“If you like decent service, AVOID this hotel at all costs.”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Ranked #54 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“If you like decent service, AVOID this hotel at all costs.”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I had my reservation booked and was hoping to stay at this hotel for a few nights in March. On my first night of arrival, they could not find my booking. Even with a print out of my actual booking, they advised that it was not on their system and as they were fully booked, they would not accommodate me. After some further questions from me, the receptionist appeared completely unsympathetic to their issue. I had to find another hotel for the night.

Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. Note that if you want to know that you are booked into this hotel, regardless of you having a confirmation that you are booked in, I would recommend you either call the hotel to check again or have another hotel in mind in case you face the same 'system glitch' as I did.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear LainCoubert345,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Noisy from trains and other guests. I was given a disabled access room which was huge but had a wet room which didn't drain. So thee water from the shower went everywhere and I couldn't go back in the bathroom without getting soaked trousers and feet. The wash basin was also tiny and at wheelchair height so it was tricky to wash or brush teeth without getting water down me!

• Stayed March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I originally booked through Hotels.com, who mis-sold me a room with a walk-in shower, which I needed for myself and my disabled mother. Graham Worrall the guest service manager and his assistant Mark immediately rang Hotels.com, got my money refunded, and re-booked me into a disabled accessible room for my mother, and a free room for me as her carer. Hotels.com then re-booked the room on my card without authorisation, so Graham had to go into battle again on my behalf to get this rectified! Graham and Mark were courteous and helpful, asking if I wanted a tea or a drink when I was upset by the wrong bookings by Hotels.com. On our first morning Graham made a point of coming over to check that my refund had come through, and that my mother and I were comfortable! Everyone we met at the hotel was friendly and helpful, which made it a pleasure to stay there.

rossendale, lancs
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Our stay got off to a bad start. I'd booked 3 rooms, and visited personally a few days before to ask for them to be close to each other, and quiet, away from lifts. (traveling with elderly and small children). We were on 2 different floors, and one room was opposite a lift.
Right - grump over. Apart from the room allocation hassle the stay was great. I think I'd just got a trainee or hopeless newbie when I made my request, as the rest of the staff were enormously helpful - Graham in particular. Their efficient friendly attitude, the spotless comfy rooms and fresh, simple but well laid out breakfast made this an excellent stay. Fortunately there were no noisy late arrivals in the lift, and the hotel allowed us to store our luggage(and subsequent shopping! after check out while we went to see a show. Will definitely use again

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher in the hotel to minimise street noise.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Spent 1 night in the hotel on a busy trip.
Unfortunately the hotel is located next door to an incredibly noisy club/pub. The noise was unbearable & went on until after 2am, impopssible to sleep.
I did contact reception who were very apologetic, but couldn't offer another room as they were fully booked.
However that would only have helped if the room was at the front of the hotel. The hotel backed onto a small canal as did the club (on the direct opposite side of the canal to the hotel), the construction in the immediate area is highish buildings on either side of the narrow canal thus creating a narrow tunnel effect. Thus the noise just reverberates along the "tunnel", any room on the back of the hotel would be effected.
I am chartered surveyor & to me the quality of the double glazing was not good, you could clearly here the party goers conversation!!
Hotel very clean & good size room.
Breakfast poor
They could learn a lot from Premier Inn, Oh & of course move the hotel.....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Frost62,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am sorry that on this day you were inconvenienced by the noise levels experienced and the breakfast served did not live up to standards. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
N.Ireland
Reviewed 13 March 2013

From early check in when we left our bags til leaving bags on day of checkout everything was great. About 10 mins wlk from city centre but on all main bus routes, Airport bus every 10 mins frm across road. Complimentary breakfast more tan enough.

Room Tip: We had 409 on side street, Fairly quiet.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were greeted with warm, welcoming smiles by the reception staff who were also very helpful with our enquiries about the city. Our room was on the 8th floor and we both have to admit to finding the floor to ceiling windows a little daunting but other than that the room was very comfortable and well furnished; small couch, comfy bed, choice of firm and soft pillows, tea tray, hairdryer and toiletries. The bathroom was outstanding in decor and cleanliness.
The buffet breakfast was served in a dining area adjacent to reception and was well stocked with a good selection of hot and cold items.
Parking is within a short walk (£15 24hrs) and the hotel was well placed for our evening at The Ritz. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you suffer from vertigo, or have a fear of heights ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple