“Shambles”

The Lass O' Gowrie
Ranked #354 of 2,254 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, European
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
“Shambles”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I have lived in or near Manchester all my life and regularly used to visit many of the bars in this area including the Lass, as stated by several people it is a shame to see the decline of this previously much loved pub.
The management staff here are extremely unhelpful and abrasive and for the prices that are charged you would expect some level of service..
Needless to say I won't be returning and shall stick with the other bars which are only a stones throw away and have far more reasonable prices and pleasant staff.
R.I.P a once great iconic bar.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Visit now - I fear you won't be able to soon.”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This pub is a Manchester landmark. Twenty years ago (in my student days) it was a busy pub that brewed its own ale.
Now, with the BBC building gone and all pubs struggling, I fear this place is struggling. The cool cabinets all empty, most of the ales were "off" and no gin! The place was empty on Saturday night. The pints we had were OK and I still like the quirky layout.
Go now. I don't see how it can continue like this so you may not have the chance soon. What a shame.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank trecynon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great to see pubs like this still going strong”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We visited for a cheap Sunday lunch and a few pints and really liked the place. It is quirky, geeky cool as we noticed from the arcade games and retro gaming gear on display. There was an offer on Sunday lunches...2 for £12..of which we took advantage. The food, although not first class,was hot and tasty. Great selection of real ale and whiskeys. Interesting menu and decor and my other half liked the Simpson's pinball machine. Having a look around it was clear than many events take place there which I think is great. We will be back!

P.S The signed 'Ideal' canvas is awesome (if anyone likes that program as much as I do it's worth a visit to see it!)

• Visited October 2013
Greatzini, Owner at The Lass O' Gowrie, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
That's hugely kind, my thanks.
“A tale of woe”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

For any service-provider to sink so low would be disappointing, but when we're talking about an iconic pub which used to have a superb reputation, things are really getting serious.

I first went in the Lass O'Gowrie on Charles Street as a 'wet behind the ears' student in 1984. Despite my evident naivety, I knew the 'Lass' was a pub well ahead of its time. With its in-house brewery, the real ale was top notch. Customers could even see the workings of the brewery through a glass window.

Move forward 29 years and the 'Lass' is in a pitiful state. The brewery was closed some years ago and, if the management aren't careful, the pub itself will follow suit.

Gone is the excellent service; gone is the full menu; gone is any semblance of hygiene in the loos and disappearing fast is the pub's excellent reputation.

The latest episode in the Lass O'Gowrie's tale of woe took place on Sunday. During the Manchester derby - an extremely important foitball match - when most pubs are full, the 'Lass' managed to run out of real ale. Added to that, there was only one meal on offer on the menu which they also ran out of. A vegetarian friend had to make do with potatoes and vegetables because there wasn't even a vegetarian option.

Given my long-standing connections with this pub, I wish I were making this up. Alas I'm not. The truth is that this pub has been in decline for some years. Sunday's problems are the culmination of years of mismanagement.

You might have thought that, with the relocation of BBC Manchester to Media City, the pub's manager would be fighting tooth and nail to attract customers. Sadly, there's absolutely no evidence of that.

Pubs are community assets. We should protect the good ones and not allow anyone to run them in to the ground. If anyone cares about Manchester's cultural heritage, then let's hope they tackle the Lass O'Gowrie problem.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank RedTom64
Stockport, United Kingdom
“No beer!!! Dry food. No vegetarian option.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Came here on 22nd September 2013 to watch big local game between Man City & Man Utd. At 1:30pm was told no food available until 2:00pm. Went to the bar to order, was told the entire menu was off apart from Sunday dinner. Ordered for two people, one of whom is a vegetarian. No vegetarian option available, not even vegetarian gravy so he had dry food - a disgrace for a pub that markets itself to a young, diverse, hip clientele. My word the food was dry,, the chicken was like cardboard and the potatoes like polystyrene. The measly Yorkshire pud clearly a pre-packaged product. Gravy was watery and nothing more than a stock cube with water.

The highlight was the beer i.e. real ale. 5 pumps turned around i.e. run out. Nonetheless the "Golden Sheep" was fine, until about 4.45pm when we found they'd run out - yes, one of Manchester's premier real ale pubs had run out of ale!

This pub was amon the award winners in 2008, 2009, 2010, as they boast on one of the window blinds. But its not surprising that they're not winning awards now. I wish this report were a one-off but this place has been declining for a long, long time and it is sad to see that the owners are letting bad manegers or, worse, themselves, run this once fine pub down.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank 339Rich
I refer my honourable friend to the response given to his friend above.