“Good Cheesy Fun”
Review of Gay Village

Gay Village
Ranked #26 of 188 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Centered around the Canal street area in Manchester is a thriving gay scene, which offers a plethora of bars, clubs, restaurants and other nighttime venues for gays and straights alike.
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Always a great night my personal fav is AXM as i love the DJ. the music is fun and cheesy. AXM has cheap drinks and quick friendly service

1  Thank emma c

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Quite a few door men/women stopped me going in a few bars as I wasn't 'gay' or wasn't a 'member' even though I gave been before and never asked for a membership card. How can you be stopped from going in a bar because you aren't gay. Can you imagine the fuss if gay people were stopped from going in a bar because of their sexuality. How pathetic I don't get it at all. Anyway I will be going again as I have gay friends who invite me, I do seem to be allowed in when with them ........ Sort it out, we all want to be in a prejudice free world and be allowed to go where we please, if it is members only then fine but you can't decide that on the night.

4  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

I've had quite a few nights out in the village. Some nights in a mixed group and others with just the girls. If you've never been before, there are about 15 bars spread on and around Canal Street which is, surprisingly, next to one of Manchester's famous canals. The village is now a night out for everyone not just for the gay population. It is a popular destination for Hen parties and they're welcome in most bars (I've heard on some nights they refuse hens and fancy dress) and you will spot a drag queen or two whilst wandering from bar to bar! My favourites bars to visit are View, TriBeCa and Barr Bars! They're always fun and fairly cheap. There's not many other places in Manchester where you can easily go between bars except for the chavvy Printworks or the lovely but expensive Deansgate Locks. This makes it a very popular destination and its very busy on a Saturday night. The village could do with some new bars to breathe new life in to the place as I feel as though we go in the same ones over and over but maybe we're not looking hard enough!
Now for my only negative of the village - as a straight person I feel prejudiced on occasions. This is usually in the form of being ignored in favour of overtly gay punters at the bar in some places and being refused entry to some venues in particular G-A-Y. Even when I'm with gay friends who aren't obviously gay and i'm fairly sober I get refused by the female bouncers (always the same bouncer) and they can be quite forceful and verbally aggressive I we ask them why (apparently you have to be a member!?) If a typically "straight" venue treated people like this they'd be sued for discrimination! However I don't let it bother me (because it really doesn't) and continue my night elsewhere. A few other things to look out for are gypsy women selling flashing things (they pester you!), being asked for ID everywhere as they're strict and the cobbles if you're wearing heels! Other than that it's a great place to go for a fun filled night and there is rarely any trouble.

2  Thank h0lidayl0ver2011
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Went to a couple of bars on Canal St. & had a really good night. So friendly a crowd & fantastic selection of music to suit all ages. No macho 'wot you lookin' at' brigade, just a peaceful fun filled night without the aggro you sometimes find in non-gay bars, and there were no gay/lesbian in our company either!
Will definitely return!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Fun for all. All welcome, all ages 18+ Take the teenage kids safe for all. Stay up late and enjoy the early morning entertainment. Stay at one of the many reasonable hotels in Manchester. Dance the tables, on the tables music and fun 4 alll