“Lovely museum shame some of it was closed”

The Manchester Museum
Ranked #6 of 189 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: The Manchester Museum is home to an array of treasures from the natural world and the many cultures it is home to. Highlights include a T.rex and fossils of other pre-historic creatures, ancient Egyptian artefacts and live amphibians and reptiles. You can handle objects from the collection, take part in hands-on activities or enjoy a glass of wine of cup of coffee whilst exploring the latest ideas in science, culture and the arts.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Great visit again today lovley museum and free! however sad to find the dinosaur lower level closed at 3pm for a wedding. Main reason for our visit and my 3 children always save the best until last! As we entered via the cafe we did not see the 1 a4 size poster explaining the closure and had to explain to my children aged 3-8 why they could not see the dinosaur. Such a Shame there was no better signage in place? Or at least 1 or 2 more?
Totally understand the need to take bookings to generate revenue etc. But still disappointing.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We made the trip partly because my eldest was going to be studying ancient Egypt after returning to school after the break, and partly because we love this museum.
Entry is FREE. Which is a big draw for us, having three children to pay for otherwise. The exhibits are well structured and informative and with exhibitions ranging from ancient Egypt, to the natural world, space to dinosaurs, there is definitely something for everyone.
One thing I really must rave about is how well stocked the shop is. There are plenty of "pocket money" items, but rather than the usual tat that has nothing to do with the place visited, (my son once bought a toy helicopter from a school visit to a farm!) The shop at the museum stocks relevant pocket money souvenirs; for instance, we purchased an egyptian papyrus for 50p and a scarab beetle model for £1.

2  Thank SesGee
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Lovely visit suitable for all he family, and best of all its FREE so much to see there you need a good couple of hours to get around all the different exhibits a favourite of my nephew was Stan the T-Rex tho he thoroughly enjoyed the whole place and was interesting for him to see all the different things and learn about it all from the informative descriptions within the displays very good day out

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Visited one Sunday with my parents and 10 year old niece. The museum was reasonably busy but not overwhelming.
The museum's collections are interesting and varied and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. The Egyptology collection, my favourite, is vast and fascinating as is the natural history section.
I particularly enjoyed the live vivarium - the collection of species is amazing and the displays are excellent.
Can't comment on the restaurant as it was much too busy but the food smelled good!
Don't think that I saw everything that the museum had to offer as our time was limited but I would definitely return to experience it again.
Tip for a weekend visit: the museum's multi-storey car park is only £1 for the day.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've been visiting Manchester Museum for many years, I'd go in between lectures whilst at Uni here and also on days out with family and friends when they'd visit so I've seen a lot of the different exhibits they show and it remains my favourite place in Manchester. The taxidermy section is good for its size though I preferred it before the refurb and the Vivarium is good and quite unique for a museum but in my opinion looks almost exactly the same as it did before. All in all a good museum and a good place to visit either solo or with others.