“Beautiful building”

Ranked #1 of 182 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to The John Rylands Library, one of the world's finest collections of rare books and manuscripts. The John Rylands Library is part of The University of Manchester. Please note that we open at 12noon on Mondays and Sundays
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Beautiful building”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Free entry, and absolutely beautiful architecture - well worth a look, especially as it is so close to the city centre.

1 Thank Ali B

• Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A celebration of the book”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Awe inspiring collection of historical documents. Made me think what a tregedy it would be to lose this kind of a treasure. Worth the trip.

1 Thank GwenVancouver2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Beautiful building. Our third visit and have noticed different things each time. Don't miss the original toilets.
Food here too is very good value.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not just for tourists”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I'm 33. I live in Manchester. Up until 5 years ago, I'd never really known of the library, and when I did I had this vision of 2 rooms with really old books inside it and dare I say it, thought it sounded a little pretentious with it's "you can't take a book out policy". However it keeps appearing in the top attractions in Manchester. Whilst in the city centre for meal we had a bit of spare time and took a look around the library. I came away knowing why this is popular. It's a magnificent building. More like a church/town hall style building but it has some great displays on, and the reading rooms are something you'd want in your home. In the main library, books that are older and larger than anything I'd ever seen make you think a) what's in them b) what kind of person reads through them. You imagine it's a great place for the intelligent thinker to read. It's free and worth a visit.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Manchester1894
Roswell, Georgia
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,390 helpful votes
“Truly British library”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We decided to visit this library on a few-hours-long stay in Manchester on our way to Portugal. It was a good way to pass the time, but I don't think I would have paid money for it. Honestly the building and the actual library set-up were more interesting than the displays. I don't even really remember what exhibits were out at the time. I did love walking around the older part of the building, with its vaulted ceilings and gloomy, very British-feeling dark interiors. The building reminded me of a smaller version of the Hogwarts library and the Beauty & the Beast library (yeah, I know, lame to compare to movies, what's the world coming to, etc., etc.). I never made it to the reading room of the British Library in London, but from what I've heard, that is more worth your time. If you have time to kill in Manchester, the John Rylands Library is worth a visit, especially since it's free.

The gift shop did have a pretty interesting selection of trinkets and books. Worth browsing through.

* If you like my review, I appreciate you clicking the 'helpful' button; those of us who take the time to write reviews live for those and it motivates us to do more :) *

Visited June 2014