“Superb location for MEN Arena and city centre - but be wary of the food service issues!”

Park Inn by Radisson Manchester, City Centre
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
North West Britain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night on 2 April 2010 as a base for a concert event at the MEN Arena and a shopping trip the next day. The location couldn't be bettered for the arena - literally a 90 second walk across the road junction outside the hotel door.

While on the theme of location, one or two reviews have suggested the hotel isn't central - I beg to differ. Leaving the hotel, simply walk over the road/rail bridge adjacent to the MEN Arena car park and turn right past the entrance to Victoria Station...that's it. You are then in the large area of the more upper-crust shops that are on the perimeter of the Arndale Centre. You may find the hotel to be too far from the city centre if you have mobility difficulties or an aversion to walking for even 5 minutes, but otherwise it's no problem at all.

Check in was speedy and friendly. Our 4th floor room was clean and comfortable with a large walk-in shower rather than a bath (no issue for us on this trip, but something you may wish to note). It wasn't especially warm when we arrived in it but a quick tweak of the aircon sorted that.

As it was mid-afternoon, and we didn't want to eat too close to the concert start, or afterwards, we decided on a meal there and then in the hotel brasserie called "rbg". We had no difficulty in obtaining a table and the service was competent rather than especially warm, from a slightly severe young lady. We had no rush to be anywhere or do anything, so the 20/25 minute wait for a cheese burger and a chicken ceasar salad in a near-deserted restaurant was no big issue, but slightly surprising and an echo of the difficulty other reviewers have experienced in the restaurant. Having said that, the food was good - my wife was enthusiastic about the salad, which had clearly been prepared from fresh rather than whipped out of the fridge. However, the suspicion of lurking food service issues was confirmed at what could only be described as the undiluted chaos of breakfast the following day.

We took breakfast at the neither early nor late time of around 08:45. The restaurant and adjacent bar area were being used for diners. A major football match was also being played that day, it was Easter weekend and so we need to recognise that the hotel was clearly busy. Queues for the breakfast buffet were very considerable and at the exact moment we arrived at the buffet, everything cooked, and I mean everything, ran out. Kitchen and waiting on staff tried bravely to replenish but the odds (i.e. huge numbers of diners and pitiful numbers of staff) were against them. We did eventually manage to obtain some breakfast but by this time the queues at the buffet and at the restaurant entrance desk were biblical in proportion. The guy who should have been at the entrance desk was too busy clearing tables, but this was possibly also a deliberate crowd-control measure - had the entrance queues been allowed in and joined the buffet queue, I suspect there would have been a fairly good representation of Bolshevik food riots. The mood was becoming ugly enough.

The reasons seemed glaringly obvious to me; primarily too few staff - there were manifestly insufficient restaurant staff and I'm sure the same must have applied in the kitchen. Secondly, the restaurant area was too small for the numbers of diners. Obviously, designers work on average numbers not extreme numbers, but this time matters were seriously out of kilter.

So, would I use the hotel again? Yes, definitely, if I was attending another MEN Arena event and probably if I simply wanted a comfortable, reasonably priced, city centre hotel. Would I risk planning to have my dinner there? No chance...and I'd be up for breakfast at 6:00 a.m!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Manannin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

We were quite pleased with our recent stay at this hotel; it was clean, comfortable, and very close to the City Centre and activities that we wanted to do for the weekend. Unfortunately I came down with a terrible case of food poisoning so ending up spending the majority of my weekend away in the hotel room! I wasn't so sure when we first checked it as the member of staff dealing with us was so brisk and unbothered I thougth we were going to get rather poor service. Turns out this was just a one off. My boyfriend went to ask the front desk if they had any herbal tea as I was ill and they went and raided their own personal supplies. He also ordered food from room service which was quick and really tasty (burger and wedges) with very nice service.
The only awkward bit was that as we had booked it online I was given a reciept to say that I had paid for both nights, when in fact the bookings team had only taken payment for our first night, so I had to pay for the second upon check out. I disputed this with the lady at reception who very kindly allowed me to check my online banking and sure enough they had only charged me for one night - but still seems like a very odd procedure.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Great new hotel, in a good location, close to the Arena, friendly staff, good value for money

