“Comfy but a bit noisy”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #47 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for the Rugby League World Cup Final at Old Trafford. The hotel was comfy and clean enough, but the walls between rooms were a bit on the thin side and you could hear everything in the next room (and the room beyond that).

We went to the pub next door on the first night and it was pleasant enough with passable food. The breakfast on the Saturday morning in the hotel was OK, but the sausages did look as if they'd been heated up on more than one occasion. As a result, they were a bit on the tasteless side. Overall, this is not a bad hotel, I just wouldn't stay here if I were looking for a relaxing break.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear tourist57680

Thank you for your review. We welcome all feedback from our guests, with all comments given great consideration. I can assure you that the sausages we serve at breakfast are never heated more than once and that we operate to strict Food Safety and hygiene standards. That said, we are constantly looking for ways to improve the products and services that we have on offer. Clearly, something is not right if you were given a different impression. Your feedback will be reviewed and discussed with the relevant departments as appropriate.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Was here for two nights and had a couple of great nights sleep,the rooms were the usual,clean and comfortable,close to the motorways,the breakfast was good (still no bacon),and the manager Raman I think his name was,was excellent,cheery and helpful,I will definitely be back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Frankandviv

Thank you for your excellent review. Our team put a lot of effort into delivering an excellent level of customer service and it's always such a welcome boost when they receive praise such as yours. I will make sure that this is passed along to Rahan, and also the team as a whole.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as we we're visiting the car auctions a mile away. When we checked the receptionist told us the pub next door wasn't that great (we we're wondering if they wanted us to eat and drink in the hotel) but we give it ago and was probably a lot cheaper then the hotel itself. Rooms we're quite clean and tidy. Breakfast wasn't the best but it was free so couldn't really say more. Ideal for one night stays!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Whiteworxracing

I am delighted that your visit to our hotel was an enjoyable one. Along with providing an excellent level of customer service, the team here pride themselves on giving honest advice on the local area based on their own experiences, as well as feedback from previous guests.

Your comments are very welcome and will be shared with the whole team here. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We were visiting in the area for just one night ( a Saturday) so decided to give this a try after reading fairly positive reviews. This was our first experience of staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Initial impressions were the main public areas were clean, presentable and functional although a little on the small side considering the number of guest rooms. It only took a few family groups later in the evening to take up all of the lounge-style chairs and a lot of the tables in the main bar area. It is all open plan with a TV attracting football supporting guests.

Check-in was friendly and efficient and we were very happy to be able to check in earlier than the advertised time. We had a room for 3 adults on the second floor, sofa bed for the extra adult was made up and ready, but frustratingly only 2 mugs for tea/coffee with 2 tea bags, 2 coffee sachets etc supplied for 3 adults. Went to ask the chambermaid, who was cleaning in the room next door, for another mug and supplies but sadly she could understand no English at all. Had to sort out missing items downstairs.

Room itself was clean, warm and comfortable, fine for a one night stay.

Took a look at the in-house dining menu which offered fairly standard chain pub style food... curry, burger, chilli con carne, pizza, lasagne etc with one veggie and one fish option. Some items are listed as being available 24hours a day, such as chips, soup, pizza and curry of the day.

Went down in the evening to find quite a large queue forming at the very small bar service area. New member of staff was evidently finding it all a bit of a challenge. They offered a choice of 3 white wines. We tried the Sicilian dry white at £16.95 a bottle. Not a bad option. As for the food, we saw 3 people eating pizzas at one table and noticed that at lot of the pizza was untouched. When the waitress came to clear the plates she asked if all was OK to be told they had left one of the pizza's as it was really not nice. Then another table next to us called over the waitress to complain about an issue with their starters and once they finished their mains they were told that despite there being some nice sounding pudding options on the menu the only pudding option available that night was a simple bowl of vanilla ice cream! At this point we decided to eat elsewhere. Very few people were dining.

