“Weekend away”

Ranked #52 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Basildon, United Kingdom
“Weekend away”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Fantastic weekend in a great hotel convenient for the Coronation Street tour by coach. The manager was very hands on at the hotel and was anxious to please everyone. Other staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms at Holiday Inns are usually good but this time we had an ingenious idea of a bathroom door that also closed off the toilet if partner is using the bathroom at the same time. Never seen that before. Must have been designed by a woman!! ha ha. Very comfortable room for 1 or 2 nights, there would not be enough room in the closet for more than that for your clothes to hang, but it is not designed for long stays anyway given its location.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor as I always request a higher floor away from the lifts as it is us...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear SheilaH702

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your stay. I am delighted that the entire team here worked together to make you feel welcome and I will make sure that your comments are communicated.
Your comments on the bathroom door also made me smile! I agree that the person who came up with that idea certainly had practicality in mind!

We look forward to seeing you again

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Very fantastic place to stay, I loved it so much, and next to a lovely restaurant and pub, very clean and lovely size room, and great price,5***** breakfast was lovely too, just wish there was bacon, still great tho, me and my wife will be coming again soon,

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dean B

Thank you very much for your review. It's great to hear that your stay with us was such an enjoyable one. I will pass along your comments to the entire team here at our next meeting.

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business during our short heatwave in July.

The check in was a breeze and was given a room on the 3rd floor.
As with other Holiday Inn Express properties the room was well maintained and clean.
The only thing missing was air-conditioning. The temperature in the room was too warm. (I found out in the morning during checkout that fans are available on request.

Had dinner on site as I walked in and turned straight back out again of the pub next door.

Breakfast was interesting affair as the staff coped well with the bus of overseas tourists.

Staff on site are friendly and helpful.

Happy to return when is cools off or they fit ac in the rooms.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Robbyroadwarrior

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We focus very heavily on delivering an excellent level of customer service to our guests and I am delighted that this has been reflected in your comments.

I take on board your comments regarding the temperature of the rooms. It's not often we get such glorious weather in Manchester and we try and enjoy it while we can! But I understand how it can make the rooms a little uncomfortable to sleep in. As you have alluded to, we do keep a number of fans on site for guests to use upon request. I invite you to contact us in advance of any future reservation where we would be delighted to have one prepared prior to your arrival.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is well appointed with good room sizes and excellent facilities. We were allocated a room that obviously adjoined the one next door which was OK with us until our neighbours decided to try and openthe door for at least 45 minutes after they arrived. They did eventually realise that this was not a cupboard, wardrobe or whatever they thought and gave up so no need to contact Reception. As past of a Coach Tour we were provided with dinner that evening. We were advised there would be a hot & cold buffet so was disappointed to realise this in effect meant a choice of soup or prawns to start, two choices of lukewarm main course and fresh fruit or chocolate cake for dessert. Slept very well but if possible the breakfast was even worse!!!! The promised fresh fruit was an apple or orange or tinned pears. Cereals, bread (for toasting) and overcooked scrambled eggs and sausages -hardly a full english.
Until breakfast thought this may be because we were part of a "package" but don't go here expecting reasonable food.

Room Tip: Fairly low level hotel with good access so any room should be OK I think, but having only been in on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jane W
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear JaneGKilmarnock

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as good as you were expecting. I understand that you stayed with us as part of a coach tour package which includes a buffet dinner. I thank you for your feedback on your experience and will take on board your comments. We are always looking for ways to improve our products and services and communication with our guests is vital to this process.

Our Express Start breakfast is included within the rate for all guests who stay with us. I am sorry to learn that it did not satisfy your expectations. It's important to remember that, as with all Holiday Inn Express hotels, that this is not marketed as a full English. Instead, we aim to provide our guests with a great range of continental items such as cereals, breads, pastries, fruits, yogurts, and cheeses with the addition of a selection of hot favourites.

I will discuss your feedback with the organisers of the coach tours on which you booked to make sure that the correct information is being given to guests.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Very good value, room clean and comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good though a little busy on Sunday morning but staff worked very hard to get the dishes replenished, would stay again . Don't use the restaurant the is next door the food and service was terrible, but must stress this restaurant is in anyway connected to the hote

Stayed July 2014
Dear christine s

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that your visit was such an enjoyable one and that the team here provided an excellent level of customer service during your stay.
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with the pub next door was not that great. As you have pointed out, they are not affiliated with our hotel in any way. We do have our own restaurant on site serving a range of delicious meals daily, with some items even available 24 hours a day. I hope that we can tempt you with one of these during your next visit.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Burntwood
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I was in the North West on business, and looked on the internet for somewhere reasonably priced and easily accessible from the vast motorway network there.
I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Gorton, East Manchester , via Laterooms.com , as it fitted the criteria I was looking for.
Check in was straight forward, and my room was on the 2nd floor, with a spacious double bed, tv, en-suite etc.
I ate in the restaurant there, and have to say my sirloin steak was cooked to perfection ( medium rare ).
My only criticism , ( and this is not the hotels fault ), is some noisy characters talking and laughing loudly in the corridor, in the evening, which in my opinion , is very inconsiderate for the other guests at the hotel, some of whom may be sleeping as they may have an early flight from Manchester Airport, the next morning.
Will definitely stop here again though !!

Stayed July 2014
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Barry210357

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We welcome all feedback from our guests and I am very pleased by your comments. It's particularly great that you enjoyed your evening meal with us and I will be sure to share your comments with the kitchen staff.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on 6th July. The Hotel is bright clean with friendly staff. The room was very spacious and bright with everything we needed on hand. The only downside to this hotel was the disappointing food on offer. Shepherds Pie, Hotpot or Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni. All very stodgy and down to the last remnants. Not what your looking for when you have just arrived from a long bus journey. Having said that breakfast in the morning was much nicer and fresher. Did lack some bacon though. The food made me short stop on 5 stars.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mitchell67

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear that overall your stay with us was a very pleasant one and your comments on the staff are particularly heartening. We welcome and value all honest feedback from our guests so that we can use it to improve the products and services that we offer. I take on board your comments with regards to the food options and will take it into consideration when implementing future changes.

We look forward to your next visit.