“Rock of Ages”
Review of Palace Theatre

Palace Theatre
Ranked #27 of 189 things to do in Manchester
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Excellent show at a beautiful theatre. Staff where friendly and helpful. Beverages a bit pricey but that seems to be the standard in cinema and theatre. Old style theatre beautifully maintained. Loved it and would not hesitate to return

1  Thank Janette C

Reviewed 16 July 2014

When to see the "Carpenters Story" with my sister and bro in law,back in May.....a wonderful show
with all the hits.The girl who played the Karen Carpenter role was absolutely fantastic..she completely "nailed it". A show I would certainly go and see again.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I recently visited the Palace Theatre to see Penn & Teller as a birthday present. The show itself was a great experience I'd recommend to anyone interested in the art of magic, illusions and comedy, but I ended up finding it quite difficult to watch from the not so Grand Tier.

Having not done any research on the venue and unsure if I'd been in the past, I didn't quite know what to expect. I wasn't even sure where we were sitting until I was actually sitting down (just!). I was told there was a legroom warning for a number of different seats that were available at the time but I imagined it wouldn't be quite so cramped! Leg movement was practically prohibited, I had to assume uncomfortable positions to see past other's heads, I was bumping elbows with neighbors and it was fairly far away anyway due to it being the top tier (binoculars were available to hire in-seat for £1. I don't think you got it back).

Perhaps I haven't been in enough theatres to know that seating like this is common. Likely more popular in the higher tiers and older theatres, but I don't think anyone should have to pay good money for seats like ours when they just want to enjoy themselves. Other seats might be fine as other reviewers have mentioned, just be wary of the Gods!

We also had an annoying guy behind us who kept verbally agreeing and laughing at everything that was said in the show as if he was in a conversation. Perhaps the legroom drove him insane...;)

1  Thank UltimateChadsta
Reviewed 3 July 2014

By pure coincidence we were in Manchester to assist to a concert in the Arena, and while walking around in the city we saw this theater, and that day they were presenting THE BEATLES LET IT BE! We were in a celebration mood, and we like their music (just like many millions people around the world), so we bought the tickets. This was a highlight in our Manchester's trip, the show was excellent!! We enjoyed every minute of it! And even more fun was to see youngsters along with some old uptight people dancing and singing all those classics.
Now, am I supposed to talk about the theater itself? Well, it is an old building, so it has its charm. It is well preserved and sits were comfortable enough, plus the scenery was good.
We just enjoy the show a lot!!

1  Thank ramdiabreu
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We went to see Penn & Teller. I'd not been to this theatre before, we booked seats in the stalls. They were very good, comfy and plenty of leg room. I had booked an isle seat just in case but there was no need and I could have happily sat anywhere in the row. The staff were genuinely very helpful. All together a well run operation.