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed here for two nights in January. One night with friends who had also booked rooms and second night with my boyfriend. Cannot fault this hotel at all-service excellent! Everytime we required anything they were up at our rooms in minutes-for example my room was quite cold (the heater in the room didn't appear to be working properly in my room however my friends who also stayed in other rooms were fine), however it was a cold, snowy weekend and they brought up an extra heater, we requested an iron and ironing board which we had brought up very quickly, and as i was staying for two nights i called reception to ask if i could have my roomed cleaned whilst i went to eat breakfast the next day, and when i got back the room was spotless and clean!! Rooms are clean, tidy and the beds are very comfortable. Central location as opposite the MEN arena, and there is plenty of parking close by. I would recommend the NCP £3.50 for 24 hours (if there is a concert on at the MEN this increases to £9.00 for 24 hours). However there is plenty of un-secured parking close by for as little as £2.50 for 24 hours. Breakfast is lovely (hot and cold), plenty of choice. Also there is a nice gym, spa and swimming pool with sauna and steam room.

Would definately reccomend this hotel if staying in Manchester

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

Stayed here after travelling down to see Depeche Mode at the MEN Arena.

The location couldn't be better for a quick stroll over to the MEN. However, thats where it ends....

The room seemed very nice at first, but a closer look revealled it to be cheaply furnished in a tacky, Ikea-like way. The chair was so flimsy I was afraid to sit on it, and the double bed was actually two singles pushed together forming an uncomfortable lumpy ridge. Not really any good for loving couples(!)

Snow was forecast and temperatures had fallen to sub-zero, so I was concerned to find that it was impossible to get the fancy air-con gizmo to produce heat. It just flashed error messages...... Reported this to reception, and 40 mins and 3 phone calls later,someone came to our room and confirmed that the heating wasn't working (thanks Einstein!) and told us that the maintenance man had gone home.... Waited another 25 minutes for a room move across the hallway to another room where.....errr.... the heating didnt work...!!......Gave up as it was already time to go to the concert.

The hotel itself has no car parking, and the nearby NCP car parks are little more than a derelict building site: Not locked, patrolled or covered by cameras. In fact, the area is so rough that I expected to find my car propped up on bricks in the morning, minus wheels, or missing......Although, the inclement weather probably kept even the most determined car thief at home that paticular night, the parking doesnt really give peace of mind and help you sleep well at night.

After a very cold night, was pleasantly surprised by the breakfast. An excellent quality and selection for what was, at the end of the day, an overpriced Travel Inn....
However, I still can't work out what the serving staff were saying when I asked them for coffee and what the receptionist said when I checked out... Some local English-speaking staff would have been nice as we were visiting England after all!

Thought the advance booking rate of £89 was expensive enough, but I noticed that the normal price is around £165. I would certainly have been completely hacked-off had I paid that much to sleep in the freezer section of Ikea!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WorldBreeze
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

The hotel was lovely and was excellent for the MEN Arena. They map on the website is useless - if you google the same place it only shows you a building site, which makes it hard to know if you have the right place on the map - it took us half an hour to find it.
Check-in staff seemed ok - still haven't a clue what they said to me. They have vending machines in the hall-way, which would be handy if you have an endless amount of funds - £1 for a small packet of crisps or a chocolate bar is a bit too much. The machine in our hall didn't work, which I was glad about - stops them getting money for nothing. Go to the garage up the road at the back of the hotel - their prices are less of a trauma!
The restaurant was way over priced - £20 for a steak, £9 for a burger and £2.50 for what was supposed to be chunky chips but were in fact about 6 potato wedges in a silly little basket. Not sure how you could keep the sauce in!
The room has tea and coffee making facilities - you get 4 little packs of milk, 4 sachets of sugar and 6 each of tea and coffee. Tried to call house-keeping, front desk and even the restaurant to try get some more stock, but gave up after 20 minutes when I realised no-one was going to answer.
So, take your own supplies, shop for snacks anywhere else and eat out!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
northern ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

Great hotel, very friendly staff and great if you r going to a concert as the men arena is just 2 min away... there is a great buzz about the place when there is a concert on..
rooms very clean. was a bit worried as my room was facing the road but i never heard a thing. it was a perfect stay and will be going back very soon..

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family