“Wonderful Afternoon Tea”

Price range: US$26 - US$60
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The dramatically glamorous surroundings of Opus One are a sharp riposte to the Italianate façade of the Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester in which it is situated. An extravaganza of red chandeliers, glossy black woodwork and antique gold wall hangings give this striking central Manchester restaurant a bold, vibrant ambience. Cuisine is fittingly modern British, with locally sourced produce dressed up in excitingly eclectic flavours.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Awesome atmosphere! We sat in the atrium area, right next to the street so we could people watch while eating. My friend ordered the savory gentalmans tea and I ordered the sweet afternoon tea. It was the perfect combination. We were full when we finished eating. Would absolutely go again while in Manchester. We were there July of 2012. I only picked September 2013 b/c I had no other choice.

Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear reviewer thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review on our afternoon teas. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed both our traditional and gentleman’s afternoon tea, and look forward to seeing you again soon in Opus One in the not too distant future. Peter

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went to Opus One on the 1st of August to treat a few friend while they were on a visit to Manchester.
We all opted for the savoury gentlemen's afternoon tea.
When it was brought to the table we were all suitably impressed.
On the top tier was a mini pork pie with chutney, mini Yorkshire pudding with roast beef and gravy.
And mini fish, chips and mushy peas.
On the middle tier was fruit and plain scones with preserves and clotted cream.
And on the bottom tier was a selection of savoury sandwiches.
We were all very happy with what we got, and it was certainly worth the money.
Opus One itself is a beautiful place to eat, drink and relax.

Would I go again. Oh yes.

Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Andrew M, Thank you for this great review of our gentleman's afternoon tea. I am delighted to hear this was a hit for you and your party. On your next visit why not join us for dinner as we have a wide selection of locally sourced specialities that I am sure would take to your taste. I hope to welcome you back again in the not so distant future. Kind regards. Peter.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great atmosphere, wide variety of drinks and cocktails.
Well managed and friendly staff
Open till late so it is also a wonderful place to have night caps when you return to the hotel

Dear reviewer, thank you for this kind review. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team and look forward to seeing you again soon here at Opus One. Kind regards. Peter.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The opus one experience was a lovely 4 course meal, with an appetiser thrown in. Each course was fantastic and dessert was divine.

Dear guest, I am delighted to hear you had a great time with us here at Opus One, on your next visit you must sample our afternoon tea! we hope to see you soon. Kind regards. Peter.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Had a delicious 'gentleman's afternoon tea' at Opus one today. A lovely selection of food all served well in a lovely setting, the food I would highly recommend. It was a shame that I couldn't mark it as excellent as was just slightly let down by the standard of service we received. After reading other reviews I can see this isn't usually a problem so maybe it was just an off day or a trainee member of staff but unfortunately it did impact on our lunch. We were initialled greeted by a welcoming gentleman who pointed us in the direction of our waitress who seated us and went through the menu, she then took our order, unfortunately our order was incorrect and we had to send one of the afternoon tea's back there was no apology or waiting time from our waitress, so whilst we waited our food was getting cold, we requested a new mug as there was a chip in one again it was slow service. It was such a shame as the food really was delicious. It certainly wasn't service with a smile and as the service charge was added to our bill at the end, only 10% but the service we received was well below par. I would return but would hope for an outstanding service if I'm paying for the service at the end of things!

Peter B, Manager at Opus One - Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear reviewer thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to Opus One. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your afternoon tea and the setting of the old Free Trade Hall made an impact on your experience. Please allow me to apologise if our service standards were not up to our usual par, as you have stated it is clear from our other reviews this is not our normal practice. I will be sure to discuss your comments with our team to ensure we keep to our award winning standards at all times. Please do not let this deter you from visiting us again in the near future as we hope to welcome your return. Kind regards. Peter Boyle.