one........by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this hotel are best
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed one night at The Commercial in july. I hope none of you ever have to stay there! It is so old an dirty that it is not proper for any humans.. The staff was very laid-back and unfriendly. But the worst part was the room. Never seen anyhing that dirty. Heavy dirty carpets, also in the bathroom. The smell was awfull. Windows couldn't close. Beds Yoe really did not want to sleep. We left very early in the morning, just to get away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

After reading the negative reviews, it’s fair to say we were all a little apprehensive about what to expect at the Commercial Hovel. However, a stag party of 22 lads is never going to have too high expectations so how bad could it be.........

The Owner
Bernie (the trusting owner and suspected brother of Allo Allo star Gorden Kaye aka Rene Artois) gave us free reign on the place and we pretty much did as we pleased - This seemed to work well for us and him. Indeed, Bernie was so accommodating, he left us access to a minibar which we could use for a nightcap when we returned from an evening of festivities. 5/5

The Rooms
As we had all of the rooms booked, we had the run of the hotel for the weekend. It’s fair to say, the pictures above are pretty much standard across the board and all visitors should expect the same glorious retro features throughout....... Mould on walls/ceilings, cat flaps for bathroom doors, upside down doors, no hot water above the first floor and general level of decor which does not appear to have been updated since 1979, 3 years before Bernie won hotelier of the year..... I suspect this is when Bernie decided that you shouldn’t change a winning formula. 1/5

The Bar
Cheap and cheerful. A nice friendly place where everybody knows your name – Think cheers, only 20 years earlier. An estate agent might describe this as "in need of some modernisation" but it does the job. 3/5

Catering
As the catering seemed to go no further than a packet pran cocktail crisps, its not really fair to judge the hotel and the kitchen has clearly not been accessed in at least 4 years. No score awarded

Facilities
Bernie has made fantastic use of the available space by cunningly doubling the bar up as sauna. Guests can expect 24 hour access to the sauna and I'm sure that this fantastic idea will catch on in other hotels in the future. 5/5

The Commercial offers a truely unique experience which everyone should try at least once. Of our group of 22, only 1 said he would return again.... however, he is actually an alcoholic so his judgement is somewhat impaired.

Room Tip: Room 3's window remains open all by itself. All other rooms require a kettle to keep it open...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank David L
Reviewed 6 August 2012

On arrival at the commercial hotel I was a bit apprehensive to what i may find from reading others reviews. This concern was swiftly set aside as i was greeted by front of house/owner Bernie Lambreux (hotelier of the year 1982), a friendly Character who's experience and love of the hospitality trade shine through the smoked stained windows of the hotel bar like a beacon of hope.
The hotel was a real home from home, our room was well equipped and there was a bed. I was very very surprised at the level of cleanliness and Decor. There was a kettle so it was easy to keep the room ventilated and fresh.
Breakfast was basic but with a varied choice of ready salted, cheese and onion or Pran Cacktail with Dinner consisting of a choice of a vintage Chicken tonight,

Will definitely return for a visit in the future may even try the upside down themed room
(Themed rooms such as the upside down room, Hotel wrestling room, the 'sticky' carpet room)

value for money = money for Jam

Room Tip: Themed rooms such as the upside down room, Hotel wrestling room, the 'sticky' carpet room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank GavinHaw
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The commercial hotel was slammed on trip advisor so I was very wary but we (a mid twenties couple) thought it wasn't that bad, we only slept there as we'd been to a gig but it's a good place to put your head down. I wouldn't recommend for a romantic weekend away as it is in need of a serious make over it probably hasn't been touched since the 80's! We also had mold in our bedroom around some walls & bathroom!

The bar staff were so lovely & helpful, great location near tram station and great beer which was cheap too! You get what you pay for really but it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 2 July 2012

This hotel was clean and tidy, although basic which suited me as a lone traveller on a business trip. The rooms are above the pub, which seems to be a locals bar, an d although I was only on the first floor I was not troubled by noisel. Unfortunately, although the pub is friendly, there were no facilities to eat on site, However, being Manchester, there where plenty of places near by.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business