“Can't fault hotel. It's just a shame about some guests”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #52 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Can't fault hotel. It's just a shame about some guests”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We left this hotel this morning after spending the night here. We cannot fault the hotel at all, it was clean and staff were polite. Night staff were really helpful.
Sadly our overall experience here was not brilliant but that was entirely because of inconsiderate, noisy guests. We were woken up several times in the night because other guests were shouting out of their windows at 1 am! Others were running around corridors at 3 am! The night staff were informed and spoke with the guests straight away. We had an early wake up call too, this again was because of noisy guests who were checking out (7am).

My only recommendation to anyone looking to book, please check with hotel to find out if they have any large groups / students booked at the time you are looking to stay! It just might save you late nights, broken sleep and early morning wake up calls!

• Stayed August 2013
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear DAD1972

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry to learn that you were disturbed by other guests during the night. We generally aim to locate groups together and away from other guests where can so as to limit disruption, I'm sorry that this was not achieved during your stay.

I am pleased that you were able to contact our nights team about the disturbance and that they were able to assist you immediately.

I invite you to contact me directly at reservations@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk before your next visit and we would be delighted to allocate you a room in an area of the hotel that is usually the quietest.

Guest Services Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Myself, 2 friends and 2 11 year olds booked to stay here on the 10th August for 1 night to go and watch a match at old Trafford, upon arrival we were greeted with the friendliest staff, who were more than informative about directions to old Trafford and local shops. Our rooms were spacious and very clean. Loved the 24 hour menu availed, as we didn't get back to the hotel until 22.40, we were able to have a snack and go to bed. The breakfast was fantastic and more than just a continental breakfast which is what was offered on the booking site. Breakfast tables were cleared promptly and it was a fantastic stay! We will definitely be coming back to stay with you!! :)

Dear Kezzakin

Thank you for taking the time to create such a detailed and positive review of your recent stay with us. We put a big emphasis on customer service here and I am glad the team here were able to make your stay a very enjoyable one. I will make sure your comments are passed on to them.

We look forward to your next visit.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I am unable to understand some of the negative comments about this hotel. We stay here every time we are in Manchester - we stay for pleasure and not business and therefore it is our own money we are using and not some expense account .
The staff here are very good indeed, so friendly and helpful - each and every one of them are a credit to the company.
The hotel is presently undergoing a major refit and will be finished soon and is looking great. The reception/bar area lounge/breakfast room have been re fitted and look very good.
I reviewed this hotel earlier in the year, we were very pleased with it then and are even more so now, rather than simply repeat what I said in my previous review can I suggest that you check it out.
We take our little dog with us as the hotel is dog friendly ( she has impeccable manners ) and the staff are always pleased to see her.
This is a very good hotel and I give it my recommendation - but try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyTravellers222
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear HappyTravellers222

Thank you for posting such a positive and kind worded review. I am delighted that the team here do a great job in making your visits so enjoyable, I will share your comments with them at our next team meeting. I am also pleased that you are impressed with the works so far to renovate the accommodation. The majority of the rooms are now complete and the remainder will be ready very soon.

We enjoy your continued custom and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

I booked a double room last minute. On arrival the guy on the reception just laughted at my face and told, there is no more double room left, so you can take a twin... We left the hotel, cause that is not we wanted. The guy was very rude and unpolite... Not helpful at all. If you can save yourself from this hotel!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Pacsito

I am rather alarmed by your comments with regards to your recent booking at our hotel. We receive many positive reviews and comments with regards to the level of customer service offered by the team here and it is something that we train and monitor very heavily in all of our staff. I would be very surprised if a member of our team deliberately laughed in your face and I hope that this is nothing more than a misunderstanding.
That said, we have obviously not lived up to your expectations and there seems to be an issue with your reservation. I would welcome the opportunity to investigate this issue further and I will contact you privately for some further information.