Retired to our room later that evening and hoped to settle down to a good nights sleep. However, some guests obviously had a different idea. There is no traffic noise due to its location away from the main roads, but we were constantly woken up by very loud voices/shouting/laughter in the corridors, banging of room doors etc until 4.40am!!! The next morning we were more than a little bleary eyed. We have stayed at MANY Manchester city centre hotels and had much quieter nights. Obviously the hotel cannot be held responsible for its noisy and in some cases inconsiderate clientele, but it is something to bear in mind if looking to stay at the weekend.

Parking was ample and free, with free wi-fi and a complimentary breakfast. Overall, if you are looking for a simple, fair priced option with warm, clean rooms for a single night then this is not a bad choice. Just wish I had my ear plugs with me!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear LucindaJB

Thank you for taking the time to compile such a detailed and comprehensive review. Your constructive feedback on all areas of our hotel is very welcome and will be discussed with all relevant department heads so that some of the disappointing issues that you encountered do not repeat.

I am sorry to read that you encountered an issue with noise during your visit. I agree to a certain extent that sometimes this is beyond the control of the hotel, however we do have a dedicated front desk team who are available 24 hours a day to respond to issues regarding noise. We also undertake regular proactive patrols of the corridors in an effort to minimise the effect of guests returning late at weekend.

I do hope that you will consider a return to our hotel in the near future, and I invite you to contact me directly in advance of a future reservation so that I may handle your booking personally and see that you experience a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Well the word express would have summed it all. This place is typically made for an overnight stay and nothing more. There was no focus on the quality of the building materials as the walls were not sound proof, when you get to the bathroom you can sense that the floor is vibrating as you step on it, you can see early that the furniture is old already and I think replacement of it must be considered.
The staff at reception are friendly and they tell you everything you need to know.
A stupid thing happened as one of the guests thought he was funny and messed with other guests but I like how the duty manager dealt with the situation.
Well I plus recommend looking for other options before booking this hotel and consider it as second choice.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Ghassan A

Thank you for your review. I get the impression from your comments that you left our hotel feeling a little underwhelmed, for which I am very sorry to hear. I am a little bit surprised by your comments regarding the furniture as the majority was replaced in 2013 and is less than 6 months old. That said, we welcome all feedback and yours will be given equally great consideration.
I am pleased that the Duty Manager was able to resolve an issue that you encountered. While I appreciate that we cannot offer all the services that you would expect to find in a full service hotel, we do focus greatly on delivering a superior and personal level of customer service alongside rates that are competitive against most city centre hotels. I do hope that these factors may influence a return visit.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

stay in this hotel with family as we were attending a family funeral. i have to say we really enjoyed our stay, the hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff were exceptional couldn't do enough for you . the rooms were spotless and very clean , lovely power shower with piping hot water. thanks to the two lovely men working at reception who put up with us till late hrs . really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear GalwaayGalwaygirl34

Thank you so much for such a positive review of your stay. I'm very pleased that you had such an enjoyable visit to our hotel - I only wish it could have been under happier circumstances. I am very pleased by your comments with regards to the staff here. We place a heavy focus on customer service and believe it is one of our main strengths. I will pass your comments along to the team.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Booked at the HIE Manchester East just to rest our heads for a night whilst visiting relatives. I chose this property for it's location (near to my relatives) and car parking (ample free CCTV-monitored parking). For the money, the facilities are excellent. Free breakfast was a bonus with a reasonable selection. The room was a decent size and very clean; Ditto the bathroom; my wife particularly liked the shower with its superb water flow (I can see her wanting one at home!) and I was intrigued by the dual purpose bathroom door which doubled as the door to the toilet cubicle - clever (each to their own). The staff were efficient and courteous. All in, a good stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mezcar
Daniel D, Senior Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Mezcar

Thank you for your review. It's always great when we receive such positive feedback on the services that we offer. We have had similar comments with regards to the bathroom door before and, I agree, it's clever and quirky piece of design. I am pleased that you were impressed!
Your comments on the team here are also most welcome and I will make sure that they are shared at our next team meeting.

We look forward to your next visit.