“Nice Hotel but DONT eat here!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stopped here over night. The hotel is nice and clean and the bedrooms very stylish but that's where it ends. the food was terrible. I would say nothing is cooked fresh on the premises, I had shepherds pie which tasted worse than a ready meal and was cold, I only had one mouth full. The chips were limp and also cold. The pudding was ok as it was a shop bought chocolate cake but other's were complaining about runny ice cream! The breakfast was no better, all I had was a bowl of cereal, we were told we would have a full English but there wasn't any bacon. One member of my family had a croissant but said that was tasteless, the orange juice had a very weird froth on it and tasted horrible. This hotel is ok for an over night stop but my advice would be eat elsewhere. We told the manager and when we said it obviously isn't cooked fresh here he agreed and when we said the pudding was shop bought he also agreed!

Room Tip: We had a quiet night, the room seemed to be at the back with houses beyond. No disturbances which wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear DebD133

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry to read that you were left feeling disappointed by your meal with us during your visit. Our dinner service on the whole has been very popular since it was introduced and we aim to provide our guests with a good quality meal for a reasonable price. Clearly on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectations. I will discuss your comments with the entire team and continue to monitor this area to ensure that any issues are resolved immediately.

Our Express Start breakfast is served in line with all Holiday Inn Express hotels throughout the UK and offers a wide range of cereals, yogurts, and pastries as well as a selection of Hot Favourites - including sausages, scrambled egg, and baked beans. This is included for all guests who book with us, whereas other similar competitor hotels will charge an extra amount on top of the room rate for this service.

I hope that this experience does not dissuade you from making a return visit to our hotel. I would be delighted to personally handle any future accommodation requirements that you may have with us and can be contacted directly at sgsm@hiexpressmanchester.co.uk

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Manchester East for 1 night whilst on business in Manchester.
Parking was easy and you could see your car from the bedroom window for extra security.
The room was clean and bright and everything worked as it should.
The pub was closed when I stayed there so McDonalds was a safety net.
Rooms at the rear of the hotel are fairly quiet.
Normal HIE breakfast, easy check out.

Room Tip: room overlooking the rear car park are quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Sunseekers-TRIP

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that your visit was an enjoyable one. We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Fantastic weekend in a great hotel convenient for the Coronation Street tour by coach. The manager was very hands on at the hotel and was anxious to please everyone. Other staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms at Holiday Inns are usually good but this time we had an ingenious idea of a bathroom door that also closed off the toilet if partner is using the bathroom at the same time. Never seen that before. Must have been designed by a woman!! ha ha. Very comfortable room for 1 or 2 nights, there would not be enough room in the closet for more than that for your clothes to hang, but it is not designed for long stays anyway given its location.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor as I always request a higher floor away from the lifts as it is us...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SheilaH702

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of your stay. I am delighted that the entire team here worked together to make you feel welcome and I will make sure that your comments are communicated.
Your comments on the bathroom door also made me smile! I agree that the person who came up with that idea certainly had practicality in mind!

We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Very fantastic place to stay, I loved it so much, and next to a lovely restaurant and pub, very clean and lovely size room, and great price,5***** breakfast was lovely too, just wish there was bacon, still great tho, me and my wife will be coming again soon,

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dean B

Thank you very much for your review. It's great to hear that your stay with us was such an enjoyable one. I will pass along your comments to the entire team here at our next meeting.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed for one night on business during our short heatwave in July.

The check in was a breeze and was given a room on the 3rd floor.
As with other Holiday Inn Express properties the room was well maintained and clean.
The only thing missing was air-conditioning. The temperature in the room was too warm. (I found out in the morning during checkout that fans are available on request.

Had dinner on site as I walked in and turned straight back out again of the pub next door.

Breakfast was interesting affair as the staff coped well with the bus of overseas tourists.

Staff on site are friendly and helpful.

Happy to return when is cools off or they fit ac in the rooms.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Robbyroadwarrior

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We focus very heavily on delivering an excellent level of customer service to our guests and I am delighted that this has been reflected in your comments.

I take on board your comments regarding the temperature of the rooms. It's not often we get such glorious weather in Manchester and we try and enjoy it while we can! But I understand how it can make the rooms a little uncomfortable to sleep in. As you have alluded to, we do keep a number of fans on site for guests to use upon request. I invite you to contact us in advance of any future reservation where we would be delighted to have one prepared prior to your arrival.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is well appointed with good room sizes and excellent facilities. We were allocated a room that obviously adjoined the one next door which was OK with us until our neighbours decided to try and openthe door for at least 45 minutes after they arrived. They did eventually realise that this was not a cupboard, wardrobe or whatever they thought and gave up so no need to contact Reception. As past of a Coach Tour we were provided with dinner that evening. We were advised there would be a hot & cold buffet so was disappointed to realise this in effect meant a choice of soup or prawns to start, two choices of lukewarm main course and fresh fruit or chocolate cake for dessert. Slept very well but if possible the breakfast was even worse!!!! The promised fresh fruit was an apple or orange or tinned pears. Cereals, bread (for toasting) and overcooked scrambled eggs and sausages -hardly a full english.
Until breakfast thought this may be because we were part of a "package" but don't go here expecting reasonable food.

Room Tip: Fairly low level hotel with good access so any room should be OK I think, but having only been in on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane W
Daniel D, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear JaneGKilmarnock

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as good as you were expecting. I understand that you stayed with us as part of a coach tour package which includes a buffet dinner. I thank you for your feedback on your experience and will take on board your comments. We are always looking for ways to improve our products and services and communication with our guests is vital to this process.

Our Express Start breakfast is included within the rate for all guests who stay with us. I am sorry to learn that it did not satisfy your expectations. It's important to remember that, as with all Holiday Inn Express hotels, that this is not marketed as a full English. Instead, we aim to provide our guests with a great range of continental items such as cereals, breads, pastries, fruits, yogurts, and cheeses with the addition of a selection of hot favourites.

I will discuss your feedback with the organisers of the coach tours on which you booked to make sure that the correct information is being given to guests.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Very good value, room clean and comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good though a little busy on Sunday morning but staff worked very hard to get the dishes replenished, would stay again . Don't use the restaurant the is next door the food and service was terrible, but must stress this restaurant is in anyway connected to the hote

Stayed: July 2014

Dear christine s

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that your visit was such an enjoyable one and that the team here provided an excellent level of customer service during your stay.
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with the pub next door was not that great. As you have pointed out, they are not affiliated with our hotel in any way. We do have our own restaurant on site serving a range of delicious meals daily, with some items even available 24 hours a day. I hope that we can tempt you with one of these during your next visit.

We look forward to seeing you again!