“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #47 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Stayed overnight as had early flight. It was cheap and nasty. Bedroom smelt sweaty and unclean and was very shabby. The bedding smelt sweaty and I decided not to bother sleeping in it but chose to lie on the bed in my clothes and my coat instead. Thank goodness I had an early flight and didnt have to spend long in there. Shuttle to the airport was convenient and efficient but I wont be staying there again. EVER

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you put comfort and cleanliness over cheap and not very cheerful
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. I am perplexed to hear that you think your bedding smelt sweaty as I must say that this is the first time that I have ever had that description used to describe one of our beds. I would have hoped that you contacted reception who would have done their best to solve your issue rather than to sleep in your clothes on top of the bed. However I do thank you for your comments.

Allison Diggle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hotel is really good value for money on its own, including parking for the week it becomes a serious bargain.
Check in was fast, friendly staff who were very helpful.
Our room was huge, very clean, freshly decorated and plenty of towels etc.
Checkout was also fast and efficient, as was the shuttle bus service with friendly helpful driver.
I'd definitely stay here again for the night before a flight :))

• Stayed March 2013
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

Excellent convenient location for manchester airport, clean facilities and quiet despite being so near to the airport. Very efficient staff and quick check in although later in the day reception was busy. Great transport to the airport and fast pick up on the return trip. Restaurant food didn't match up to the expectation set by the decor but food was edible and service was good.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
West Yorkshire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed at Bewleys at the end of our holiday using the hotel for our 14 nights parking. A bit rushed when we arrived, we parked our car then went into hotel and checked everything in only to be told to move our car to another area,I suppose we will know next time but you still have to return to car to put in a card hanger from the rear view mirror, as it was raining hard this was not much fun. When we arrived home from our holiday the check in was quick, and our room was very comfortable and very clean. We went down to the bar for a nightcap but it lacked atmosphere and did not feel welcoming, although drinks were fine and everything was tidy.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry to read that you felt the car parking process was less simple than you had expected. I understand fully the irritation of completing the form but the value of the items left dictates the procedure. I hope that you will still consider staying at our hotel when you are flying out of Manchester Airport as I do feel from your review that you were generally satisfied with the service.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed in the hotel over the Easter Weekend 2013 and I was very disappointed at the food and service that I received. There was a very small variety of food choice from the buffet. The milk was sour, the chicken was under cooked and the chips were luke-warm. The service was poor, for which I was very disappointed. My friends and I would not recommend this hotel and will not be revisiting.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Reviewer,
I am sorry but I do not agree with your review, your group were provided with a buffet to meet your specific budget and I can state very clearly that the chicken was not undercooked nor the milk sour. I think that based upon your comments that we were not the hotel for you but I am still sorry to read that you will not be revisiting us.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel from Friday March 29th until Monday April 1st with my son and his soccer team. We ate at the hotel on Friday evening and breakfast on Saturday morning. A few hours later, my son along with ten other people were violently ill vomiting and diarrhea. We later learned that at least another twelve from a different sports group also dining and staying at this hotel had the same symptoms. My son had vomited on his clothes and mine too. Unfortunately, as it was a bank holiday weekend, laundry facilites were not available according to their information pack. On Sunday morning, on the ground floor by the elevators were two piles of vomit, which remained there for at least two hours. The bedrooms were clean enough, but behind the bedroom curtains was a large amount of black mould which is potentially a serious health hazzard. You can see that this had been painted over at least once before, instead of fixing the damp problem they hid it. On the whole, I found the staff to be unfriendly, the service to be inefficient and the food probably the worst I have ever paid for. I would certainly not recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of travelling to Manchester and would probably steer clear of Bewleys hotels in the future. In Ireland, we have come to expect a high level of service, extra friendly staff, especially to children and exceptionally tasty well prepared food. I am amazed by the good reviews previously left on this site. Maybe we are spoiled over here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Tripadvisor, I am sorry to read that your stay with us was so troublesome. The hotel are fully aware of your group and I resent the implication that it was the hotel that made you ill, rather than that as confirmed by the teachers on the day that it was a sickness bug that was brought along with you. However in the event that any food poisoning allegation was substantiated by a Doctor’s report we would request that you follow the correct procedure and contact Environmental Services at Manchester City Council Town Hall Albert Square Manchester M60 2RA, where they will open a formal investigation.
I apologise that you felt that the staff were not friendly, however it can be a challenge to remain sunny at 11.30pm when you find yourselves repeatedly asking children not to kick a football around in a public place with no parental support.
I regret that you did not give me the time to advise you of the findings of our internal investigation before posting your review.