“Cheap & cheerful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 27 Manchester B&B and Inns
Chester
“Cheap & cheerful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Great location and great for people that like an 'old school' boozer! The owner and lady behind the bar (forgotten her name, sorry) were lovely, very welcoming and pull a great pint. The rooms are in need of a refurb admittedly, but if you want somewhere to sleep after a night on the town for a cheap price - they're ideal. It's not the Ritz, yet it's hardly 'third world' like some of these reviews suggest. You get give the run of the place, strange in this day and age to be given so much trust but a really nice touch, and much appreciated. Leave any snobbery at the door, go in have a drink or two and enjoy.

As a group of 4, we'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MoggyMorg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

Seemed like a nice family run place, friendly on the phone & took booking efficiently, so I stupidly recommended my friend to stay there. It was described as worse than third world conditions with the window wedged open with a tea cup, and milk in the kettle, my friend ended up cleaning the room & bathroom before actually living there!! The owner was rude and actually owned up to swindling me out of my refund as I was not covered by a contract as it was all done on the phone! Highly unpleasant man!! DON NOT STAY HERE IT IS A DIVE!

Room Tip: Really needs a good going over with Kim & Aggie! And maybe even some customer care advice!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ASRaza

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

This so called hotel is close to the Granada tv studios where I have been working, I normally use decent hotels like Holiday inn express but decided to try some cheaper hotels, booked through laterooms i paid £27.50, the hotel looked slightly grubby externally, check in staff were friendly enough but the room was shockingly grubby, the window did not fit into the frame so, curtains were hanging off the rail, general decor was as bad as I've ever seem and that includes hotels in 3rd world countries, the owner should be ashamed of himself for charging people for this standard of room, I asked for refund of prepaid money and was told that as it was booked through a third party this would not be possible, and the hotel was "what it is" whatever that is supposed to mean, well in my opinion it means disgusting hellhole, do not book this hotel for any money whatsoever, its awful.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon J
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Decent enough location. That is the only positive I can think of for this hotel right now.
I should have known better, and I wish I went with my gut feeling and not bothered. The price I paid for a hotel in Manchester I knew it wasn't going to be great but to sum it up this place is beyond terrible - and that would have been a fair description.
The room was damp, the services awful and the place had a terrible smell.
All in all - avoid, pay a little extra and get a decent place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed here for just one night en route to Manchester Airport. My room, No 7, was ideal. A clean cosy bed, the all important kettle (!) and piping hot water, even at 4 am. My room had both a shower and a bath and for the short time I was there I couldn't have asked for more. Ok, it's not the Savoy, but for £25 upstairs in a local, you have all the basics. A bit dated but clean and quiet. Would stay again. Incidentally, at time of writing, a cab to the airport was £22. As I left at 4.30 I'm afraid I didn't find out about alternative methods of travel. Next stop Malta! See you there! ;-)

Room Tip: As the rooms are above a pub, you might be best to ask for a room at the top, because on the way dow...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Kimmie737
Filey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Upon arrival, we weren't shown to our room, just given a key and given vague directions. It just got worse from there on. When we walked into ou twin en suite room, we laughed........it was either that or cry. The first thing that hit us was the smell, which we soon discovered was the extensive damp and leaking sink in the bathroom, which clearly had been left for a while and not tended to. The carpet was soaking wet through and we had to wear shoes to go in there, and the smell was so bad I nearly vomited when I went to the toilet. The shower curtain was dirty and paint work was appalling, in the room as well as the bathroom. In the bedroom, we tried to open the window to get rid of the smell and the 3 flies that were in there, only to find it was on it's last legs and the only way it would open was with one side 3 inches above the other. My friend's bedding was stained, along with all the towels. The only thing we could think of doing was changing and getting out as soon as possible as we were only there for a night out. Luckily, after pleading with our friend, we were lucky enough to secure a couch to sleep on for the night, as the thought of returning made us both want to eat our own eyes. The real kick in the teeth, is that not only do the owners have the nerve to sell this cess pit as a room, they have the audacity to charge £75 for the privilege! We would have complained at the time, but this was a last minute trip for us and as there was an event that weekend, we had already tried everywhere and this was the last resort. Also, the description on laterooms.com said it was 0.6 miles from where we wanted to be, turned out to be nearly 2 miles which meant a taxi. The only good thing remotely associated to this place, is that there is an NCP car park 5 minutes walk from there that only charges £8 for 24 hours, bargain. I wouldn't send a tramp to stay in there. I'd complain direct to them if I could find an email, probably why they don't have one........by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this hotel are best
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bornholm, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed one night at The Commercial in july. I hope none of you ever have to stay there! It is so old an dirty that it is not proper for any humans.. The staff was very laid-back and unfriendly. But the worst part was the room. Never seen anyhing that dirty. Heavy dirty carpets, also in the bathroom. The smell was awfull. Windows couldn't close. Beds Yoe really did not want to sleep. We left very early in the morning, just to get away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Castlefield Hotel
#5 of 81 in Manchester
Stay Deansgate Apartments
Stay Deansgate Apartments
#9 of 81 in Manchester

Been to Commercial Hotel? Share your experiences!