London
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Ok, I have to say the actual hotel was nice and the complimentary breakfast was good. The bed was quite comfortable and the whole place was clean and well kept. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. There is a restaurant next door and a fast food takeaway a few hundred yards away. SO why only two stars? let me tell you there are two reasons.

1. NONE of the fire alarms were working. They all had orange post-it notes stuck on them reading 'Not in Use'. How can a hotel even be open with no working fire alarm system in place!!!!
2. I thought I was in a hotel not the Malawi Embassy. Why is there a room marked as the Malawi High Commission /Passport Processing in my hotel?????

I took some pictures as I was so shocked at both of these things. Please look at them and if you are thinking of staying here think twice if the fire alarm issue is not resolved!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear honee44

I'm afraid to say that your review is both factually incorrect and very misleading.

Our fire alarm system has recently undergone routine maintenance. As part of this, a very small number of our 26 call points were placed temporarily out of order while they were upgraded - not all of them as you have stated, and all others were in full working order. The call points that were temporarily out of action were clearly marked and alternate call points were a safe distance away. During this period, all other fire detection systems and fire alarm were working perfectly. All of our systems are systems are now back to 100% efficiency and have been for some time.
We take the safety of our guests extremely seriously and all of our safety systems are regularly and routinely inspected, both internally and externally.

Our meeting rooms are also available for any legitimate individual, business, or organisation to hire. As such, they are used for a wide variety of purposes and we do not unfairly discriminate against who we accept as customers.

Should you wish to further discuss your stay with us, I can be contacted at reservations@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed here 1 night whilst visiting family in Sale. The hotel is only 5 mins off the ring road so very convenient if anywhere in Manchester area.
The hotel was in the middle of being decorated and our room was spotless apart from carpet that unfortunately was a little grubby although I think this is a problem found in most hotels.
The actual surrounding area is not the best but that should not put you off.
There is a bar/resteraunt right next door that appeared to serve decent meals. and although I have read some indifferent reviews about the service etc. we found it to be fine. There is a McDonalds 2 mins away also.
Back at the hotel the staff were fine with no probs checking in or out.
The breakfast was fine but the hot items were limited with only sausage, beans and eggs on offer, this said it was sufficient considering it was in with the price of the room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Dave C

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. As you have said, our rooms are currently undergoing a process of redecoration which, amongst other things, will result in a brand new carpet in each room.
We do have a restaurant on site that serves evening meals between 6pm and 10pm on a daily basis, with some items even available 24 hours a day. I hope that you may consider dining with us on your next visit. For our best available rates, including some excellent dinner packages, I recommend booking with us over the telephone.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Manchester East for 1 night on 22nd July 2013 and to be fair i cant fault the staff they were all lovely but we were next door to an incident that occured that kept us up all night and we had to change rooms at 3am and even then there were no triple rooms available so we got split up and one of us ended up in a room by ourselves (without going into too much detail) after being up all night i couldn't even face breakfast because of a panic attack so missed out on that and to top it off they still made us pay half the bill im very disappointed in this but couldn't argue this at the time because i felt so awful i just wanted to go home.

As i said though the staff are lovely and im sure it was just a wrong place at the wrong time but still i won't be coming back here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel D, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear katiekevinjackross

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at our hotel, however I am very sorry to read your comments. We did have an incident involving the behaviour of a fellow guest during your stay. Our trained staff worked swiftly to ensure that the situation was brought quickly under control. I believe that my colleague moved you to a floor away from the disruption that was caused, which unfortunately meant relocating your group across a number of twin rooms, one of which was complimentary as with it being a busy weekend our hotel had sold out of the family rooms which you had booked and none were available for you to move into. This was the only option available to us at the time.
At check out, a discount of 50% was offered and applied to your bill. This offer was accepted at time, however I am sorry to learn that this has left you feeling disappointed.

The incident that occurred is extremely rare for our hotel. I would hate to think you have been completely dissuaded from staying here again. Should you wish to discuss your visit further, I can be contacted at reservations@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk